For la comida, we recommend… “We were about to shut [the restaurant] down when we got the idea of doing something different to keep breathing,” says owner Pedro Sañudo. Did you know that a Mexican invented contraceptives? I focused much of my time and stomach on street food in Mexico City, and I was happy and excited everyday. Address: On the corner of Guadalajara and Puebla streets, in Roma, Mexico City But opting out of some of these cookies may affect your browsing experience. Just enter your name and email below and I promise to only send you delicious emails :). Prices: 20 MXN per giant carnitas taco. But the memories and experiences are well worth it. Mexico City’s reputation as a foodie paradise has definitely spread to the masses. Mexican street food guide! Have you been to Mexico City? Unlike tamales which are always made with yellow corn masa, tlacoyos are often made with blue corn masa. Although you can order them any time of day, chilaquiles are usually served for breakfast along with eggs or meat. Another lunchtime favorite in Mexico City is street tacos. Churrería El Moro is by all means the most famous place (maybe the best) to eat churros in the world. The main dishes were numerous and consisted of stewed or roasted meats which could be mutton stew with chili, roast chicken stuffed with onion, or less commonly beef dishes. You can also buy them in bags and eat them as a crispy, high-protein snack if you are adventurous enough to eat them by themselves. Open hours: 11 am – 3 am daily It has even become somewhat of a foodie destination for those traveling to indulge in the spicy, the savory, and the sweet. If you prefer something less sweet for dessert or if you like pastries for breakfast, find a panaderia or bakery in Mexico City and get a pan dulce or two. It is a high-fat, and strongly-flavored meat. Salud! This lovely tasting cocktail is made with Tequila, Cointreau, Lime or Lemon juice. I went with the salsa verde. And you can enjoy them 24 hours a day. Los Sifones is a real family style Mexican restaurant that serves outstanding food. [3], Once considered plebeian fare, by the 19th century tacos had become a standard of Mexico City's cuisine. The cuisine of Mexico City encompasses a variety of cuisines. These tacos, which originate from central Mexico, use grilled meat that is cut from a grill spit. This website uses cookies to improve your experience while you navigate through the website. Hope this Mexico City travel guide gives you some ideas about things you must-eat when you’re in Mexico City. The ultimate Scandinavia itinerary – 12 full days, 6 fantastic stops, The BEST tips and advice for staying in hostels with kids. Mole is often served atop chicken, pork, or another meat. When it comes to food, one of the greatest things about Mexico City is that you’ll find Mexican regional food from around the country. If you travel for food, this Bangkok travel guide for food lovers is for you. You'll find chilaquiles on the menu at most breakfast spots. Roma Norte is a safe, trendy, and very pleasant to walk around, neighborhood in Mexico City, and it makes a perfect base. But they are made from different varieties of the plant, so while tequila is a mezcal, not all mezcals are tequilas. This is a Mexico City tacos institution that my buddy Lalo from La Ruta de la Garnacha took me to when we were on our ultimate tacos tour of Mexico City. It is ideal and aesthetically beautiful, but it is not a sin nor does it really affect the taste of using a short one or a martini glass. From traditional pork, chicken, or beef, to spicy chorizo, which is a pork sausage typically encased in the lining of the pig intestines, you’ll find plenty of options when it comes to tacos in Mexico City.