And Joab came into the house to the king, and said, Thou hast shamed this day the faces of all thy servants, which this day have saved thy life, and the lives of thy sons and of thy daughters, and the lives of thy wives, and the lives of thy concubines; Sometimes this is in the form of a game and other times just a simple review to help children remember what they’ve learned so far. Solomon cannot have divided loyalties. Remain blessed!! Joab showed pragmatism in this instance but his words and actions lacked the sensitivity needed to soothe a heart like David’s. Used by permission of Tyndale House Publishers, Inc., Carol Stream, Illinois 60188. He didn’t even see the dangers as a means to not fight rather he went further to battle. Joab stood for many things as a fervent soldier that he was.how many men can we boost of with such tenacity and impeccable record such as he.but above all,humans are not perfect even with all these feats he still went down.Joab the man of honor and strength we should emulate his fervent and able character. This time includes:– introduction of the attribute– reading and discussing scripture where this truth of God is seen clearly.– often an opportunity for children to act out the story. Just like David applied a more humane, emotional angle to exercising his authority on the throne, so also should our leaders do the same. David was the man after God’s own heart because he believed in the power of God and depended on it wholly. “No matter the position we occupy, we should put in our best but expect our reward from God.” This quote has taught me a lot in moving forward. God bless you Ma. Without God, we are nothing despite our status…. When we feel we are in the right, we should be kind enough to consider the feelings of those who think differently and not treat them brusquely, especially if we are their subordinates. Though David had his own flaws, but if I may say, I will say that David will always succeed more than Joab cos the spiritual of course controls the physical. The incompleteness of joab lies in his poor relationship with God. He and his brothers, Abishai and Asahel, were career soldiers. Our culture does not value it, yet it insists on it. It depifts the true qualities of a leader, qualities that have been sadly forgotten. I will be able to use this for my sunday class to equip them with knowledge of God at their early age. What's Included in each lesson?A 10/15 minute Bible Lesson on the Possessing all the skills and necessary things that can elicit success is important but holding and sticking to God is much more important than your skills. The verses are taken from the Common English Bible tra, Use these Bible verses and character traits to help your student/child grow in their faith and knowledge of God! Especially with the being “loyal, bold and blunt.” Some leaders today are cowards.? If we are in leadership, this is even more imperative! you really took time to deduce good qualities of joab. His life was almost perfect. We believe that children and parents benefit from a  strong Christian education program in the church. Anyone who maintains a positive relationship with God will at all time consider God in all his or her doings and not depend totally on his personal ability as can be seen in the case of Joab. Been brave and courageous is an attribute that is helpful in this present time… But is the most important is relying wholly on God. ‘Be of good courage, and let us be courageous for our people, and for the cities of our God, and may the LORD do what seems good to him. A very thoughtful message contained in here. “5. Most youths are like Joab, has great qualities worthy of emulation but fail to put God first in all they do, which has cost them a lot of things even as far as their lives. I did not really know about Joab.. What are we without God? Understand? Just like Iceprince will say, “…love and loyalty is the powerpower carry us on…”. Without God’s leading, we feel we are on the just part, but would only lead to our destruction If we don’t hide under Him. We must hide ourselves in God’s own integrity. They were questioning why she was still coming and paying for the classes if she wasn’t going to even participate. All these are what prayers and God can prevent. Sin affects our relationships and personality, the way we treat people, and the way they treat us. That you are given an opportunity because you were find worthy does not mean you should disrespect others or forget God like so many people do. God is our first priority in life because without him we wouldn’t be here today but people should also emulate the traits of joab, I’m not too sure people like Joab still exist in this our generation It is good to be valiant and exercise authority but it’s also important to not overstep one’s bounds. … Anger can damage what we have suffered to build for years that is y we must pray and exercise self control…. California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. - Character Trait Sheets - 2 I had you read this story so that you could see an example where God himself speaks of having integrity. Be loyal to everyone over you and your immediate friends and never you be afraid to speak the truth at all times……. I never really focus on Joab when reading about David. Bless you! The story of Joab in the Bible is a great moral instructor on courage but also teaches us to learn restraint even when we feel like over stepping our bounds. No matter what we are, no matter how brave, intelligent ,no matter how strategic we are with life, we are just the empty vessels that make noise if God is not there in our life to direct our steps. And this keep me pushing because it made me adjust my ways bearing in mind that my life style influence people around but positively and negatively. I know that when I’m weak in my relationships with others (like my husband) in these areas, it means I’m weak in my love for God. Simple 10/15 minute Bible Lessons with visuals and a focus on a specific character trait. ESV® Text Edition: 2016. How do they relate? The Character of a Christian Page 1 The Character of a Christian A Wednesday Evening Bible Study of Sixteen Christ-like Characteristics of a Born Again Christian NAME: _____ A Bible Study Lesson Guide prepared for the Bible Baptist Church of Ballincollig, Cork Your email address will not be published. Being pretenders of the faith, giving a show, but having no real substance behind us is extremely destructive to the Body of Christ and the reputation of our Lord! Some translations say “I have led a blameless life.”  