Overtightening the truss will though.   You cannot paste images directly. Unlike standard truss rods, which can only correct a neck that is too concave (under-bowed), the bi-flex truss rod can compensate concave or convex (over-bowed) curvature by generating a correcting force in either direction as needed. Pull the sixth string (tautly, remember) to the fourth key and cut it. Caution: Do not over-tighten the springs, as this can put unnecessary tension on the arm during tremolo use. .13's would kill me. Check your tuning, then re-check the gap with the feeler gauge and re-adjust as needed. Re-tune, play and make further adjustments as needed. Powered by Invision Community. Murphcaster Senior Stratmaster. Most Fender guitars and basses are equipped with a standard truss rod (of which there are in turn two types: one that adjusts at the neck heel and one that adjusts at the headstock; both operate on the same principle). Yahoo fait partie de Verizon Media. The pitch of the neck on your guitar has been preset at the factory and in most cases will not need to be adjusted. I've got the $75 off $199 President's Day coupon that excludes almost everything but not most case brands. Nines feel and respond amazing on these guitars and many vintage surf-style guitars were designed specifically to work with the lighter-gauge strings. If your tuning keys have a screw on the end of the button, check the tightness of the screw. Clear editor. × I know everyone says I should install .13s to prove my manhood but Im kind of loving the tone and playability I get from these light ones and my tuning stability is better than ever. Now tune to pitch. The oil insulates against moisture and reduces friction and metal fatigue. How can I find out when my Mexican-made instrument was manufactured? Nine-gauge strings do not always feel wimpy and some guitars absolutely scream for them. Adjustments should be made after all of the above have been accomplished. On many American series guitars, a Micro-Tilt adjustment is offered. Experiment with the height until the desired sound and feel is achieved. For a two-pivot model such as the American Series bridge, use your tremolo arm to pull the bridge back flush with the body and adjust the two pivot screws to the point where the tremolo plate sits entirely flush at the body (not lifted at the front or back of the plate). Intonation may need to be adjusted and it's possible you might need a slight tightening of the truss rod. I feel like I … Strings Fender Super 250L, (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel p/n 073-0250-003. Upload or insert images from URL. Line the six tuning machines so that the first string keyhole is set at 1:00, the second at 2:00, the third and fourth at 3:00, the fifth at 4:00, and the sixth at 5:00. I know everyone says I should install .13s to prove my manhood but Im kind of loving the tone and playability I get from these light ones and my tuning stability is better than ever. Make sure to stretch your strings properly. String trees are another point of contact and should also be lubricated; a small amount of lip balm applied with a toothpick works well. First, check your tuning. Tags: pre-cbs; string gauge; vintage; Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 Next > Carl Sars Strat-Talk Member. Probably 9s. I play 10s on most of my guitars. Display as a link instead, × Metal expands when warm and contracts when cool. nnnm, Apr 24, 2016 #1. I feel like I have more touch and control over dynamics and such. For these, you'll want to pre-cut the strings to achieve the proper length and desired amount of winds. I've got a really good thing going here and I'm paranoid to screw it up. I need replacement strings for my Mexican fender Stratocaster and have got very comfortable with the old strings so would like to get the same ones. Adjust bridge saddles to the height according to the chart, then re-tune. To reduce string slippage at the tuning key, we recommend using a tie technique. I want to buy a $200 case to hold this $200 guitar. Pull the second string about a 1/2" (13 mm) past the headcap and cut it. Standard keys. Start by loading all the strings through the bridge and then loading them onto the keys as follows: Locking tuning keys. Adjustment at headstock (allen wrench): Sight down the edge of the fingerboard from behind the headstock, looking toward the body of the instrument. any one know the size they come from the factory ??? Vintage keys. It's almost impossible to mess up your guitar by adjusting the intonation. Then loosen all six screws located at the front edge of the bridge plate, raising them so that they all measure approximately 1/16" (1.6 mm) above the top of the bridge plate. Are they .09 or .10s? As close as desired (allowing for string vibration), Set of automotive feeler gauges (.002-.025) (0.05–1 mm), 6" (150 mm) ruler (with 1/32" and 1/64" increments) (0.5 mm increments), Light machine oil (3-in-1, toy locomotive or gun oil). Allowing the bridge to float freely (no tension on the tremolo arm) using the claw screws in the tremolo cavity, adjust the bridge to your desired angle—Fender spec is a 1/8" (3.2 mm) gap at rear of bridge.   Your previous content has been restored. No one plays 13s unless they play acoustic or teh brutalz. Re-tune and repeat several times. Fender literally wrote the book on electric basses, laying the foundation for musical innovation and evolution. This can be attributed to the moisture and acidity that transfers from your hands, or it can be a direct effect of humidity in the air. Relevance. A shim is placed in the neck pocket, underneath the butt end of the neck. Découvrez comment nous utilisons vos informations dans notre Politique relative à la vie privée et notre Politique relative aux cookies. For me it's more a matter of feel than tone though I do feel that 10s sound slightly better on strats than 9s. Remember, guitars are tempered instruments! For strings to stay in tune, they should be changed regularly. How often should I have a set-up adjustment done on my instrument? How you wind the strings onto the pegs is very important, whether you're using locking, standard or vintage tuning keys. Shimming is a procedure used to adjust the pitch of the neck in relation to the body. Note: These are minimum specifications that are meant as a guide; they should not be construed as hard and fast rules, as we realize that every player's subjective requirements often differ. Depress all the strings at the last fret. To be exact - a Squier Standard Stratocaster Ltd. Cherryburst w/ Mint Pickguard, fwiw. I've always liked 10s, personally. × To check if your strings need changing, run a finger underneath the string and feel for dirt, rust or flat spots. First, remove the tremolo back cover. Bending is 'easier' with 9s as in less resistance, but having played 10s so long, when I try to do bending with 9s, I feel like they are way too floppy and don't have enough resistance.