And this was all done in the midst of a treacherous fire. With the hotel’s interior made almost entirely of wood (including the duct system), and rooms lavishly decorated with flammable carpets and drapes, the fire raged unchecked from within. And many of them died because they were simply out of reach. In the end, it’s believed Phelim O’Toole was responsible for saving the lives of at least twelve people. With no sign of anyone in the windows above, the truck was then moved to the 4th Street side. Dropping to the floor to catch his breath, Russell found himself crawling over more than a dozen people screaming for help. The core of Campbell House was once part of the original Boyd mansion that was located 100 feet in front of the present-day Weymouth Center. The Southern Hotel fire was a devastating event in the city’s history. Dangling fifty feet above the ground, and with a remarkable faith in an English professor’s knot-tying skills, O’Toole climbed hand-over-hand up the side of the hotel and into the burning hotel room. In fact, the number of people who died in the Southern Hotel fire has never been precisely determined. However, bodies were still being pulled from the rubble, and the article admits that some survivors may have simply left town. Tragically, it was discovered hours later that his wife had in fact survived. Campbell House is an 1822 heritage house and museum in downtown Toronto, Ontario, Canada. In the meantime, pre-orders are now available at the “Store” link at the top of the page. I love the history of St. Louis. [6] The spectacle of the physical move to save Campbell House was a preservation achievement which sparked greater interest among Torontonians to save other local landmarks when they became threatened.[7]. Smoke alarms should be installed inside every bedroom, outside each sleeping area and on every level. 3  in the St. Louis Fire Department. Prior to demolition the company offered the house to anyone who could remove it from the property. Book Campbell House, Twentynine Palms on Tripadvisor: See 581 traveler reviews, 409 candid photos, and great deals for Campbell House, ranked #1 of 11 hotels in Twentynine Palms and rated 5 of 5 at Tripadvisor. I can’t remember what I was looking for, but I forgot it as soon as my eyes landed on a 1949 article with the word “snorkel” in the title (the firefighting “snorkel”, not the thing that lets you breath under water). The Eugene Field House was the sec­ond-to-last house in Wal­sh’s Row of twelve attached homes. Already undermanned due to the late hour, hotel employees failed to adequately warn hotel guests, the key to the city fire alarm telegraph box couldn’t be found, and heat-sensing mechanical alarms didn’t activate (the sensors were turned up too high by employees frustrated with false alarms). The Eugene Field House was saved from the wreck­ing ball when the oth­er eleven homes were demol­ished in 1934. With his wife and mother-in-law watching from above, Einstmann made it about halfway down before the rope slipped. After two additional alarms (1:45 a.m and 2:00 a.m), every fire department in the city was involved except one. As Reese’s wife was lowered next and came within her husband’s reach, O’Toole instructed the professor to shove her out to the ladder. I am happy to announce that I have a book coming out on April 15, 2017. Although men such as Charles Shephard, one of the hotel proprietors, and George Ford, the night clerk, sprung into action as soon as the fire was discovered, it wasn’t enough. After arriving and “making better time to the fire than we usually do” as O’Toole reported in his own journals, O’Toole’s Skinner escape made its first stop in front of the hotel’s main entrance on Walnut Street. Within minutes, fire carts arrived on the scene. I recommend going back and reading that one first. He died moments after hitting the ground. Dykstra points out a variety of fire hazards, including a large pile of hair (for use in mattresses), the hotel’s gas supply meter, and a baggage elevator described as “wooden and oil-soaked”. Medical Emergency - Buena Park - … Note the place­ment of the build­ing right next to the side­walk with no room for a front yard. I ordered a pint of Guinness, and while getting a good pour from one of the nicest bartenders around, I raised my glass to Phelim O’Toole and toasted to one of the bravest men in the history of St. Louis. Are you familiar with AtlasObscura.com ? The house is one of the few remaining examples of Georgian architecture left in Toronto and is constructed in a style in vogue during the late Georgian era known as Palladian architecture.