It was soooo good. This is the recipe that my family has used since a friend gave it to us in the 1950’s. To dress the cake up a bit, sift a shower of confectioners' sugar over the top just before serving. Baking Parchment Paper - Set of 100 Half-Sheets, 16 tablespoons (227g) salted butter, at room temperature, at least 65°F*, 1 tablespoon (28g) brandy, sherry, rum, or the liqueur of your choice, optional. Cool in pan on a wire rack 1 hour; remove from pan to wire rack, and cool completely (about 1 hour). Looking for pound cake recipes? 3. This pound cake is classic and very close to an original pound cake recipe. Glad we all enjoy a real pound cake. I decided to weigh mine because there’s so much variation in different brands of flour. Gradually pour in the flour, 1/4 cup at a time, and beat the batter for 30 seconds. This cake is appropriately dense, sturdy and velvety moist (with additional liquid.) Scrape the bottom and sides of the bowl, and beat until the mixture is very light and fluffy. Beat1 more minute. Combine evaporated milk and cream; add to butter mixture alternately with flour mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. You want to leave butter out to soften to room temperature. I've made this cake twice in the last week. No. I've also been known to trade the sweet milk, for buttermilk. A hit at every party! Be sure that it is completely cool before placing it into a storage container or plastic bag to prevent condensation from forming. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Lightly grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Do you weigh the eggs when in the shell or cracked open in a bowl? made this real pound cake again today. It's a 4-1/2 star recipe as is, but a 5 with additional milk and flavoring, which yields distinct sensory improvement. This recipe is a keeper! Make a glaze to put on after baking by whisking together 1/3 cup lemon juice with 1/3 cup sugar until dissolved. I have made this about 30 times since finding this recipe...I SOOOO should have posted this rating sooner. Deselect All. Your email address will not be published. Southern Living is a registered trademark of, These Haircuts Are Going To Be Huge in 2021, 140 Thanksgiving Side Dishes That’ll Steal the Show, 7 Paint Colors We’re Loving for Kitchen Cabinets in 2020, 50 Books Everyone Should Read in Their Lifetime. Bake 1hr 15mins to 1hr 30mins; Til toothpick in center comes out clean. Info. Fantastic cake. Pour over warm, baked cake. Wow it’s really generous of you to share her recipe, I’m off to try it with this pound cake lol. Re-invert the cake and set it right side up on the rack to cool completely. Allow to cool in pans for 10 minutes, then remove from the pans. 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for the pan. Vanilla Pound Cake: Add 2 teaspoons vanilla extract to the batter with the eggs. This was delicious and exactly what I was looking for: rich, classic pound cake. This is my Grandmother's Recipe too! All rights reserved. beat that mix like it owes you money. Real pound cake got it's name because you are supposed to use a pound of each ingredient. Despite these early American origins, it’s thought that pound cake migrated from Northern Europe. Bring to a simmer. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. One 8 ounce package will equal 1/2 pound. In a large mixing bowl, use a hand mixer to cream butter until light and fluffy. If not serving the same day, wrap in plastic wrap and store at room temperature, for 4 to 5 days or freeze for 1 month. Thanks. Strip off the parchment paper and cool completely on wire racks. Once with a tsp of almond extract and once with a tsp of vanilla. Take care not to over mix the batter, but make sure that you scrape the bottom of the bowl to evenly incorporate all of the ingredients. 2 large eggs yolks, at room temperature When you cream (beat) butter, it may seem at the beginning as if you're just mashing it flat. You tent with aluminum foil if your cake starts to over brown. This one is positively heavenly—sweet and rich but still, somehow, light as a cloud. I took it out as soon as the center seemed remotely cooked and left it on the counter for about an hour before attempting cutting it. Share via Email. In a heavy duty mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter at a medium speed until smooth, about 1 minute. Can you please tell me when to tent the cake with foil? Of course, you have to be careful not to overbake or you'll end up with something too dry! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. 40.5 g I have made this pound cake before. ***Cake can also be baked in a bundt pan. Add comma separated list of ingredients to exclude from recipe. Put the cake in the oven and reduce the temperature to 325 degrees F. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, and the top springs back when lightly pressed, about 1 hour and 30 minutes, for the tube or Bundt pans; and 50 minutes to 1 hour for loaf pans. Bake at 350°F for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until a long wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Southern Living is part of the Meredith Home Group. I only needed small amount of milk. Turn the mixer to low and add in the flour slowly until combined, again scraping the sides to ensure … 264 calories; protein 3.3g 7% DV; carbohydrates 33.1g 11% DV; fat 13.5g 21% DV; cholesterol 70.2mg 23% DV; sodium 103.7mg 4% DV. I think the individuals that posted bad reviews have no concept of what pound cake is. Turn the mixer to its lowest setting. Add the lemon zest and beat for 30 seconds more. Its definately a keeper. Share on Twitter Facebook Instagram Pinterest Twitter YouTube LinkedIn. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Dishes & Beverages. Sour Cream Pound Cake: Replace half of the butter with sour cream. Pour batter evenly into prepared loaf pans. After removing them from the oven, immediately loosen cake edges with a knife. Make sure to use a very large mixing bowl. Don't forget to have a "toasted pound" for breakfast. I sub heavy whipping cream for the milk and add Vanilla, Butter and Continue to beat the butter mixture until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes. Yes, this is the formula for a classic American pound cake as it has been made for well over a century and a half (1:1:1:1 or 1 pound butter, 1 pound sugar, 1 pound flour, 1 pound eggs.) My mother made this recipe or some variation of it for over 60yrs. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt. The more air bubbles you can beat in at this stage, the more air bubbles there are to expand in the heat of the oven. Truth be told, I used 2 teaspoons of vanilla and a wee bit of salt. This pound cake is perfect served as-is, or you can dress it up with sweetened whipped cream and fresh berries. I will use it again and again! Once all the sugar is added, turn the machine off and scrape down the sides of the bowl and paddle with a rubber spatula. Its sooo good the way the recipe intended, but also good once in awhile with berries. LOL! Beat in the eggs one at a time. Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Is that correct?. Congrats! I've also been known to trade the sweet milk, for buttermilk. An excellent recipe and a true pound cake, where you use an actual pound of each ingrediant. Pound cake's flavor "matures" over time. This was so short on liquid that the result was closer to a dough than a batter. Amount is based on available nutrient data. 1/2 teaspoon fine salt. Yum! Turn the machine off and scrape the sides of the bowl again to assure even incorporation of the ingredients. This particular pound cake is incredibly rich; fortunately, a very thin slice goes a long, long way. Drizzle over baked cake. Self rising should never be used in a recipe unless it is specifically called for.