St. Dwynwen, the Welsh patron saint of lovers. You can find it in the village at postcode LL61 6SH. ©2020 GPS Cycle and Walking Routes | Contact Us | Disclaimer | Which GPS. Many famous films have been shot here including Clash of the Titans and Half Light". Start from the car park – you can either walk out along the beach or through Newborough Forest, one of the largest publicly accessible forests in Wales. Looking carefully through the window you might notice a Celtic cross (one of two crosses you’ll find on the island): At the end of the island are two impressive lighthouses overlooking the beginning of the Menai Strait. ( Log Out /  The perfect place to dinosaur fossil hunting as... A rugged cliff top walk with a castle and miles... Share this walk idea with your friends and family! A path down the center of the island is wide and well protected from the wind, while two narrower paths on the sides follow the ridges and offer lovely views of the water and rocks below. Change ). Gruff Owen, Wales Coast Path Officer’s highlights. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Life and Adventures as an Expat in Europe. Llyn Rhos Ddu car park to Llanddwyn Island (via Newborough Forest) Distance. Visit Natural Resources Wales website for more detailed maps and information on alternative return routes for this stunning place. Introduction: This easy walk is through the Newborough Forest and out to the tidal LLanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn). When my parents visit, we tend to do a lot of walks in the Conwy valley. The small tidal island is a stunningly beautiful location with rolling dunes, rocky outcrops, sandy beaches, lovely bays and the atmospheric ruins of St Dwynwen's Church.You can park at the Newborough Warren car park just to the north east of the island. From the photos I’ve seen, it also seems like the views of Snowdonia might be truly impressive on a clear day. The forest was planted between 1947 and 1965 with Corsican pine trees but there are quite a lot of other trees too and planting is being diversified on account of climate change. Walk to Ynys Llanddwyn on St Dwynwen's Day. I headed to Mud and Routes (the source of last year’s Criccieth walk) to see what options I could find, and I quickly became interested in their walk to Ynys Llanddwyn. I had heard of this tidal island before — it’s linked to St. Dwynwen, the Welsh patron saint of lovers, whose feast day is now somewhat similar to Valentine’s Day. View all posts by Rachel. It's also dog friendly if you have your pet with you. Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Ynys Llanddwyn Geology & Local Interest Walk This is one of Anglesey’s best loved walks, in a stunning setting with the mountains of Snowdonia and the Lleyn as a backdrop. Close to the church is a holy well, populated by eels said to be able to predict your romantic future. 2. The men who lived here would row out to help ships negotiate the treacherous sandbars between Caernarfon and Abermenai point, as well as manning the local lifeboat. However, we often talk about possible walks on Anglesey and really wanted to fit one in during their trip this spring. Or start with my more recent move to Wales: Ynys Llanddwyn is on the west side of Anglesey and the wind comes through quite forcefully, whipping up the sand and generally making it hard to enjoy a stroll along the beach. Then follow the woodland trails through Newborough Forest to reach the island. ( Log Out /  The larger of the two is Tŵr Mawr, which sits on top of a hill: On a slightly less blustery day, I could imagine coming here for a full day of playing on the beach, meandering on the island, and then wandering through the forest trails. The Wales Coast Path website uses cookies. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Following the path east will take you along the Menai Strait to Menai Bridge.You can virtually explore the island using the google street view link below! You can follow the trail north and visit the lovely Malltreath Sands and the Afon Cefni. This easy walk takes you to one of Wales’ most romantic historic sites, with plenty of wonderful wildlife on the way. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. The walks (besides being gorgeous and interesting) are relatively nearby and usually easy to access with public transport. Within two minutes you are on Newborough Beach. One thing we definitely did not expect was the incredible wind that met us there. This walk explores Llanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn) on the Isle of Anglesey. Ynys Llanddwyn is on the west side of Anglesey and the wind comes through quite forcefully, whipping up the sand and generally making it hard to enjoy a stroll along the beach. Head into Newborough and there's a good selection of pubs and cafes. The noteworthy structure is similar in style to the Anglesey windmills and stands at a height of 33 feet (10 m). It’s home to the remains of St Dwynwen’s Church, named for the Celtic princess known as the Welsh patron saint of lovers. Who is the Expat Translator? Located at the far end of a pleasant beach near Newborough Warren, this narrow finger of land is an ideal picnic site during fine weather, but also an exhilarating place when the winter winds blow. By continuing to browse the site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. If they’re jumping when you visit, you’re sure to be lucky in love. Llanddwyn Island – A walk from Newborough Beach A beautiful stretch of coastline The stunning and rugged coastline of Wales is well documented in the photography world and no more so than Llanddwyn Island on the coastline of Anglesey – one of the most beautiful spots in Wales that I have had the pleasure of visiting. ( Log Out /  Walk the Wales Coast Path Malltraeth to Newborough Via Ynys Llanddwyn Details The section along the Wales Coast Path from Malltraeth to Newborough is certainly different. Instead, we followed the inland path recommended by another Ynys Llanddwyn walk and the trees protected us most of the way from the parking lot to the island. View gallery. The Wales Coast Path website uses cookies. Two 19th-century lighthouses, Twr Mawr and Twr Bach, still stand at the island’s tip, alongside two restored pilot’s cottages. 4 miles or 6 km. If you are curious, you can start reading from the beginning: "A truly special place, this walk is sure to leave a spell on you! ( Log Out /  From here there are fabulous views to Snowdonia and the Lleyn Peninsula.The island is attached to Newborough Forest where you can extend your walk if you have time. The White Lion is a friendly place that does very good food. Adventures as an Expat in ... Wales! You’ll emerge from the forest close to Llanddwyn Island, a narrow finger of land pointing out into the sea (despite the name, this ‘island’ remains accessible at all but the highest of tides). The large coastal forest forms part of the Newborough Warrent Nature Reserve where you can look out for wildlife including oystercatchers, lapwings, curlew, skylarks and meadow pipits.The long distance Anglesey Coast Path also passes the island. Complete the walk around the island, return to the beach, and walk south back to the car park. Download the Ynys Llanddwyn and Newborough Forest itinerary (PDF) and a route map (JPEG). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Footpaths then head south toward the Twr Mawr lighthouse which marks the western entrance to the Menai Strait. It’s definitely the sort of place that you struggle to reach without a car, so we decided to head there on a weekend when my husband (the only UK driver among us) could come as well. You can also see reminders of Anglesey’s maritime history on Llanddwyn. Until then, I’ll remember sitting and watching the waves roll in …, I'm a happy linguist. Retrace your steps back to your start point. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. While the shade of the forestry will be welcome on warmer days, it’s without doubt that Ynys Llanddwyn is the star of this section, if not the entire path. You can park at the Newborough Warren car park just to the north east of the island. This walk explores Llanddwyn Island (Ynys Llanddwyn) on the Isle of Anglesey. At approximately the half way point, there is the main larger car park with a toilet block, water refill point and a picnic area (with designated BBQ areas). :) I am a linguaphile, a former translator, a tango dancer, and an expat living in the UK.