Blessed be Your glorious name savings through the financial and banking collapses. LORD.". We too imagine that we have power to stand and be true to what we believe, like boastful, blustering Peter, who said to the Lord Jesus, "I will never deny you. (and casts doubt) upon his motivation for living such a godly life. (Clarke), © 2007 David Guzik - No distribution beyond personal use without permission. you! She said to me, "I see what you mean." What about you? I sat down with her and went through some of the Scriptures, pointing out to her that we are given the privilege of suffering for Christ. Tennyson, who as poet laureate of England could be expected to Phrases such as: “Heaven has a new angel now” or “maybe you’re atoning for some past sin,” ect not only downplay the agony of the sufferer, but they often misconstrue the truth found in Scripture. as 1 Peter 1:5 tells us Recognizing the value of consistent reflection upon the Word of God in order to refocus one's mind and heart upon Christ and His Gospel of peace, we provide several reading plans designed to cover the entire Bible in a year. i. a. The Gospels The Whole Bible Readers may wonder why God allows Satan to afflict Job. Now, the sufferings of Christ involve more than just reproach for his name's sake. Zechariah chapter 3. A verification email has been sent to the address you provided. i. THE DEBATE BETWEEN JOB AND HIS THREE FRIENDS (Chaps. RayStedman.org/permissions. This reinforces the idea that Job and his family were greatly blessed, and does not seem to indicate that they were unduly given over to festivity and pleasure-seeking. We often - to his great delight - inflate Satan's status and importance, thinking of him as the opposite of God, as if God were light and Satan were darkness; as if God were hot and Satan were cold. That is why we must never forget that life is not a Sunday School picnic. Satan was acting; but so was God in heaven. When God allowed it, Satan was more than happy to attack Job up to the limit of the allowance. Thou hast thrown a stone which has fallen on thine own head. iv. The moment the blessing ceases, or difficulty or trial comes, they want to quit serving him. We can think of our present life very much as a boy might who goes away to college. 10 “Have you not put a hedge around him and his household and everything he has? Heard of Uz? Individual instructors or editors may still require the use of URLs. b. road and four were killed. When your girls are going among strangers, and your boys into the great ways of the world, and you are unable to impose your will upon them, as in the days of childhood, you can yet pray for them, casting over them the shield of intercession, with strong cryings and tears. upright, a man who fears God and shuns evil." He was always sensitively responsive to the Father's will, and always did that which was pleasing in his sight. face. in the spiritual realm, governing the relationship between God and He recognized that man is more than the things he gathers about him." arguably the oldest book in the Bible, it explores the most ancient and in the resource materials are not necessarily affirmed, in total, by this ministry. Since there is evidently this took place before they came into existence. how many saints have been comforted in their distress by this history of patience! The first surprise that hit us in Job was in Chapter 1 where we were suddenly taken behind the scenes of this world and shown what goes on when a believer is being tried or tempted. the property of Job. ii. Argh kids aye? So in all of this we can see that Job was a righteous man, as dedicated He was better in character, humbler, and more blessed than before. like a red flag to a bull, gives Job a glowing report card before Satan 4 His sons used to hold feasts in their homes on their birthdays, and they would invite their three sisters to eat and drink with them. If you will see it in that light, what a difference it will make." servant Job? ii. do. Minor Prophets So I would like to go back through the book of Job and pick up the great truths that it sets before us. In the land that is plentiful You read it right? Commentary, on the book of Job. Your suffering, your unexplained torment, the physical affliction that you've been going through, have been the means by which I have been able to lay hold of these two ferocious powers to control them, regulate them, and keep them in bounds in the world. To me, this indicates Job was totally unaware what was (Job 1:8) 2.) If he does not please us every day, and give way to our whims, and gratify our tastes, then we will not praise him." college including two that were the leaders on the trip. Psalm 5:12 For surely, O LORD, you bless the righteous; you Therefore, any foothold we give to Satan is dangerous. Chapter 1. And he will use Satan for But no one goes to school for that purpose -- or at least they should not. occurs in heaven his wife. Usernames should only contain letters, numbers, dots, dashes, or underscores. (16) While he was still (Andersen). It is very hard for us to do so. Does suffering have a purpose? what he wants. There is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil, Behold, all that he has is in your power; only do not lay a hand on his person. Often Christians can think Satan and God are evenly matched. Although he wreaks havoc on Job’s life, God doesn’t allow him to take away Job’s life (Job 2:6). Jacob). ii. You can imagine the look on Satan's face.