Wilton Pillow Pans - Servings & Batter Amounts Are Wrong Decorating By MikeRowesHunny Updated 22 Sep 2016 , 1:46am by mmhassa2 MikeRowesHunny Posted 21 Sep 2010 , 3:54pm. I had my husband make me each block, but of course I haven't painted them yet, but it really gives a reality check on how big a 2x2x4 inch slice of cake really is. I love Earlene's chart. When I am done putting a cake together, my tiers are 4" tall. This is NOT a marketing "ploy" at all. Just make sure your cake recipe is sturdy. LOLL I kinda figure somewhere between Earlene and Wilton and so far I've never had a problem. I have always been fine by wilton's. $44.99 $ 44. Updated 30 Nov 2008 , 9:26pm Updated 20 May 2014 , 9:00pm I've seen them for pie slices, but not for a wedding cake slice. FromScratch. I agree with your sizes - that's plenty big enough. You want to be sure the piece of cake actually fits on the plate.On the opposite end of the discussion, a 2" tall cake is usually cut in 2x2x2" pieces. Dianella. When someone asks for a cake to serve a certain number of people I alway give them an option of what the cake SHOULD serve and what might happen if they cut "Kentucky" servings! 2004 - 2020 © Cake Central Media Corp. All Rights Reserved. I don't do many 6" tall tiers so that is done on a per cake basis. I think someone posted a picture quite some time ago of wooden blocks that were painted like a cake to show the 1X2, 1 1/2x2, and the 2x2 slices of cake - all 4 inches high. So far, I've been unsuccessful in THAT endeavor! The pan that i'm using is the one of 8,75in for diameter. wilton cake batter to pan size chart | ... Wilton Cake Pans Cake Mold Cake Decorating Techniques Cake Decorating Tips Cake Serving Chart Cake Chart Cake Pan Sizes Cake Pricing Cake Business. I measured and sure enough they needed about 6 more servings. I baked a square grooms cake using Wilton's figures for the servings. It also says that cakes 3" to 6" yield the same number of servings because they are cut the same, but then it says any cake smaller than 3" yields half the amount of servings.So, how can the 2" and 3" charts have the same serving size when they just said that cakes less than 3" have half the amount of servings?Also, I charge per serving. Curse you, pregnancy! I think it's a far better tool. I felt the same way after I read Earlene's chart...UNTIL I took a pan, flipped it over, and drew out the serving chart on the back of the pan in felt tip pen myself.I came up with at least Wilton's number of servings, and sometimes more, in wedding size slices, so I decided to quit worrying about it and use the Wilton chart. I can see where 24 might be possible but it's a stretch.I thought the ball was kind of small; I was amazed the batter actually fit into it, but it does! I can see where 24 might be possible but it's a … Decorating I had a nut cake that was rather crumbly...total PITA to cut; wedge-style never would have worked out. I am going to use the wilton ball pan, but need to know how many servings it provides. It's very accurate and easy to use.I had noticed that Wilton's serving suggestions on their cakes don't fit even their own charts. Maybe, I'll get mine painted!!! A 2" tall cake would be 1/2 the servings of a 4" cake. I guess I need to make my own chart for quick reference so I stop screwing myself over on pricing when I've got someone on the phone and I'm trying to guage servings by eyeballing the empty cake pan. I just charge for 1/2 the servings.. so technically it's 1/2 the cost.. but I don't do it by cost.. just the servings. I figure how many batches of batter I need to make and go from there.HTHMichele. It's not a Southern thing, but more how we are used to large servings. Even though wilton says they get the same amount of servings? When you purchase a digital subscription to Cake Central Magazine, you will get an instant and automatic download of the most recent issue. I think Wilton's chart is perfectly fine. 4.6 out of 5 stars 217. brogi2baker I just want to make sure they have enough cake. I like that--it makes it relatable to people...I print out the cake serving chart and cutting instructions from a Wilton book and leave it with the cake in an inconspicuous spot for weddings, just in case they don't have a caterer who knows how or they have Aunt Louise serving "family size" portions--that way they won't run out halfway through the cake. If you cut it thinner, because it's taller, then you're giving them literally a paper thin piece of cake. FREE Shipping by Amazon. Monica_ By I can buy a whole pan of OGarden tiramisu for $36, 12 of their servings, 24-30 of mine. By Check it out. by The last wedding cake I did, the person cutting it apparently cut huge pieces and they didn't use any gloves and were using their hands to plop the cake slices down on the plates. In fact, I'm constantly telling my cousin when she caters a reception that if it isn't a sit down meal it isn't necessary for people to "gorge" themselves. Maybe you could post your picture of the blocks again. When you purchase a digital subscription to Cake Central Magazine, you will get an instant and automatic download of the most recent issue. I too marked out my pans and found that Wilton was right on with their servings. So a 6" square cake, two inches tall, would be cut into 3 rows by 3 columns = 9 servings (half of the 2-layer servings). Where could I find this? Get it as soon as Sat, Oct 17. I guarantee you can get at least 16 healthy-sized servings out of it. Thanks for the help! I decided my wedding cake servings would be 1.5"x2" and my party size servings would be 2"x2". People also love these ideas niccicola I did it the first time because I was afraid that they wouldn't get enough cake if they didn't cut it properly and I also used Collette Peter's chart because it seemed to be the most realistic and the most generous. It all depends on what your customers are used to. I definatley found it easier to cut and serve this cake evenly when a cake board is placed between the two cakes. I've cut 2 birthday cakes at parties recently, using 1.5x2x4in servings and they were plenty big enough with the kind of rich scratch cakes I make and the all-butter buttercream (in fact I was feeling a little nauseous towards the end of my piece, and I LOVE cake!)