Turn off the heat and then stir in the spinach, it will wilt with the heat of the curry. Gluten-Free & Dairy Free. It's not too spicy, but totally satisfying. Heat the oil in a large saucepan, add the onion and cook for about 8 minutes, until they are golden. Add the full-fat coconut cream or coconut milk and cook away until the butternut squash is nice and tender. Hope is a New Zealand based Naturopath who has worked in the natural health industry for 11 years. Great simple recipe that everyone enjoys! These cookies will be stored in your browser only with your consent. Lemongrass I don’t often seem to find fresh lemongrass in supermarkets, so this squeezy paste is a great substitute. Add a little more water if dry. Gluten-Free & Dairy Free. The cilantro-yogurt sauce is also an excellent accompaniment to the Indian-Spiced Turkey Breast and the Fragrant Cauliflower in Tomato Sauce. Sometimes you need to add a little liquid to the defrosted curry if it has become too thick, so if you defrost in a frying pan you can just add a little water or lime juice until you have the right consistency of creamy sauce. Yes, freeze in in an airtight container or ziplock bag and it should keep for three months. Add spinach and half of the coriander leaves. Remove lid and simmer for a few minutes longer so the sauce thickens. I made it for the husband and kids and expected a little complaining. Remove the curry from the heat and add in the drained chickpeas and the spinach. Bring to medium heat and simmer for 25 - 30 minutes until the butternut squash is soft. I like to keep it mild so it is child friendly but you can easily add some freshly chopped chili on to individual plates at the end to kick the heat level up a notch or two. Check the seasoning again. Make it quicker…. I do cheat with garlic and ginger in my curries though and use the frozen cubes from the world food freezer section:-). Ginger, lemongrass, lime, chilli, coriander…. If you are sensitive to chickpeas you can leave them out or substitute with some pan-fried tofu. https://thedinnershift.com/.../slow-cooker/butternut-squash-chickpea-curry Then add the chickpeas and butternut squash so that they are covered in the spices. Now pour in the tin of tomatoes and stir, add the butternut squash, peppers and chickpeas, and stock. Simmer over low heat, partially covered, until all the vegetables are soft, 25 to 35 minutes. Some of the curried dishes I make, like my chickpea and eggplant curry… Now this is my kinda curry! Ingredients in butternut squash and chickpea curry recipe. Chillis I’ve used two birds-eye chillis in the recipe, which are almost impossible to de-seed so they really do pack a punch of heat. I love hearing from you! This butternut squash and chickpea curry has a rich and flavorful coconut milk base. Let me tell you they LOVED this recipe for chickpea and butternut squash curry! Roasted Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry. Serves 3… that’s a bit unusual isn’t it? Thanks so much for sharing the recipe, can’t wait to try it , Your email address will not be published. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. For more tasty recipes and to see what I’ve been getting up to you can follow me on Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest or Twitter. This is a delicious vegetable curry with chickpeas and butternut squash, but you can use any other pumpkin as well. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Or no chillis at all if that’s the way you like it! nutrition-modal. This is the sort of weeknight supper you look forward to all day, whilst also special enough to serve to guests for a fabulous, fragrant feast. Food & Wine is part of the Meredith Corporation Allrecipes Food Group. Preheat the oven to 375°. This vegan butternut squash and chickpea curry is delicious! This creamy and fragrant chickpea and butternut squash curry is packed with flavour and straightforward to make with step-by-step photos. The butternut squash lends an additional creamy texture to this curry along with a hint of natural sweetness. You can also tag me #lovefoodnourish on Instagram – I love seeing your creations! Serving 4 would be a bit of a stretch, and it is too much for two. Remove from the hob. Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. This chickpea and butternut squash curry was excellent. This golden butternut chickpea curry is my newest favorite weeknight meal! Cook for another 1-2 minutes until the spinach leaves have wilted. Bring to the boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 35 to 40 minutes, stirring every so often. How to Make Vegan Butternut Squash & Chickpea Curry Step By Step. Hi I’m Hope, I’m a food loving New Zealand based Registered Naturopath. Add the turmeric, coriander stalks, lemongrass, finely sliced chillis and the zest of the lime to the pan and fry for a minute or two, still over a gentle heat. you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space: I’m linking this post with the CookBlogShare blogging challenge, hosted this week by Peachicks’ Bakery, Filed Under: Vegan Main Courses, Vegan Recipes Tagged With: thai. Once all the spinach has been added the curry is ready to serve. allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/50809/butternut-squash-and-chickpea-curry.aspx Add the chickpeas and butternut squash to the pan. Add the sugar and stir, then the spinach leaves. Stir until they are both coated in the onions, garlic and spices. Do whichever you need to! Garlic cloves I do find there’s a difference in taste between using proper garlic cloves and the ‘lazy’ stuff in a jar. Add enough water to cover vegetables halfway. Please feel free to use your preferred nutrition calculator. Cook for about two minutes then add the turmeric, garam masala, ground coriander and cumin seeds, mix well and cook for about 1 minute. More Easy Indian Dishes. And if you have tried this recipe, please do leave a star rating and comment below which is so helpful for other readers wanting to try the recipe. Course: Main Course. Have a great day. Read More…, Never miss a recipe. This creamy and fragrant chickpea and butternut squash curry is packed with flavour and straightforward to make with step-by-step photos. Add cardamom pods, chile peppers, coriander seeds, turmeric, and mustard seeds and toast for 1 minute. It was a really good portion size for two of us, with an extra single portion for my lunch the following day. Hope. you know by just reading the ingredients list that this curry is going to be packed with flavour, and it doesn’t disappoint. I'm vegan so I think this would be good with a tahini dressing. Copyright © 2020 - Love Food Nourish. I do this in two batches, drop a large handful of spinach into the curry stir it gently until it is wilted then repeat with the remaining spinach. Stir butternut squash and carrots into the pot. This curry makes an easy Vegetarian or Vegan dinner that the whole family will enjoy. Something went wrong. Drain. I love curries made with ginger, lemongrass and garlic – there’s so much flavour in the sauce. Ginger, lemongrass, lime, chilli, coriander…. Well I can’t abide recipes that ask you to add two thirds of a tin of coconut milk or chickpeas, leaving little odds and ends in pots in the fridge, not really enough to do anything substantial with, and all too likely to be wasted. Make it as mild or as spicy as you like! Turn off the heat and then start adding the spinach. Please use full fat coconut cream or milk not the light version. If you can’t find it, then this one is a close second. This curry freezes really well, so you make up a double batch whilst you’re at it and freeze in individual portions. I'm on a mission to prove that vegan food can be every bit as delicious and decadent as its non-vegan equivalent! Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Butternut Squash is the star of this curry, it’s such a great vegetable to use in a curry adding sweetness and texture to it. Those ingredients sound right up my street. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. In a large bowl, toss the butternut squash with the chickpeas, olive oil, curry and cayenne and season with salt and pepper. All Rights Reserved. Out of these, the cookies that are categorized as necessary are stored on your browser as they are essential for the working of basic functionalities of the website. Leave to simmer for about 30 minutes stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Amount is based on available nutrient data. Here you will find delicious wholefood recipes that are gluten free & allergy friendly.....along with nutritious versions of your favourite treats! Next add the rest of the spices and salt to the pan, cook for another minute until the spices gently pop and are mixed through the onion and garlic. Nutrient information is not available for all ingredients. You saved Vegan Butternut Squash and Chickpea Curry to your. Add the salt and pepper. Made with by Michelle Alston. Information is not currently available for this nutrient. My husband is going to love this recipe! Serve with rice or your choice or sides. In a skillet or pan heat the coconut oil, saute the onions, and garlic until translucent.