Notice here that David says he has walked in his integrity—walking is a way of life. Even the normal laws and rules of life cannot help us or save us all the time, but with God we can maneuver every obstacle at every given time, that is something Joab failed to understand. Thank you, ma, for this wonderful advice. It is the fiber of our moral center that stretches throughout our being, embracing and holding together our relationships when it is sealed as a choice and commitment, and not just a feeling or a … We always need people like that in our lives, people who are certain and strong minded and can make decisions quickly even when we personally are timid about a particular issue. Therefore, if He is not engaged in our daily activities, those who act, act in vain. I must confess I have more knowledge about Joab now.. it is obvious that Joab failed to recognize his maker, God. Godly wisdom is in how you use the knowledge you have. Adding all the braveness and strength Joab has, all was not enough because they lack such a supreme substance backup. God has left his Holy Spirit as a helper, and we can make Psalm 25 (the previous psalm) a prayer of our own that God will lead us and guide us and that we will accept his help (with humility). “12. ? Assignments we carry out everyday must be done engaging our Creator because, if the Lord does not watch over the city, those who watch do so in vain and if he does not build the city, those who build, build in vain. The most significant quality of Joab I learnt is been brave and blunt,fear will eat deep into the root of its host and leave you feeling numb,and also we shouldn’t turn our heart from the giver of light,(God) because we assume we have it all…. we’re working on a PDF direct download for the entire unit but it won’t be ready for several weeks. Again, another lesson to be learnt from the character trait of Joab is that No matter the position we occupy, no matter the post we hold, we should put in work, and don’t expect to be rewarded by man, but by God. Our lives would look a lot different if we were able to even grasp the depths of this…  Have you asked what it means to love your neighbor as yourself? ... Getting to know some bible characters from your blog is a great experience. Our physical strength given to us by God shouldn’t blind us from the fact that it is all the Lords doing. We started using this series in our Sunday School and it’s been such a great tool to teach our children. ON HEALING FROM ABUSE (Lessons from Michael Jackson's Life), SEEKING THE LORD (3 Lessons Learnt from the Magi). First part: Creation to Gilgamesh As mature Christians, we must come to the point that we allow the search and conviction of the Holy Spirit upon our lives to the very core of our souls (2 Cor. Most of us have been blinded by the little talents, gifts we have. These are qualities that we can pray for and ask God for in order to help us develop integrity. • Generosity Thank you very much Aunty Edith for taking such a serious time to dig deep into his life. It really takes a lot to remain humble when you are so good at what you do. Third, it can mean innocence (or blamelessness), being sound or wholesome. Over 100 lessons! Copyright © 2007-2020 Ministry-to-Children. Look at joab he was a force to reckon with ,had lots of good qualities in him and some flaws.but he didn’t really involve God which is really improper. Joab was also reasonable. You can also like my Facebook page, Aunty Edith, follow me on Instagram, Twitter (1), Twitter (2) and Pinterest. What an inspiring expository message! The rest of his men he put in the charge of Abishai his brother, and he arrayed them against the Ammonites. I know what it's like to be needing a la, 12 Character traits, simple definitions and Bible verses. I use the tune from the books of the New Testament. We think we must do these things for them, because we don’t recognize that God is there for us. I’m only going to summarize this, because we’ve taught on it a lot and will continue to teach on it. 2. No matter how powerful, gifted or accomplished we are, we still need to cling to God for His grace and guidance. Then he promises Solomon in verse 4 saying, “if you will walk before me, as David your father walked, with integrity of heart and uprightness, doing according to all that I have commanded you, and keeping my statutes and my rules, then I will establish your royal throne over Israel forever.”. In fact, you cannot talk of David’s military accomplishments without giving lots of credit to Joab, his No. I understand Joabs pain when David thought to seek from others. '” (ESV). I am modifying them for family devotions. I agree with you that we should dwell our strength in God and not on our sword. I am a born-again Christian and lecturer in Communication. Proverbs 25:21-22 Thank you. “2. ? Youths should emulate Joab in terms of his boldness and outspoken manner. For each trait, I aligned a bible verse. Joab is definitely a great character to emulate especially in these times, his courage, wisdom, even his patriotism (a character people don’t really possess these days), his faithfulness since greed has become the order of the day. It is advisable to put God first in everything you do. Joab is a biblical example of the youths today. God factor is immensely relevant. This is really a great piece. “10. Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. IS THE RECENT FIGHT FOR RACIAL JUSTICE WORSENING LIFE FOR BLACKS IN AMERICA?