More recipe ideas and serving suggestions featuring bananas: The contents of this website are for educational purposes and are not intended to offer personal medical advice. Banana peels contain plant chemicals in the form of antioxidants, and have long been used in traditional and folk medicine as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory to promote wound healing such as for bug bites, minor burns, and sunburns. Like almost all bananas, Cavendish lacks genetic diversity, which makes it vulnerable to diseases, threatening both commercial cultivation and small-scale subsistence farming. there also so small, that [15] Each pseudostem normally produces a single inflorescence, also known as the "banana heart". I’m not much of a banana person (unless it’s cooked in rum and butter, though that combo will make anything taste divine), but I loved having banana trees around when I lived in zone 10b. [78][79][80], The excessive use of fertilizers often left in abandoned plantations contributes greatly to eutrophication in local streams and lakes, and harms aquatic life after algal blooms deprive fish of oxygen. The World Wildlife Fund (WWF) stated that banana production produced more waste than any other agricultural sector, mostly from discarded banana plants, bags used to cover the bananas, strings to tie them, and containers for transport.[81]. not treated with ethylene), and may show up at the supermarket fully green. [136][137], In Thailand, it is believed that a certain type of banana plants may be inhabited by a spirit, Nang Tani, a type of ghost related to trees and similar plants that manifests itself as a young woman. An article from 1917 published in the Journal of the American Medical Association defended the nutritional value of bananas, citing rumored beliefs during that time: “The banana is a cause of indigestion and a treacherous dietary component…” [1]. what do i do in the evening if i get hungry? [61] Jules Verne introduces bananas to his readers with detailed descriptions in Around the World in Eighty Days (1872). [14], When a banana plant is mature, the corm stops producing new leaves and begins to form a flower spike or inflorescence. Goes over the process bananas take to be transported into the U.S (while also listing the countries bananas are grown from, and how much those countries export out into other countries); as well as the ripening process and more info on the fruits background. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudostem. ", In India, bananas serve a prominent part in many festivals and occasions of Hindus. How fun would that be to have bananas amid my conifers and aspens? You can sign in to vote the answer. [148], "Banana" is also a slur aimed at some asian people, that are said to be "yellow on the outside, white on the inside". As new growth occurs in the centre of the pseudostem the edges are forced apart. The main ones would be potassium and pectin. The No-Waste Vegetable Cookbook is my latest book. The term "banana" is also used as the common name for the plants that produce the fruit. Why is the glycemic load score higher if the glycemic index is low? [69] The cultivars Dwarf Cavendish and Grand Nain (Chiquita Banana) gained popularity in the 1950s after the previous mass-produced cultivar, Gros Michel (also an AAA group cultivar), became commercially unviable due to Panama disease, caused by the fungus Fusarium oxysporum which attacks the roots of the banana plant. Plantains are one of many kinds of cooking bananas, which are not always distinct from dessert bananas. While it is not the most abundant compound (as there are many others that play a part in the scent of bananas) it has the most potent smell. Scorpion. Plantains are used in various stews and curries or cooked, baked or mashed in much the same way as potatoes, such as the pazham pachadi dish prepared in Kerala. [103] Genes from wild banana species are conserved as DNA and as cryopreserved pollen[103] and banana seeds from wild species are also conserved, although less commonly, as they are difficult to regenerate. [64], Peasant sector banana growers produce for the world market in the Caribbean, however. Rather, it forms a succulent stalk, or pseudostem. I believe the secret to a good life is... Read more. As a non-seasonal crop, bananas are available fresh year-round. Have you ate quail eggs, how do they compare to chicken eggs? A score of 10 or less is rated as low GL. Pereira A, Maraschin M. Banana (Musa spp) from peel to pulp: ethnopharmacology, source of bioactive compounds and its relevance for human health. The banana fruits develop from the banana heart, in a large hanging cluster, made up of tiers (called "hands"), with up to 20 fruit to a tier. To make matters even more complicated, some people say bananas can also be classified as berries. [23][24] The banana equivalent dose of radiation was developed in 1995 as a simple teaching-tool to educate the public about the natural, small amount of K-40 radiation occurring in every human and in common foods. They’re fragile for their size and shred easily, resulting in the feathery fronds we usually associate with banana palms. The genus Musa was created by Carl Linnaeus in 1753. Despite this, the original names are still recognized by some authorities, leading to confusion. Garden Betty is where I write about modern homesteading, farm-to-table cooking, and outdoor adventuring — all that encompass a life well-lived outdoors. It is unclear if any existing cultivar can replace Cavendish bananas, so various hybridisation and genetic engineering programs are attempting to create a disease-resistant, mass-market banana. were initially from naturally occurring parthenocarpic (seedless) individuals of Musa acuminata banksii in New Guinea. Where is the IAP also known as MAP sensor on a 1992 Dodge Stealth? [38] Members of the "plantain subgroup" of banana cultivars, most important as food in West Africa and Latin America, correspond to the Chiquita description, having long pointed fruit. So, it’s an herb and a berry… How’s that for confusing? The fruit sprouts out from the flowering parts of the tree, but for that to happen it takes time. Refrigeration will preserve the flavor for another week, even if the peels continue to darken. Already