! I baked a smaller cake and stacked the two cakes to be sure she had enough. It makes a difference, right? I know I have seen it on QVC or HSN not sure which. I don't give a rat's butt about pan depth, I want to figure out how much based on how tall my tiers are. Most rural areas have Olive Garden as a top restauant, I've found. Also, I use Wedding servings for all of my quotes (the smaller serving size). 2004 - 2020 © Cake Central Media Corp. All Rights Reserved. Has anyone made this before that can help? I want to know if the amount of servings are for the whole cake or just for half of the ball? by Even if you leave instructions to do so. A 6" cake would technically yield 50% more than a 4" cake, though they do tend to get cut the same as a 4" cake when served. As far as servings, I usally get nice slices, about 14. I just can't look at a 6" round for example, and say "That'll feed 12 people". Decorating I think wedge-style makes for more uniformly iced pieces. I guarantee you can get at least 16 healthy-sized servings out of it. I get confused with that too. Wilton needs to come out with a cake cutter that goes in accordance w/ their chart! The wilton site says on BOTH 2" pans and 3" pans wedding cake charts that 2 and 3 inch cakes yield the same number of servings. Guests wont' notice it's taller ... they'll only notice it's paper thin.Because the piece of cake is 50% taller (6" instead of 4"), the client is receiving 50% more cake per serving ... so if your standard price per serving is $3 per standard (i.e. http://www.wilton.com/cake/cakeprep/baking/times/wedding_2inch.cfm, http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/servings.htm, http://www.euphoriabakery.com/pricingflavorinfo.htm, http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_88648.html. More Buying Choices $16.35 (17 used & new offers) Wilton Recipe Right Non-Stick 9-Inch Square Baking Pan … I read a couple of years ago where the servings we have in American are literally twice what they are in some European countries. It’s below… Update: I still use the Wilton chart for amount of cake batter (although I...Read More. The servings are based on a cake that is 4" tall (regardless of the pan depth it was baked in). If I were to make a 2" cake I would charge the same per serving as I do for a 4" cake. Remember fellow cake bakers;you can bake any size ball with rounded metal or glass mixing bowls.Happy Baking and Decorating,Chef Angie. I've never had anyone have too little cake using it, so for now I'm sticking with Wilton. I know the ball pan seems so small! What a pain serving those ball cakes though. I use the chart on earlenescakes.com. Once again Debi.. you said what I was thinking way better than I did.. 2004 - 2020 © Cake Central Media Corp. All Rights Reserved. Updated 23 Jul 2014 , 6:33pm I've cut 2 birthday cakes at parties recently, using 1.5x2x4in servings and they were plenty big enough with the kind of rich scratch cakes I make and the all-butter buttercream (in fact I was feeling a little nauseous towards the end of my piece, and I LOVE cake! I have in the past and will always send a chart and instructions. then I had my math wizard husband plug the numbers for each size pan I used. 1x2x4) serving, thene by all logic, a piece of cake that is 1x2x6 (12 cubic inches) would be $4.50/serving.... because they are receiving 50% more cake, even though it's STILL a 6" square ... it's 50% taller.Also bear in mind that cake plates tend to be about 6" in diameter. I also go by how many servings one of my cake recipes serves. Zmama brought this chart to my attention:http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/servings.htm. Do any of you send cutting charts or "proper procedures for serving cakes" or something with your cakes? Wilton Performance Pans Square Cake Pans Set, 3 Piece - 8, 12 and 16-Inch Cake Pans. Or if I charge someone per serving, bring them a 9" round 2 layer cake, and tell them that's supposed to serve over 30 people. 99. You are cutting the cake based on the surface size. has a handle and the top of it is a square cutter in the shape of a wedding cake slice so all one has to do is press this down in the cake over and over and voila -- perfect (wedding) cake slices every time?? I too marked out my pans and found that Wilton was right on with their servings. But now after reading your sig, I am having the most COMPELLING cravings for a donut. Then removed to cut the second layer. We can't compete at the higer prices for smaller servings that a lot of you get. The wilton site says on BOTH 2" pans and 3" pans wedding cake charts that 2 and 3 inch cakes yield the same number of servings. AHi! When I was icing that cake I realized that they were going to be short of servings. Wow, SO much better!!!! ?I thought I was spot on when I devised my pricing list, now I think I might be ripping myself off!