Fat Is Your Friend. I have tried a bunch of recipes, and none were quite right (none were even close to my mom's). Over-mixing will result in burgers, meatballs or meatloaves with a firm texture. What's better than a hearty meatloaf? When I was a young teenager, my uncle George had a very successful Steak and Chop house in South Jersey called the Little Ambassador or aka “The Little A.” It was the kind of place that Mortons and the other chain steakhouses try to imitate today. Much has changed since the days of cowboys, cattle drives and the Old West. Went to 2-1/2 pounds of meat/2 eggs and it needed to cook longer - did one hour as called for, then upped the temp to 375 for another 15-20 minutes. Form into a loaf shape and place in prepared baking pan. Get this Beef Flank Steak recipe stuffed and rolled with classic Italian herbs and beef salami. The most common recipe nowadays consists of ground beef, carrots, sausages, boiled eggs and breadcrumbs, cooked in the oven and normally served with a side-dish of mashed potatoes or rice. Total comfort food. Why put the bacon on top? It is then wrapped in aluminum foil (historically, banana leaves) and steamed for an hour. The confusion, according to Meat Loaf, is rooted in songwriter Jim Steinman's longwinded style. In Germany, meatloaf is referred to as Hackbraten, Faschierter Braten or Falscher Hase 'mock hare'. of dried parsley, added more egg, used cream instead of milk and used crushed Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs. % DV **, 0 it could have used less bread crumbs and maybe even another egg for a meatier flavor and firmer texture. I should have used a larger pan. Ahhh finally a silent stomach . Information is not currently available for this nutrient. The meat is molded into a roll with the sausages and hard boiled eggs set in the middle. Very yummy, has changed my view of meatloaf! Strips actually grind smoother than cubes. In Germany, meatloaf is referred to as Hackbraten, Faschierter Braten or Falscher Hase 'mock hare'. The Cuban version of meatloaf is called pulpeta. However morcón is a beef roulade, not a meatloaf. This article is about the meat dish. Heinz 57). It is not customary to stuff lihamureke with anything. Bake 45 to 55 minutes, until instant-read thermometer inserted into center registers 160°F; brush with remaining 1/4 cup ketchup during last 10 minutes, if desired. Some good folks tried to succeed at making it into a doughnut shop, but to no avail. Use a gentle touch with ground beef. Five stars alone just for the addition of the steak sauce (I used A-1) which was a unique and quite tasty addition, but unfortunately it was not enough to carry the meatloaf. Called pieczeń rzymska ("Roman roast") or klops is made of ground pork and/or beef, onions and garlic, with obligatory hard boiled egg inside. It is known as albondigón and has a small size. The Vietnamese meatloaf version is called chả. Every grocery store in America carries the 1/3 Beef, Pork and Veal combo that Americans have come to expect and it is a good place to start one’s experimentation towards the discovery of their own “house loaf”. [3] Most of the time it is not filled (e.g., in Germany), but it is wrapped in ham before baking it. When moving to the 2 legged critter, freshness is critical. Two reasons. ** Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000-calorie diet. Congrats! I have never liked meatloaf but my dad wanted meatloaf for supper , so I figured I would try this one because it actually sounded good, with the onions and green peppers. [5] The dish was brought to public attention, albeit mistakenly referred to as a sausage, in the second episode of the third season of The Cosby Show, entitled "Food for Thought". Meatloaf of minced meat was mentioned in the Roman cookery collection Apicius as early as the 5th century. Preheat oven to 350°F. Another variation of the dish involves wrapping the meatloaf with pork crow or mesentery. Allow to stand 5 minutes before slicing. You could compare it to maybe the texture of bologna or a frankfurter only the flavor is much different. For the bread crumbs I used crushed, herb-seasoned stuffing mix. It should be a sponge for moisture, oozing juices when you eat it but not leaving a puddle on your plate. [13] The name presumably comes from the German Klops 'meatball'. I don’t understand how anyone couldn’t