I see a few people answered this question without research. The range of colors, sizes and shapes is far wider than in those grown or sold in Africa, Europe or the Americas. [12][13] Leaves are spirally arranged and may grow 2.7 metres (8.9 ft) long and 60 cm (2.0 ft) wide. It can also refer to members of the genus Ensete, such as the snow banana (Ensete glaucum) and the economically important false banana (Ensete ventricosum). Worldwide, there is no sharp distinction between "bananas" and "plantains". [71] Likewise, Dwarf Cavendish and Grand Nain are in no danger of extinction, but they may leave supermarket shelves if disease makes it impossible to supply the global market. There is no cure for BBTD, but it can be effectively controlled by the eradication of diseased plants and the use of virus-free planting material. The base of the petiole widens to form a sheath; the tightly packed sheaths make up the pseudostem, which is all that supports the plant. Extracting juice is difficult, because when a banana is compressed, it simply turns to pulp. [87] Ecuador and the Philippines were the leading exporters with 5.4 and 3.3 million tonnes, respectively, and the Dominican Republic was the leading exporter of plantains with 210,350 tonnes. [62] These companies were monopolistic, vertically integrated (meaning they controlled growing, processing, shipping and marketing) and usually used political manipulation to build enclave economies (economies that were internally self-sufficient, virtually tax exempt, and export-oriented that contribute very little to the host economy). the real answer is because the contain more tah one seed inside them..... even a strawbry is not a berry because there seed's are on the outside, and most berry's like black and blue arnt berry's because they are made up of lots of little thing's with one seed in each...... other examples of real berry's are mellon, tomato, bannana, cucumber and lot's more.... hope this help's...... i got my answer of a tv program in england cald Q.I. In many tropical countries, green (unripe) bananas used for cooking represent the main cultivars. [119][120] The flavor resembles that of artichoke. The scientific name for banana is Musa, from the Musaceae family of flowering tropical plants, which distinctively showcases the banana fruit clustered at the top of the plant. India is the world leader in this sort of production, but many other Asian and African countries where climate and soil conditions allow cultivation also host large populations of banana growers who sell at least some of their crop. Despite some negative attention, bananas are nutritious and may even carry the title of the first “superfood,” endorsed by the American Medical Association in the early 20th century as a health food for children and a treatment for celiac disease. [49], Southeast Asia remains the region of primary diversity of the banana. A banana does have a food label that states its nutritional facts and depending on where you buy them, it will possibly be different (this being the brand). Harvested shoots are first boiled in lye to prepare fibers for yarn-making. [27], The word banana is thought to be of West African origin, possibly from the Wolof word banaana, and passed into English via Spanish or Portuguese.[28]. [3] This can extend to other members of the genus Musa, such as the scarlet banana (Musa coccinea), the pink banana (Musa velutina), and the Fe'i bananas. The commercially important Cavendish subgroup is severely affected. This property is attributed to the degradation of chlorophyll leading to the accumulation of a fluorescent product in the skin of the fruit. How did Eli Whitney change things socially? Black Sigatoka (also known as black leaf streak) has spread to banana plantations throughout the tropics from infected banana leaves that were used as packing material. How long will the footprints on the moon last? However, more care is required for shipping the Cavendish,[92] and its quality compared to Gros Michel is debated. Both fruit-bearing and fibrous varieties of the banana plant have been used. [146][147] Bananas were hung from nooses around the campus of American University in May 2017 after the student body elected its first black woman student government president. Store at room temperature away from direct sunlight. Where is Martha Elliott Bill Elliott ex-wife today? I’ve tried this several times and eventually just left the rachis on, since I never noticed a difference in the size or quality of my bananas whenever I trimmed the rachis. For example, the outermost fibers of the shoots are the coarsest, and are suitable for tablecloths, while the softest innermost fibers are desirable for kimono and kamishimo. balbisiana.[35]. [25][26] The K-40 in a banana emits about 15 becquerels or 0.1 micro-sieverts (units of radioactivity exposure),[27] an amount that does not add to the total body radiation dose when a banana is consumed. For a different flavor, add 1-2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or nut/seed butter, a splash of vanilla extract and cinnamon, or ½ cup frozen berries. Banana leaves are simply extensions of the sheaths. Among other things, ethylene stimulates the formation of amylase, an enzyme that breaks down starch into sugar, influencing the taste of bananas. Helping American University Investigate Bananas Found Hanging From Nooses", "How the 'banana for scale' became the yardstick of the Internet", "Banana Peel Applied to the Solid Phase Extraction of Copper and Lead from River Water: Preconcentration of Metal Ions with a Fruit Waste", "Banana and Plantain: An Overview with Emphasis on Pacific Island Cultivars", https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Banana&oldid=987395587, Wikipedia articles needing page number citations from August 2020, Wikipedia indefinitely semi-protected pages, Wikipedia indefinitely move-protected pages, Short description is different from Wikidata, Taxobox articles possibly missing a taxonbar, Articles containing potentially dated statements from January 2013, All articles containing potentially dated statements, Articles containing Spanish-language text, Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License, This page was last edited on 6 November 2020, at 19:24.