[2]. Even better, here’s a short video I put together featuring some great images and a waltz composed in honor of the hotel. A member of the St. Louis Fire Department since 1872, O’Toole already had a reputation as one of the bravest men in the department. Really loved seeing a new installment of Distilled History. This reality of the situation forced many to take drastic action. Campbell House is available for private functions, every day of the year. Full Story . On Monday night fires set throughout the city of St. Louis, including a section of downtown. As a result, when Phelim O’Toole eventually reached the top of the ladder, he found himself five feet short and five feet back from the fifth floor window (with four people inside) that he was trying to reach. With no option but to follow, Einstmann’s wife and mother-in-law descended the rope after him. Please tell me you are a descendant of Phelim O’Toole. Along with the complete destruction of the city’s most elegant and magnificent hotel, more than twenty people lost their lives. Campbell House is available for private functions, every day of the year. The museum also includes an art gallery. I have a special project in mind for the Pat Connolly Tavern, so for this post I decided to cozy up to the bar at the other Irish bar in Dogtown, Seamus McDaniel’s. I should also mention that this post was meant to be published in conjunction with the post I wrote about the Southern Hotel last summer. And while doing that last summer, I found something interesting. For most of the 19th century the structure remained a private residence. On Monday night fires set throughout the city of St. Louis, including a section of downtown. I still love listening the whir of microfiche machines at the Central Library, but it’s so convenient to get your history fix from a home computer. It will provide a good backdrop for what Phelim O’Toole was dealing with that night. The home is owned by the City of Toronto government. He even had a song written about him. The older house had belonged to James Boyd, Sr., a steel and railroad magnate from Pennsylvania, who brought his family to Southern Pines in 1904 to establish an estate. Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), http://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/three-flags-day-history, The Kerry Patch - St. Louis - The Irish Mob, St. Louis’ Southern Hotel Fire of 1877 by Arlen Ross Dykstra –, Countless articles published in the days and years after the fire in the. [3] It was home to various prominent citizens (Hon. Finding smoke seeping through the transom above his door, Russell fled his room and immediately tripped over a woman laying prone in the hallway, screaming for help and crawling frantically for a path to safety. Awarded with a gold medallion, a substantial monetary reward (which he promptly donated to charity), and musical performances held in his honor, Phelim O’Toole became the toast of the city. But, firefighters were able to put out the fire at the Campbell House Museum. The fire sealed him in this time, and Gouley was forced to jump from his fourth floor window. Your comment made my day. The interior and exterior spaces provide a gracious setting for events of all kinds – from corporate meetings to wedding parties. Another firefighter named Mike Hester deserves as much recognition as O’Toole (and he did get it at the time), but I’m going to focus on O’Toole for now. As firefighters rushed into the hotel’s main entrance, they found the floors and ceilings on the verge of collapse. Rioters set fire to historic Campbell House, Budweiser’s St. Louis Metro Boxing Showdown postponed indefinitely, Hospitals see shortage of beds, elective procedures may be canceled, New COVID restrictions in St. Louis County could be issued Thursday afternoon, Stores react to pandemic with altered Thanksgiving plans, What’s your restaurant’s response to COVID? Wondered if you’ve ever pondered “Three Flags Day” as an installment. During the 1950s and 1960s, 19th-century homes were demolished at a rapid rate; architect Eric Arthur even predicted that by the year 2000, there may be no 19th-century buildings left in the city. So, not long after I knocked on the front door of the department’s headquarters and asked if anyone could help, a captain from Engine House No 1. named Michael Corson reached out to me. O’Toole reached up and fastened his arms around Kennedy’s legs like a vise. Almost immediately, O’Toole had his rope around Reese and ordered him out the window. Thanks again for another fine story History of Campbell House. Reese and his family must have been amazed by the feat, but there was no time for admiration. As I started to dig into what happened on that horrible night 140 years ago, it became clear to me that the response of the St. Louis Fire Department was probably the only thing that went right.