My Aunt Louise was the bomb! Bulgur couscous seems like a popular dish. A gluten intolerance or sensitivity is the body’s inability to digest or break down the gluten protein found in wheat and certain other grains. Whole-grain wheat is nutritious, but also contains gluten, which causes problems for some…, Replacing refined grains in favor of whole grains has been linked to various health benefits. Our website services, content, and products are for informational purposes only. Completing the CAPTCHA proves you are a human and gives you temporary access to the web property. Routine consumption of fiber-rich whole grains, such as bulgur, is associated with multiple health benefits, including disease prevention and improved digestion. This is a really yummy side dish that goes well with chicken or fish. So let us look at them in detail. For every one part bulgur, you typically need about two parts water. Wheat was domesticated in the Fertile Crescent in ancient times, and it is thought that bulgur has a similarly ancient history. While bulgur wheat may not always be your first grain of choice, it is surprisingly nutritious and has a number of health benefits. Fiber-rich foods like bulgur may reduce chronic disease risk, promote weight loss and improve digestion and gut health. Bulgur (on the right in the photo above), is considered a whole grain. But it's available in most organic stores and of course at Middle Eastern grocery shops. It may be made from any variety of wheat, but durum is the most common. (Groats is a general term for hulled grains, including oat, rye and barley as well as wheat.) The Mediterranean diet, based on the traditional Greek diet, is known for its many health benefits. Our editors will review what you’ve submitted and determine whether to revise the article. Since bulgur is whole grain and is rich in fiber, doctors recommend replacing regular rice with it. Wheat is harvested and milled in … Wheat is one of the most important food sources for the planet’s seven billion people. Bulgur. It is nutritious too! Your IP: 45.63.34.31 It's light and tasty. Since the early 1900s, bulgur has grown in popularity as a health and gourmet food in the United States and western Europe. My local gourmet grocery store use to sell single servings of this, but they quit selling it. Kibbeh is a wonderful dish from the Middle East traditionally made with lamb meat but beef is acceptable, too. I got this recipe from a friend, it is a very popular Turkish/Middle Eastern salad. Updates? It's a traditional basic recipe. Bulgur is a grain consisting of groats of wheat. Think side dishes, grain bowls, soups, salads, breakfast. Copyright © 2019 Her Campus Media LLC. Foods to eat, foods to avoid and a sample Mediterranean menu for one week. Any type of dried fruit can be used in place of the dried cranberries. In fact, a single serving provides over 30% of the Reference Daily Intake (RDI) for thus nutrient (1, 2). Industrially prepared bulgur is parboiled, then oven dried and ground and sifted mechanically to precise grades. It may be made from any variety of wheat, but durum is the most common. Definitely worth all the ingredients! It's a family favorite! If you’re interested in trying bulgur wheat, make sure to consume it as part of a healthy, balanced diet to ensure you’re getting all the nutrients your body needs. This is really good moussaka that only needs a green salad or some whole-grain bread to round it out. Bulgur cooks quickly and is versatile. Also, bulgur can be used instead of oats or bread crumbs to bind meatloaf and meatballs. This is a traditional dish during Ramadan months especially. You may need to download version 2.0 now from the Chrome Web Store. Its texture is similar to quinoa or couscous. But switching up your side dishes can bring a refreshing change to a classic comfort food dish. The addition of soybeans makes it a meal in itself. Bulgur is probably the easiest thing to cook. A wonderful fresh and healthy salad alternative to any meal. The really finely milled bulgur is called selmonila. It's also one of my American husband's favorites. But I'm not sure what to cook with it now. It may also be shelved with other Middle Eastern items. But first, what is bulgar? Melungeons are a group of people in the US that are claimed to have Turkish ancestry. This combination of bulgur and rice is nutritious, high in protein, low in sugar and very tasty with all Asian side dishes. Don't think we can get it in Zimbabwe - what alternative can I use? Bulgur is a whole grain made from cracked wheat. I've eaten at this friend's house a lot and they use a lot of bulgur in their cooking. Bulgur is an awesome way to add a new twist to my boring routine and get all the good nutrients my body doesn't get from midnight pizza runs. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. Bulgur is fairly easy to find in any major grocery store and relatively inexpensive. Another name for bulgur is wheat groats. She has her M.S.... Dry bulgur, a cereal food made of parboiled wheat groats. Certain People May Want to Avoid or Limit It, Mediterranean Diet 101: A Meal Plan and Beginner's Guide, Wheat 101: Nutrition Facts and Health Effects, 14 Healthy Whole-Grain Foods (Including Gluten-Free Options), Gluten Intolerance Food List: What to Avoid and What to Eat. Bulgur does not require cooking, although it can be included in cooked dishes; soaking in water is all that is needed. I recently became a vegetarian and have been learning about different foods so that I can add some variety in my diet. Serve with plain yogurt. Lima beans add some extra color, not to mention fiber and protein! Commonly prepared like rice, bulgur has a nutty flavor and is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, and iron. They include its ability to improve digestion, stimulate growth and development, boost circulation, aid in sleep, prevent chronic disease, and protect the immune system, among others. Another way to prevent getting this page in the future is to use Privacy Pass. Salads are definitely the most common use of bulgur. If you’re unsure, start with a small amount to see how your body responds (11, 12). Commonly prepared like rice, bulgur has a nutty flavor and is a good source of dietary fiber, protein, and iron. I make mine in the microwave, I just add some hot water to the bulgur and microwave it. Whole grains can be added to baked goods or used in soups and stews. This diet has helped to control my sugar and triglyceride levels. Medium-ground is preferred for tabbouleh and other salads, stews, multigrain breads and other baked goods, and vegetarian burgers. Very basic yet tasty side that goes well with grilled or roasted chicken. But more specifically, bulgur is a whole grain that's partially boiled and cracked.Unfortunately, it isn't gluten-free, but it is vegan and packed with vitamins and minerals like iron, potassium, and fib er.. Because of the fiber content, this unusual grain is also really good for digestion. I have substituted quinoa for the bulgur to great success (prepare according to package directions). The biggest challenge I find with living on my own is finding ways to switch up my meals and diversify my carbs. Are you sure it's not available? It’s easy to cook and can be added to many dishes, including salads, stews and breads. Bulgur, also called bulgar, bulghur, or burghul, is a form of whole wheat that has been cleaned, steamed or parboiled, dried, and then ground into grains of several distinct sizes. Bulgur wheat is a mixture of the groats (hulled kernels) from different types of wheat that are found in the Middle East, India, or Europe. I have mixed half bulgur and half white rice in my regular rice cooking. If you are on a personal connection, like at home, you can run an anti-virus scan on your device to make sure it is not infected with malware. This tabbouleh is as authentic as you can get! Not only is bulgur tasty and quick to prepare but also very nutritious. Mediterranean in origin, bulgur remains a staple in Middle Eastern cuisine. Bulgur wheat is produced from the seeds of a wheat stalk, which are sometimes called wheat berries. There are two main kinds of bulgur wheat: Instant bulgur wheat, also called fine-grain bulgur is common in health food store bulk bins and is usually used in tabbouleh recipes. It kind of sounds like "vulgar," the chances are good that you've probably never heard of it so I don't blame you if you've never tried it. You can mix bulgur into a burger patty. If you prefer, you can use beef instead of lamb. It gets better after chilling for a day or two. Some research indicates that whole grains may also improve overall insulin sensitivity (6). If you're not a salad person (because, honestly, who's a salad person?) A delicious salad. So we eat bulgur wheat instead of rice. This is a versatile, healthy salad that can easily be eaten as the main meal for lunch.