love meatloaf. Like how to keep the clientele at the bar for one more round even if the table was ready. This needs a lot of help, but definitely has potential - but with all the tweaking I feel is necessary it wouldn't be the same recipe. Yum! Nutrition information per serving: 276 Calories; 80.1 Calories from fat; 8.9g Total Fat (3.5 g Saturated Fat; 0.2 g Trans Fat; 0.5 g Polyunsaturated Fat; 3.6 g Monounsaturated Fat;) 115 mg Cholesterol; 630 mg Sodium; 19 g Total Carbohydrate; 0.5 g Dietary Fiber; 8.4 g Total Sugars; 28 g Protein; 6 g Added Sugars; 33.1 mg Calcium; 3.5 mg Iron; 529 mg Potassium; 0.2 mcg Vitamin D; 0.3 mg Riboflavin; 6.7 mg NE Niacin; 0.5 mg Vitamin B6; 2.9 mcg Vitamin B12; 253 mg Phosphorus; 6.6 mg Zinc; 24 mcg Selenium; 123.9 mg Choline. Flashy red leather rolled and pleated booths, pictures of race horses on the walls and a cast of characters lifted from a Damon Runyon or Dashiell Hammett story line. It is not customary to stuff lihamureke with anything. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. ( Log Out /  © Copyright 2020, 20 Things to Cook This Month That Have Nothing to Do With Thanksgiving, 15 Vegan Muffin Recipes for Easy Breakfasts, 15 Comfort Food Dinners That Start With Creamy Alfredo Sauce, 2-Ingredient Snacks That Are Too Easy Not to Make, Use Your Stale Bread in These Savory Bread Puddings, 13 Spiked Apple Cider Cocktails to Celebrate the Season, 15 Comfort Food Casseroles Inspired by World Cuisines, 12 Recipes to Turn Extra Chicken into Healthy Main Dish Salads, 15 Ground Beef Soup Recipes for Easy Weeknight Dinners, Ground Turkey Slow Cooker Recipes for Easy Weeknight Meals, 11 Top Chicken Casseroles That Lean to the Healthy Side, 12 Classic Italian Recipes Made Easy in the Instant Pot, Nutrition Didn't dry it at all. Hardinera is a Filipino meatloaf made with diced or ground pork topped with sliced hard-boiled eggs, pineapples, carrots, bell peppers, peas, tomatoes, and raisins, among others. of dried sage, 1/2 tsp. It is served with boiled or mashed potatoes and brown gravy sweetened with red currant jam.[7]. So what’s in that meatloaf? [4] The Bulgarian rulo Stefani meatloaf is similar to the Hungarian Stefánia meatloaf, with hard-boiled eggs, and sometimes with chopped carrots and pickled gherkins in the middle. A meatloaf that tastes like a meatloaf is supposed to. [2] Meatloaf in the contemporary American sense did not appear in cookbooks until the late 19th century.[1]. Never had a meatloaf so simple yet so flavorful in my life. BTW, this goes great with Allie's Delicious Macaroni and Cheese (also from this site) as they both cook at the same temp. Use about 2 slices of bread, torn into pieces, for the soft bread crumbs. For those who had problems with crumbling, a little extra egg will do the trick. ( Log Out /  Let stand 10 minutes. In the Czech Republic, meatloaf is referred to as sekaná ('chopped'). Step-by-Step . Rather than baking this in a loaf pan I just shaped and baked it on a foil-lined cookie sheet and it was perfectly done in an hour (160 degrees). My secret trick keeps it moist and tender without falling apart! Chilean meatloaf, known as Asado Aleman (German roasted meat) is a staple of southern Chilean cuisine, especially in areas known for having been influenced by the arrival of German colonizers during the 18th and 19th century. [18], In the UK there are regional pork meatloaf dishes known as haslet, which can be eaten cold or hot.[19]. I believe the Adam and Eve story provided in Genesis has provided NO proof that God has ever locked into His created order any prohibitions against homosexuality. It is usually served warm and can then be served with various sauces, but can also be eaten cold with a loaf of bread. Perfect for breakfast, lunch and everything in-between. This meatloaf freezes well too. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour or until done. My husband loves it and he is picky. "Velvety" and "rich" should come to mind when tasting it, tender enough to slice with a fork but firm enough to pick up that bite without it breaking. This tradition of additions still lives on, but with new goals: primarily, producing a lower-fat dish with superior binding and consistency. I will wager that I, with my many years of knife experience, cannot cut down and grind a bird with the same efficiency as the commercial slaughterhouse.