I said, ‘I will confess my transgressions to the LORD,’ and You forgave the iniquity of my sin” (Psalm 32:3, 5). I mentioned Colossians 3:15 in an earlier chapter—that God’s peace can rule in our hearts. Essentially, God is saying to the Israelites that they did any number of wicked things, and He was speaking and speaking to them repeatedly about it, but they did not listen to Him. How we individually deal with various issues tells God a lot about us and how much we are learning to think like He does. Christians, Let’s Pray for President-Elect Joe Biden, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. Do this. In Matthew 1:19–21, while Joseph thought about things, God … He wanted to be sure that it was not the result of his own doing and that his heart was right before God. Often when people ask this question, they are talking about an audible voice. 4:12). GOD BLESS. When we’re tempted, that same Spirit warns and nudges us to do the right thing. Spiritual warfare is waged against invisible beings that personify the extremities of evil; and their … First, while Satan cannot read our minds, he can influence our thoughts. David was aware of how absolutely vital the thoughts and intents of his heart were to God. Does God speak to us in our minds? 9. Unfortunately, what God witnessed in the heart of Hezekiah in this case did not please Him, as evidenced by the rebuke of the prophet Isaiah (Isaiah 39:1-7). But I have heard God “speak” through the above ways–and in a few more. If we confess our sins [like David did], He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (1 John 1:8-9). He wrote: “You understand my thought afar off. They couldn’t afford it on their income. How disobedient could Paul be, so often chained to Roman guards? This gives Him an opportunity over time to see our minds at work. We were dating in high school and were both involved in what could have been a deadly accident, when a speeding pick-up hit our car broadside. Print subscriptions available in U.S., Canada and Europe, Article URL: https://lifehopeandtruth.com/change/repentance/when-god-searches-our-hearts-and-minds/, The Prodigal Son: Parable With Overlooked Meaning, Turning Points: Crises and Choices That Can Change Your Life. This happened to us before my husband and I married. He told Noah to build an ark. He conversed with Adam in the first garden. Who was once the church’s greatest enemy became the churches greatest blessing. When we pray, we open our hearts and mind for an answer from God, yet ironically we can be baffled when we hear the answer. Expositor’s Bible Commentary explains that David is “asking for God to discern his motives and actions. The Lord told him. God “told” me about that in His Word, especially in proverbs. Marriage difficulties? God can speak through the Bible. Used by permission. The Bible doesn’t tell me whether or not I should take a new job or what particular car I’m supposed to buy. However, here are eight ways God often uses to communicate with us. haha. All Rights Reserved. If someone claims, “God told me to go kill my neighbor!” would you believe him? That’s not good. Description Ralph Martin, drawing upon the teaching of seven acknowledged “Spiritual Doctors” of the Church, presents an in-depth study of the journey to God. The Lord motivated him to do certain things.” It was almost like the Lord had a conversation with Moses and when it was time to move the people in the desert, the Lord said, “Moses it’s time to move.” Just that clearly! If so, he wanted God to show him what those sins were: “Who can understand his errors? We don’t always know how to interpret the things that happen to us. So every time we get a thought, we need to judge if it is from God. All rights reserved. But He will usually confirm it in other ways. While God can speak to us when we set aside time for prayer and meditation, He also speaks to us sometimes when it’s inconvenient, like the times when you can barely hear yourself think. Previously he pastored congregations in southern Africa, including South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe and Malawi. The Lord directed him. I want God to say, “Ridge, move here. “The wisdom that comes from heaven is first of all pure; then peace-loving, considerate, submissive, full of mercy and good fruit, impartial, and sincere” (James 3:17, NIV). The word rule doesn’t simply mean to merely exist. Again, we may not hear God’s literal voice, but His Spirit confirms a certain direction or answer for us. Acknowledging and admitting our sins, followed by genuinely repenting, are foundational tenets of true Christianity. In Matthew 1:19–21, while Joseph thought about things, God spoke to him. Notice what the apostle John wrote: “If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. )…When I have a problem I start an argument with God, knowing full well that I will lose the argument…I need to have that argument because as a human I will try to bend His rules to suit my argument but He knows that I fully understand His rules and eventually I end up in compliance with … Then good, now is the time to move with confidence. God is in the process of conforming our minds to think His thoughts (Romans 12:2). God designed–and spoke them all into existence. He is not differentiating between emotion and intellect; rather, He is saying that our love for God should be all-inclusive. When we are active and allowing God’s Spirit to move, He can give us pictures and speak to our minds and hearts. King David understood how important our thoughts, motivations and the intents of our minds are to God. It means to reign or to be a deciding factor. Second, I hear God speaking to me through His Word, the Bible. Article Images Copyright ©. 10. None of us are cookie-cutter Christians. And God can do that. Robert Morris is the founding senior pastor of Gateway Church, a multicampus church in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. 5. Through the intricate details and magnificent beauty of all that God has made, we can “hear” His voice. Bible Study Resources - Tips, Online Bible Search, Devotions, 10 Things Everyone Should Know about Jehovah's Witnesses and Their Beliefs, 4 Battle Cry Scriptures to Memorize in Seasons of Depression, 15 Christian Movies You Can Watch on Netflix in 2020, God's Ordered Authority - In Touch - November 7/8, 10 Things the Bible Says about the Mark of the Beast, 10 Verses about Fear and Anxiety to Remind Us God Is in Control, The Christian Bucket List: 50 Things to Do before Heaven, 10 Day Thankfulness Challenge to Prepare Your Heart for Thanksgiving. Jesus Christ consistently placed a great deal of emphasis on the subject of repentance (Matthew 4:17; Mark 1:15; Luke 13:3, 5; learn more in our article “How to Repent”). One of the first things I usually ask God when circumstances change is: “God, is there something you want to teach me through this?” Yes, I know everything is “fodder” for writers. So even without a written law, it is just as Paul says: “They show that the work of the law is written on their hearts, while their conscience also bears witness, and their conflicting thoughts accuse or even excuse them” (Romans 2:15).