A bit of time is all, to squish, squash, wash. Servings: Prepare 300 grams of wheat gluten. ~ellen, I was super duper excited to try my hand at making Chinese Wheat Gluten Mian Jin, or 麵筋, because my dearest Grandma 奶奶 used to make it for us all the time when I was growing up. Just cover your dough with a cloth and leave it for a bit to stretch out and relax. Thank you! ~ellen. With this, I may churn out more recipes of common mock meat being sold in the supermarket. Please do not use only images without prior permission. (1) Use a knife to poke a slit into each gluten ball. Once you have your wheat gluten washed you tear it into small pieces and either boil, steam or deep fry it. Using a very powerful dough mixer (I use a KitchenAid artesian.) Hope you like the post today. To use fried gluten in stir fried dishes, you need to soak the balls in water first to soften them. For the next stage of making wheat gluten main jin you can either boil, steam or deep fry it. It's that easy, oh my dear readers, to make homemade wheat gluten. If you have been the vegetarian restaurant, you may have eaten some type of chewy texture ingredients that was usually presented in the form of mock meat.. It was widely consumed by the Chinese as a substitute for meat, especially among adherents of Buddhism. All rights reserved. Instead of leaving only the gluten, my whole dough became sticky and was reduced to not even half of its original size. For stews and braised dishes, you can use them immediately without any prep. Wash out all that starch! for the protein - 500 grams mian jin or other vegan protein, 1 teaspoon ground black pepper (or white pepper if you prefer). Soak for about 30 minutes, until all the balls turn soft. In a bowl, dilute dry yellow soybean paste and sweet bean sauce (or hoisin sauce) with water. 4. Drained and set aside. Since this is a dry-mixed noodle dish, I high recommend matching it with a warm soup. I really love the way you explained the recipe and how easy it was but for some strange reason, when I did it, it didn't turn out right. ~ellen. It is supposed to be very elastic as in the picture. Easier and more straightforward. As a general rule I recommend using 50ml of gin for each cocktail unless otherwise stated. With this main ingredient, wheat gluten can be churned into different delicious vegetarian cooking ingredients. The boiled version is called 水面筋 whereas the deep fried version is called 油 面筋。, The water from washing the gluten is essential wheat starch (澄粉), the type of starch that were used in the preparation of shrimp dumpling (虾饺)。 If these starches were steamed, it will become an appetizer common in China (粉皮 or 凉粉). . The paste is quite salty, if you want a lighter taste, use 2 tablespoons of yellow bean paste and 1 tablespoon of Tian Mian Jiang. This is easy to follow. You may need to wash 5-6 times . Use fresh citrus juice and balance 20ml of that to 15ml of sugar syrup that’s been made from equal parts sugar and water (you’ll find a recipe at the bottom of the page). Get ready another big pot. Move the pork to the edges of the pan, add garlic and ginger, fry over slow fire until aromatic. This chewy elastic substance is called mian jin or wheat gluten. The bits of white are the last starchy bits which I easily removed with my fingers. They are slightly greasy themselves and have a meaty texture. Serve on a bed of steamed rice and top with extra sesame seeds. Powered by. Thanks for the tip about how to use the extra starch, I'll have to try that next time! Select your device and start downloading. 1 kilogram of plain flour 550 grams of water 1 teaspoon of salt Oct 22, 2016 - I'm very pleased to report that making your own Homemade Chinese Wheat Gluten Mian Jin or 自製麵筋 is actually much easier than I thought it was going to be, verra verra tasty and you can make all kinds of mouth watering Chinese vegetarian dishes with it. Shanghai-based foodie and restaurateur Lindsey Fine (aka Veggie Mama) has been creating all sorts of delicious vegan recipes since moving to China eight years ago. 2. I was over the moon when I found your recipe! This recipe is a keeper. To prepare this is definitely not difficult but the recovery rate are very low, about only 30%. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! Repeat. From the pot of water from the washing of the dough, let it rest until all the starch deposited at the bottom of the pot. Some types of wheat gluten have a chewy or stringy texture that resembles meat more than other substitutes. Sifu, I don’t really understand for the frying part.. after store in the fridge for 2-3 hrs then can directly deep fry? It does work. Pour in Chinese cooking wine for a more pure taste. Squish, squash, wash.  