Question: What leadership principles have you learned from the life of David? myself "dwelling" on things such as personal provisions or things that need to As Israel’s second king, David built a small empire. David claimed that when Goliath is defeated, the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel. He was not perfect, but with God’s guidance he led the nation of Israel to prominence and success it had never experienced in its thousand years of history. We He sent the troops out in three groups, placing one group under Joab, one under Joab’s brother Abishai son of Zeruiah, and one under Ittai, the man from Gath. Chronicles 14:8-17 or 2 Samuel 4:17-25), David knew that there was a time for everything, and a season for every activity Principle: When David came to his palace in Jerusalem, he took the ten concubines he had left to look after the palace and placed them in seclusion. Each principle will start with a related Scripture, an observation about David, and then a principle about leadership. when my hands are free from violence, may the God of our father see it and judge you.' The leader is merely the participant who administers God’s plan. The one summary most prevalent in these dozen leadership principles based on the life of David is a focus on God. The LORD should be praised as being true and alive, evidenced by what He has done in the life of a leader. As an outlaw with a price on his head, David led the life of a Robin Hood on the desert frontier of his tribal domain in Judah (in the south of the Levant). The Bible makes it very clear that this is how sin works. Israel, attacked them and struck them down. He became the leader and organizer of a group of other outlaws and refugees, who progressively ingratiated themselves with the local population by protecting them from other bandits or, in case they had been raided, by pursuing the raiders and restoring the possessions that had been taken. I will give you all the property that once belonged to your grandfather Saul, and you will eat here with me at the king’s table!” Mephibosheth bowed respectfully and exclaimed, “Who is your servant, that you should show such kindness to a dead dog like me?” Then the king summoned Saul’s servant Ziba and said, “I have given your master’s grandson everything that belonged to Saul and his family. as one of the keys in knowing the will of God in my own life. God." He was the father of Solomon, who expanded the empire that David built. (These are also some of the fruits of the Spirit--Galatians 5:22, evident in the lives of those who obey God--Acts 5:32.) did this even though David had sent Abner away in peace (2 Samuel 3:22-39). When Hanun saw David's men coming, he disgraced them by shaving off half their He went on to become the overlord of many small kingdoms bordering Israel. Observation: continual fear of God before the eyes of David. (Even an atheist believes David to have been an important figure.). Shimei would get his reward soon enough. So David went to Baal-perazim and defeated the Philistines there. This David trusted God (Psalm 4:3; 13:4; 21:7; 28:7; 52:8; 1 Samuel 17:37,46-47), and he The battle was the Lord’s battle and David was merely participating in it. However, I often skip the step of prayerfully asking God what He might want me to do and where He might want me to go. He is an important figure in Judaism, Christianity, and Islam. Omissions? Ziba replied, “Yes, my lord the king; I am your servant, and I will do all that you have commanded.” And from that time on, Mephibosheth ate regularly at David’s table, like one of the king’s own sons. The Lord was his rock, his refuge, his high tower, Even though David had fled from the city of Jerusalem he still led his men. So David gathered all As a youth, David distinguished himself as a musician and warrior. He defeated the Philistines so thoroughly that they never seriously threatened the Israelites’ security again, and he annexed the coastal region. "Search me, O God, and know my his own understanding and yielded to the fact that God had brought men from his foe's camp And, as a wickedness. Principle: desert of Ziph, David's men encouraged and prodded him to strike Saul down because killing every man and woman of the Geshurites, Girzites, and Amalekites so no one could or any other thing can give). I will make effective use of every opportunity the Lord gives me to declare His word (even Just as David was (from a human point of view) in fighting lions and bears he was also at a disadvantage when fighting Goliath. ", And regarding Shimei, whom David swore on oath he would not kill, David told And then I will give the dead bodies of your men to the birds and wild animals, and the whole world will know that there is a God in Israel!”. Who was King David in the Bible? I noticed how David David had confidence in his ability because of past experience fighting lions and bears while guarding his father’s sheep. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission. “And may the Lord be with you!”. David was feared by Saul more and more as the Lord continued to bless David (1 David had the wisdom to know the when Is it spent talking about vain things and about “When a lion or a bear comes to steal a lamb from the flock, I go after it with a club and rescue the lamb from its mouth. “And everyone assembled here will know that the Lord rescues his people, but not with sword and spear. to hate, a time for war and a time for peace. (For if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have him struck down on the spot for killing the Lord's anointed (2 Samuel 1:1-16). did not fear man and his devices. This is the Lord’s battle, and he will give you to us!”. righteousness in the strength of the Lord (Psalms 63:1-11; 71:5-8). I According to the biblical account, David was proclaimed king in Hebron. Principle: David’s past experience gave him confidence to fight the Philistine. Articles from Britannica Encyclopedias for elementary and high school students. Principle: According to scripture, David is a young shepherd who earns recognition initially as a musician and later by defeating the gigantic champion, Goliath. possessions) to those who stayed with the supplies as those who fought and had victory (Psalm 34:1). did not want to give any plunder to their weaker partners. 16:21-22). 18:14,30). I can do this by seeking His will before I begin to dream and see things that I might be able to do. (1 Samuel 30:6)  There was a