by Random House. But I simply did not find this book compelling or insightful enough. In 2007, Paul graduated cum-laude f. Paul Kalanithi, M.D., was a neurosurgeon and writer. I can't think of another book that brought me so close to the soul of another person. Not all of us remain the proud humans that we are during our lifetimes, but go begging for another lease of life, no matter however brief that might be. How to Get the Right Diagnosis: 16 Tips for Navigating the Medical System (Emergenc... Just Baking: Homemade No-Knead Artisan Yeast Bread Cookbook for Beginners. I cried so much reading this book. You know it was going to be sad, how could a man dying of lung cancer before the age of forty be anything but." If you're a seller, Fulfilment by Amazon can help you grow your business. I came across this book when I was wandering in a book shop - I thought it looked interesting and I bought it, THANKFULLY! Previous page of related Sponsored Products, A beautifully written account of a neurosurgeon's coming-to-terms with mortality and the meaning of life. With the failure of chemotherapy, other treatment options do not provide him much hope. Refresh and try again. He was not a saint, he cried when given a death sentence, but his thoughts were not always for him, he always wanted to make sure his wife had a life after he was gone. In 'When Breath Becomes Air,' Kalanithi accounts his transition from his childhood and the path that drew him towards an initially unlikely career in medicine through the end of residency, and ultimately the tragic derailment of a once promising outlook. The world is a richer place because of it… And at heart, this is a life-affirming book. A doctor himself, Kalanithi's father dedicates most of his time to medicine and is notably absent from the house. It's a brief memoir of a life ended way too early. Unforgettable is what Verghese says in his foreword. Preparing to apply to medical school, Kalanithi uses the time off to study the history and philosophy of science and medicine at Cambridge. His memoir was published posthumously 10 months later. But I am super compelled to write one. Fast, FREE delivery, video streaming, music, and much more. In the meantime, Kalanithi's family helps him through his transition from doctor to patient, and together with Lucy, he decides to explore reproductive options before he dies. Oh dear. Unable to add item to Wish List. "[10] Nick Romeo of The Boston Globe wrote that it, "possesses the gravity and wisdom of an ancient Greek tragedy. Paul grew up in Kingman, Arizona, before attending Stanford University, from which he graduated in 2000 with a B.A. 1-Click ordering is not available for this item. He had always felt that when he was older he would like to write and had decided to focus on neurosurgery for now, where he could make a bigger difference by saving people's lives. They visit a sperm bank and make the decision to have a child. Kalanithi retires from surgery indefinitely and begins chemotherapy. Wow. Excellent language, well written. Initially, I was a little reticent about reading it, due to the subject matter, but after many personal recommendations and assurances it was not all 'doom and gloom,' I gave it a go.