Change the water. The beige is the wheat gluten. Yes, 1/2 do deep fried and half do water boiled, You are porefessional kitchen Master. Mix flour and water together in bowl. Vegetable Udon Stir Fry (Veggie Yaki Udon), Sui Mi Ya Cai (碎米芽菜, Preserved Mustard Greens). I love using mian jin for this recipe because of its texture, but you can use any kind of vegan protein. Add some water to your flour and knead a bit until it comes together as a dough. I think that strong flour or bread flour will give you a bit more gluten but it's usually more expensive so I just went with the regular flour. Theoretically, the longer you knead, the more developed will be the gluten structure. Drained and when cooled completely, keep in an air tight container. mian jin Additionally, you can easily make this dish gluten free by using cauliflower or tofu. FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED FACEBOOK GROUP. Remove bamboo shoots from wok. If you do not have the mixer, you can use hand knead until you feel the elasticity of the dough and do not stick to your hands. Start browsing recipes right away or you could learn more about me here. This post is about wheat gluten or seitan or mian jin (面筋)- an important cooking ingredient in Mahayana Buddhism as a substitute of meat. Use a plate or a lid to cover the bowl, so the gluten balls stay under water. Steaming creates a nice fluffy rise and good aeration of the gluten. They have a smooth surface and a crispy texture and are very lightweight. 1. Thanks a lot. Lower heat and add in the dark and light soy sauce, rice wine, sugar and the reserved mushroom soaking liquid, cover and simmer for 30 mins. Each method produces different to slightly different results in texture. As this is a rather long post, I will minimize the write up and go straight to the preparation with the hope that it will help readers who are in need of this recipe since store bought wheat gluten can be rather costly and we are unsure if any impurities have been added. This is an excellent explanation and recipe. Hello Dear Readers! You'll have a richly textured completely vegetarian product which absorbs whatever flavor you cook it in to become juicy and tender, deliciously chewy and sometimes squeaky. Sign up to receive our 5-Day Chinese Cooking Crash Course and recipe updates. Do not soak for too long. If you are a Pinterest user and you are interested to have more recipes, you can join or follow this Pinterest Board set up by me  where there are more than 2600 recipes worldwide and pinned by various bloggers, FOOD BLOGGERS AND FOODIES UNITED PINTEREST BOARD, This error message is only visible to WordPress admins, 3.6 – Interesting Cooking Ingredients Series, 4.9 – South Asia (India, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Banglade), 9.1.5 – Plant Survival and Inspiration Series, 9.1.6 – Plants Around My Neighborhood and In Singapore, 9.7 – Things I Just Discovered In Singapore Series, A Trendy Mooncake Festival Snack Dan Huang Su AKA Salted Egg Yolk Flaky Pastry or 蛋黄酥, Chinese New Year Recipes–Mixed Nuts Florentine (杂果仁脆片), Old Timer Delights: Soft Coconut Sweets or Candy (古早味椰子软糖), Teochew aka Chaozhou Sweet And Savoury Dumplings (潮汕双拼肉粽), Fried Dace With Fermented Black Beans (豆豉鲮鱼), Sambal Haebeehiam Glutinous Rice Dumpling aka Chilli Dried Shrimp Floss Dumpling (辣虾米鬆粽子), Cheesy Portobello Mushrooms With Bacons (奶酪培根烤波托贝罗蘑菇), Red Yeast Rice Residue Chicken aka Hong Zao Ji (酒香红糟鸡), Baked Chicken In Garlic Cheddar Sauces (蒜香芝士酱烤鸡), Chinese Gozabi Dessert: Flour Tea aka Mee Teh (古早味面茶), Fermented Black Soya Bean Minced Meat (豆豉炒肉末), Homemade Sour Mustard or Sour Vegetable (家居自制酸菜). I'm very pleased to report that making your own Homemade Chinese Wheat Gluten Mian Jin or 自製麵筋 is actually much easier than I thought it was going to be, verra verra tasty and you can make all kinds of mouth watering Chinese 'mock' meat vegetarian dishes with it. Boiling also creates rise and seems to provide more of a squeak when you chew. It is…. So thank you all dear readers, know that you have our sincere thanks for supporting our cookery wookery efforts at The Hong Kong Cookery! I would be more than happy if you can  post in the Group for the recipes that you tried from my blog. Since the mid-20th century, wheat gluten (generally known by its macrobiotic name, seitan) has been increasingly adopted by vegetarians in Western nations as a meat alternative.It is sold in block, strip and shaped forms in North America, where it can be found in some supermarkets, Asian food markets, health food stores and cooperatives. Boiling and steaming both will make something you can use for. Have you ever tried Korean black bean sauce noodles (Jajangmyeon, 자장면 or Jjajangmyeon, 짜장면) before? Please go to the Instagram Feed settings page to connect an account. for some more personal sharing other than recipes. Cool - thanks for letting us know! Boil until the wheat gluten floated upwards. Repeat until the water no longer turns milky white but is only slightly cloudy. Hope to hear from you! It is made by washing wheat flour dough with water until all the starch granules have been removed, leaving the sticky insoluble gluten as an elastic mass which is then cooked before being eaten.Wheat gluten is an alternative to soybean-based foods such as tofu, which are sometimes used as meat substitutes. Hi EllenDo you know of any online sources where one can purchase mianjin? Deep fried both sides until golden brown and there are no bubbles emitted. I didn’t rest the gluten.I think food made from spring wheat has a softer texture from my experience in making biscuits from organic spring wheat…..soooo good.