Since the tofu doesn’t really absorb much if any marinade I don’t bother waiting 30 minutes. * If you don't have access to pressed tofu - you can, Chinese Five Spice Powder Recipe [Homemade] | Masala Herb, Sichuan Spicy Beef Tendons (涼拌牛筋) - It's My Dish, Raindrop Cake – Mizu Shingen Mochi (水信玄餅), Dorayaki どら焼き (Doraemon’s favorite snack), 2 cup of water (enough to submerse the tofu in liquid), 1 fresh red chili pepper sliced (optional). I make easy-to-follow, wholesome, and budget-friendly vegan recipes that are mostly gluten-free and refined sugar-free. It can be eaten chilled as a salad, stir-fried, or braised. I have read and agree to the terms & conditions, @2016 - PenciDesign. If you do not have an oven-safe pot or pan (all metal), transfer the tofu to an oven-safe dish and follow the same process. They’ll keep in your fridge for up to one week, or you can freeze the tofu for up to two months. All you need is one pan and 5 ingredients to make it! ★☆ Let it braise on a gentle boil for about 30 minutes. Flavorful five spice pressed tofu that can be used for various recipes. Most of the time I buy plain ol’ Extra Firm Tofu from the store and season it myself, but every once in a while I buy one of those pre-flavored packs – you know, for convenience. It’s usually a little more expensive, but I find that it’s well-worth the saved time, Coconut Sugar can be replaced with equal parts of another dry sweetener (like brown sugar) or liquid sweetener (like maple syrup). *** five spice is a mixture of cinnamon, cloves, fennel, star anise, and Szechuan peppercorn. ★☆ Finally, if you make this recipe and decide to share it on Facebook or Instagram, don’t forget to tag me @FromMyBowl + #FromMyBowl! Turn the heat down to medium and put in the tofu squares and braise for about 30 minutes. Carefully place the tofu in the marinade, then cover and let sit for 30 minutes. Designed and Developed by PenciDesign, Ah, tofu. Extra-Firm tofu needs to be pressed, as it comes packaged in water. After the first time I made the recipe, I have simplified it a bit. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. ), …or over plain ol’ rice! Some people love it, some people…don’t. Bake at 350F for 15 minutes. Cut up each tofu into 4 squares so you have 16 squares. You’ll need one block of either Extra Firm or Super Firm tofu for this recipe. **dark soy sauce gives the tofu a darker browner finish but you can use regular soy sauce Turn tofu over and bake for another 15 minutes until braising liquid has dried. Instructions: I’m definitely in the former category here, and unless you’re avoiding soy for allergy reasons (and not, If you’re looking for more Asian-inspired recipes, you’ll also love this, Finally, if you make this recipe and decide to share it on, + #FromMyBowl! Make a plate (or bowl), sit back, and relax! Super Firm (also called High Protein) tofu is pre-pressed and isn’t sealed with any extra liquid, so you can skip this step if you purchase that! That’s great! Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. […] can be filled with seafood, but today we’re using tofu to keep things vegan-friendly! My son isn’t a fan of salad rolls, so I prepared extra rice noodles and added the tofu to make a bowl. Five Spice Pressed Tofu (also known as dried tofu) is a very versatile ingredient for a variety of recipes. Simply combine some Vegetable Broth, Tamari, Coconut Sugar, and Chinese Five Spice blend together in the bottom of a large, oven-safe pot. I'm also an avid yogi, love the great outdoors, am chocolate-obsessed, and enjoy eating almond butter straight off of the spoon. Remove and place into a single layer on a baking sheet layered with parchment paper (to prevent sticking). It should keep up to 1 week. It’s a blank vessel. Looks nummy Caitlin! Glad you’ve been enjoying it! This is my favorite way to eat super firm tofu! If you don’t have much room in your pot, remove one piece of tofu while flipping the other three for an easier time . Which means you can infuse it with just about any flavor that you’d like! ★☆. Let it cool before storing in an airtight container in the refrigerator. If you’re using Extra Firm (left), you’ll need to press your tofu for about 30 minutes or so to get all of the extra liquid out. Long answer: Yes, because this last step in the oven is the key to ultimate flavor infusion! Pro-Tip: if you have any leftover marinade, save it and use as a yummy sauce! ★☆ Awesome job, thank you!! Heat a bit oil (coconut or … I have made it into slabs, cubes, and crumbles and have used it for stir fry, rice bowls, tacos, salads, wraps, tacos, and just snacking. It can act as a meat substitute for many dishes as well as complement a meat dish. Even if some of the pieces are not fully submerged this works fine. Press your tofu* to remove any extra moisture. Bring the pot of marinating tofu to a simmer, then cook covered for 20 minutes on medium-low heat. Some popular dishes include 「Braised Pork Belly with Pressed Tofu」 (豆干紅燒肉), 「Sliced Pressed Tofu with Pork Stir-Fry」 (香乾肉絲), and 「Pressed Tofu Salad」 (涼拌豆干).