Armor of Agathys. My Conquest Paladin just learned that we most likely be dealing with oozes and slimes in the near future. Armor of Agathys PHB p215 1st-level abjuration Casting Time: 1 action Range: Self Components: V, S, M (a cup … But I was looking at Armor of Agathys. Level 3 is appealing due to second level spells, which gives a 10-hp Armor of Agathys and Mirror Image. The spell clearly states that the creature hitting you takes damage while you have the temporary hit points granted by the spell. I may purchase some temp lesser armor for this part of the adventure if I can. How many levels of Warlock should I take? Between the two choices, the barbarian rage makes the armor of agathys last longer but it prohibits any spellcasting attempt. Since the casting class should be prioritised (for maxing the temp hp pool and of course the damage dealt back to the attackers) being unable to cast is very limiting especially with cantrips like booming blade in the game. You gain 5 temporary hit points for the duration. For Hexblade, the Hexblade's Curse is only available once per short rest. The Barbarian managed to rip a door off its hinges and ended up using it as a tower shield, and instead of using a war hammer our Paladin was dual-wielding light hammers. You can get about 25 thp with this, and any time a mook hits you, they’ll take 25 damage and probably die. It also has fantastic synergy with Resistances to specific damage types. It’s really good. 9. Yes, casting Armor of Agathys at 9th level will give you 45 temp hp and an arcane ward of 45 hp. If a creature hits you with a melee attack while you have these hit points, the creature takes 5 cold damage.. Slower Barbarian progression means less rage damage. There are a couple of slightly more reasonable applications out there, of course. D&D 5e. The shield spell is very different as it is cast as a reaction and specifically states that the AC bonus applies to the triggering attack. Armor of Agathys PHB p.215. Either 3 or 7. Posted by 24 days ago. I looked at it and I always assumed that they take whatever amount of damage they do, but no. Miss out on Barbarian's strong capstone ability. D&D 5e. Re: Armor of Agathys The spell entry states "...if you still have these points..." PHB pg205 talks about durations of spells. Armor of Agathys. So until the greater temp HP is removed, you still have the 1 underneath. The armor of agathys spell does prevent damage (this is what the temporary hit points do) but it doesn't preemptively damage the attacker. I’m the tank and dread having my plate or shield damaged. Barbarian in the Playground Join Date Mar 2014 Location Tx Gender. Barbarian Bard Cleric Druid Fighter Monk Paladin Ranger ... You will need another way to add Armor of Agathys, such as Mark of Warding (you'll need to homebrew copy the spell and add wizards to the spell list, probably renaming it Armor of Agathys - Mark of Warding. Close. The greater spell effect is the primary, but the lesser does not go away. It doesn’t require concentration so there is the potential for some cheesy multiclass shenanigans with raging Barbarians or Druids in the shape of polar bears, but even then it’s not wildly useful.