It is best to follow an oily skin prescription regimen in the humid months and a dry skin prescription regimen in the drier months. Dry environments increase the risk of waking up INFLA-MAN™ leading to inflammation. This is why she's passionate about helping her patients feel comfortable and confident in their skin. ", "This is a key step to all preventative skin care regimens and helps increase cell turnover resulting in decreased appearance of wrinkles and dark spots. "This is a unique formulation of retinoids combined with lactic acid that provide moisturization to the skin to counteract dryness typically associated with retinoids. Rather than calling this a combination skin type, it is more correct to say that the skin is an “O type” in the summer and a “D type” in the winter. Treating this skin type is simple. Skin hydration and oil production are separate entities and should not be confused. ", A post shared by Lindsey Zubritsky, MD, FAAD (@dermguru). Therefore, they do not need the lipid laden barrier repair moisturizers that dry skin requires. ", "In the wintertime, I opt for a moisturizer that is heavier and creamier. © MetaBeauty, Inc - Baumann Cosmetic & Research Institute 2006-2017, Combination Skin: What It Is, and How to Treat It, The Baumann Skin Typing System (BSTS) uses a. to determine if skin is dry or oily. You have to arrange the following ingredients to prepare your mask: two table spoon of rosewater, six rose petals, one table spoon of each yogurt and honey. Why trust us? It also contains antioxidants which are important for summer use when we tend to be outside and exposed to UV rays more often." - Dr. Zubritsky, "For summer months, I prefer tinted sunscreens. In the Baumann Skin Typing System, dry skin is defined as skin that has less water content than normal skin and makes a decreased amount of sebum as compared to normal skin. "I'm constantly struggling to find a regimen that isn’t overly drying but also controls my oil production," she says. eads to an increased risk of inflammation and irritation, . Therefore, they do not need the lipid laden. Combination skin might seem like a skincare challenge at first, but the truth is, it’s really all about identifying the triggers that change your skin type between oily and dry. Physical fitness routines increase the production of endorphins, helping relax the body and contributing to better sleep. These four steps — cleanse, tone, moisturize and apply sunscreen — are the best way to care for combination skin on a daily basis, but to up the ante, follow the helpful tips below, too. is an example of a brand that would be appropriate. and switching to a creamy non-foaming cleanser and a barrier repair moisturizer during the winter months can allow you to tolerate your antiaging regimen in the winter. Even in the winter, even when it’s raining or cloudy, even when I won’t be outside for very long: I ALWAYS put on a broad-spectrum sunscreen. - Dr. Rubitsky, "In the summer months when my skin is oilier, I opt for lighter gel-based moisturizers. Zerafite is an example of a brand that would be appropriate. If you don’t yet know your Baumann Skin Type. What this means is that the skin carrier is impaired. It contains 15% L-ascorbic acid which is formulated with an ideal pH for our skin. ", "For winter months, I opt for a hydrating sunscreen containing ceramides like this one. The T-zone, which includes your forehead, nose, and chin has more sebaceous glands and makes more sebum than the rest of the face. You may be able to find the same content in another format, or you may be able to find more information, at their web site. under the dry sensitive skin (DS) types to find a cleanser and moisturizer that will work for you. "I have always been fascinated by the ability to diagnose medical problems simply by looking at the skin. Once you learn the pattern of your skin and what types it changes to, you will not need to retake the questionnaire to adjust your regimen. There is no such thing as combination skin. 1. This is the cardinal rule to any preventative skincare regimen. In the BSTS, you cannot be both an O (Oily type) and a D (dry type) at the same time. Twenty minutes after washing your … . - Dr. Zubritsky, "Antioxidants are an absolute must for every preventative skin care regimen. The good news is that we've put together the most comprehensive guide to treating combination skin yet. Many anti-aging products contain retinoids which are a bit unique from other products because they are able to penetrate into the skin extremely well. - Dr. Zubritsky, "In the winter time, I make sure I use a very gentle and hydrating cleanser that contains ceramides. Hint: She doesn’t use the same products all year long. Combination skin home Remedies include this rose mask which can be easily prepared at home. During the summer months, I opt for a foaming face wash or salicylic acid based face wash.", "The gel formulation helps to remove excess oil from my skin without stripping away my skin’s natural protective barrier." Changing your cleanser and moisturizer to those recommended for dry types will allow you to tolerate your acne medications in the winter. It is best to get recommendations from your dermatologist but if that is not possible, look at Skin Type Solutions under the dry sensitive skin (DS) types to find a cleanser and moisturizer that will work for you. Over use of moisturizer in the midface will lead to shininess, blackheads, and possibly, If you have combination skin and acne, you will find that it is more difficult to tolerate your acne medications during the cold months. Instead, think of yourself as changing your skin type between an O and a D based upon ambient humidity. Acne medications include benzoyl peroxide, retinoids and salicylic acid- all of which tend to dry the skin. Increased sebum production in the mid- face T- zone area or 2. Both of these focus on hyaluronic acid to help attract moisture to the skin. Lindsey Zubritsky, MD, a dermatologist based in Pittsburgh, PA, dreamt of becoming a doctor ever since she was a child. We combine effective medical procedures with individualized instruction on proper skincare, nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle in order to maximize the health of the skin and body as a whole while minimizing the effects of aging. This sunscreen preparation will contain all the moisturizing ingredients needed for the mid-face. You will be able to follow the recommendations at SkinTypeSolutions.com and adjust accordingly. If the skin barrier is compromised, much more retinoids can enter the skin and provoke inflammation. The adequate or increased levels of sebum production make the skin feel more hydrated and may feel oily over the T zone. These must be non-comedogenic because this skin type tends to get blackheads and whiteheads easily. Once you learn the pattern of your skin and what types it changes to, you will not need to retake the questionnaire to adjust your regimen. They prefer lighter lotion and milk type moisturizers applied only to the sides of the face. Lifestyle Habits to Help You Treat Combination Skin Exercise: Regular exercise can reduce stress and improve both mental and physical health. - Dr. Zubritsky, "I never, ever leave the house without my sunscreen. Your dermatologist will be able to guide you. In the daytime, a sunscreen is applied to the entire face. They only need a light humectant moisturizer with a very small amount of occlusive ingredients. Dry environments increase the risk of waking up, There is no such thing as combination skin. The skincare regimen should help balance your skin. Instead, I look for products with glycolic acid, lactic acid, mandelic acid, or salicylic acid. These two skin patterns must be discussed separately. How A Derm With Pigmentation Treats Her Own Skin, How A Dermatologist Keeps Her Oily Skin In Check, How a Dermatologist With Acne Treats Her Own Skin. This goes for all skin types, not just combination skin: One of the best ways you can care for your skin is by applying a generous amount of a broad-spectrum sunscreen (with … These gently loosen the bond that holds together the top layer of dead skins cells and lead to improved skin tone, less wrinkles and fine lines, and can even hydrate the skin. Following the skincare recommendations for a DS (dry, sensitive) skin type found at SkinTypeSolutions.com and switching to a creamy non-foaming cleanser and a barrier repair moisturizer during the winter months can allow you to tolerate your antiaging regimen in the winter. They prefer lighter lotion and milk type moisturizers applied only to the sides of the face.