Iman Kelly, 19, is in a Kiss sweatshirt from Primark. I don’t censor [what they say] and feel bad sometimes; they get abuse online for wearing the shirt.” He says he understands why people feel so strongly. One comic, Scott Aukerman, focused on the latter gender's fondness for the T-shirt in a tweet. It was a way to represent the music that you liked and now it’s just a fashion thing.”. The Supremes melding into The Animals melding into Blue Cheer melding into Tom Jones). Basket bags. If you don't get why the @ScottAukerman tweet is shitty replace "wearing the Joy Divison shirt" with "reading a science book".-- Daniel Ralston, dear members of the internet who are into women: a really good way to connect with a woman who’s into music is to treat her like a human, dear members of the internet who are into women: a really good way to connect with a woman who’s into music is to treat her like a human-- maura johnston, got hit on once w/ "wow i never met a girl who likes the velvet undergound" REALLY? Some people have punk as their lifestyle – no wonder they’re angry.”, Purists will no doubt disapprove of the growing market for luxe takes on the band T-shirt, such as St Luis, the T-shirt brand set up by Patrick Matamoros. So some Twitter users were stymied and pissed off about this joke. The idea of wearing something with the image of, say, Phil Collins or Green Day or Lorde – none of whom have ever featured on my Spotify account – for purely aesthetic reasons is an alien concept. ARE FAKE POST-PUNK GIRLS THE NEW FAKE GEEK GIRLS? The idea: take what’s there and create what’s not there. The internet went IN on him. I am reminded of Warhol’s work when thinking about these T-shirts. Last modified on Mon 1 Apr 2019 13.04 EDT. The documentary film-maker set up Band of Shirts, an Instagram account documenting people wearing band T-shirts in New York, two years ago, with captions telling the stories behind their T-shirts. One of Andy Warhol’s most overplayed quotes is “I am a deeply superficial person” – a quip that implies the ability to see the significance in the surface of things. You see it in Television shows as a marker that someone is "cool," and yet these people have never heard of New Order, a far more popular band. OMG!-- maggie serota, no one talks to me when i'm wearing a scott aukerman shirt, no one talks to me when i'm wearing a scott aukerman shirt-- boxcar, at the same time as that guy can go fuck himself, i really wish more people would talk to me about the jodeci patch on my backpack, at the same time as that guy can go fuck himself, i really wish more people would talk to me about the jodeci patch on my backpack-- lily go hard. Joy Division shirts are worn by the same people who listen to terrible rap music. – “Choose Love”. Self care and ideas to help you live a healthier, happier life. Clockwise from left: Balenciaga, Paris 2012, Ramones and Iron Maiden T-shirts, an image from Band of Shirts, Joy Division and Run-DMC T-shirts, … I got it because it sounded like Muppets, lol. Discover unique things to do, places to eat, and sights to see in the best destinations around the world with Bring Me! It's a really popular T-shirt design, and is worn by plenty of men and women alike. We were sponsored by Brother, which was a gift for me. A T-shirt from Kendall and Kylie Jenner’s clothing line. Its Amazon's highest selling band shirt - no Joy Division fan in the 70s would have ever predicted this! And at stores including Topshop, H&M, Primark and Forever 21, T-shirts for bands including AC/DC, Metallica, the Rolling Stones and Bon Jovi. Bleached denim. If you don't get why the @ScottAukerman tweet is shitty replace "wearing the Joy Divison shirt" with "reading a science book". 1978: Arturo Vega designs the Ramones logo, with the names of the band’s four members around an image of the eagle similar to the one on the American flag. If you don't get why the @ScottAukerman tweet is shitty replace "wearing the Joy Divison shirt" with "reading a science book". When I initially discovered the photo of Jackson wearing Joy Division, I didn’t wonder “why?” I thought “why not?” It was a lie worth believing. This is the cover for Joy Division's classic album. Even some pool-ready inflatables. Moments after the tweet, Aukerman was promptly eviscerated. They have become something of a wardrobe staple for the Topshop girl.” This is backed up by shoppers around the Oxford Circus store on a weekday afternoon. The kind of purchase once seen on merchandise stalls at gigs and market stalls in Camden Lock has gone mass. 2017: Kendall and Kylie Jenner produce T-shirts with images of Biggie Smalls, Tupac Shakur and Ozzy Osbourne with their selfies over the top. It started last year with Dior’s “We Should All Be Feminist” T-shirt, then the Corbyn Nike T-shirt by Bristol Street Wear, which sold out during the election campaign. Needless to say, not all Photoshop is art. His response to the criticism? 2005: Streetwear brand Supreme collaborates with graphic designer Peter Saville on a T-shirt using the design he made in 1979 for Joy Division’s Unknown Pleasures.