Whereas we will focus primarily on the sound, there is excellent crabbing all along the coast. 3 0 obj <> %PDF-1.5 1 0 obj I’ve caught crab in Birch Bay in 10 feet of water, all the way up to 120 feet in the Hood Canal. Also, as we’ve seen crabs operate on a cyclical breeding cycle, that can vary greatly year to year. The last criteria are just something I’ve seen over the years. Keep an eye out for a list of more of my favorite beaches out soon (top secret info!!). There I was in my waders, pulling my wife’s laundry hamper behind me as I essentially trolled the eel grass, seaweed patches and sand flats for Dungeness and red rocks on a Central Sound beach during Monday’s -2.5-foot late morning low tide. Look for sand and bits of eelgrass floating around the water. Dungeness crabs flourish in the sandy eelgrass beds that many of the Puget sound beaches have. I stick to 80 feet and under because I usually only put 100 ft of rope on my pots. Put simply, I’ve had a great spot year after year but suddenly, next season it can be crap. Sheltered smaller bays offer crabs protection, moderate depth and most importantly, sand and eel-grass. Detailed Description. 2 0 obj This is why it’s so important to be able to quickly and efficiently find a new spot. Bring out your 2-4 pots (I usually have 4 as I often go with my brother), string them along in 4 different depths and spots. endobj As the season approaches, most people have their tried and true spots (Sorry if I give any away in the future) but part of the fun of crabbing is finding new spots and places where you can get bigger and better crabs. Red Rock crabs are found in the rocky bottoms and pier-side throughout much of the Sound. It inhabits mid-intertidal waters to 79 m depth. A funny thing happened as I attempted to catch crabs with what I was billing to others as the “least effective way possible.” It worked. C. productus ranges from Kodiak Island, Alaska to Isla San Martine, Baja California. Big, meaty and delicious these crabs are plentiful in the Puget Sound region and we will give you the knowledge you need to catch, clean and cook these as well as their under appreciated cousins the Red Rock Crab. Crabbers may also keep six red rock crabs of either sex per day with a minimum carapace width of 5 inches, and six Tanner crabs of either sex with a minimum carapace of 4 1/2 inches. Pots can get swept around and it seems the crabs don’t like the fast-moving water. Puget Sound Wiki is a FANDOM Lifestyle Community. Small living crabs and dead fish are also eaten. Both males and females with a carapace that exceeds 5” may be harvested in Washington, when in season. Although the Rock Crab is harvested by sport fishermen, there is no commercial fishery. Dungeness crabs flourish in the sandy eelgrass beds that many of the Puget sound beaches have. It’s not a bad idea to see about buying a NOAA chart for the most accurate info that you can take with you. Howeveer, the flesh has a delicate flavor that is slightly sweet. Apr 6, 2016 - This Pin was discovered by Harsh Lowe. The male can often been seen guarding females until molting during this time. Finding these spots can be fairly easy, as most lie within 100 to 600 yards from shore. I personally try to crab between depths of 20-80 feet deep. I’ve been crabbing by myself with 2 pots and had 12 crabs consistently from that spot each day. ']�7�J[z"PmZ'~�' : Coastal crabbing opportunities are managed separately from Puget Sound. Crabbing in Puget Sound Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife Brochure Version 1.0 December 23, 2010 For more information and rules about harvesting Red Rock crabs in Puget Sound please visit our website at - www.wdfw.wa.gov Reporting your catch to WDFW Crabbers must report their Dungeness crab catch by the date printed on the Catch Re- Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. Visit my online Contributions page for more information on how to support Made In Puget Sound® Red Rock Crab in Puget Sound Video Optimized for iPhone and Android on YouTube. Find what works for you, and spots that do too. As far as location goes in Washington, there are quite a few places to go crabbing. It’s up to you to find them. A Red Rock Crab (Romaleon antennarium) captured in a beach seine during a 2012 Bainbridge Island larval forage fish survey.This survey focused on the abundance, habitat use, and food habits of larval forage fish (surf smelt and sand lance) and was conducted by scientists from the Columbia River Research Laboratory -Western Fisheries Research Center. Cancer productus, one of several species known as the Red Rock Crab, is a crab of the genus Cancer found on the western coast of North America. This has been my backyard for my whole life and hasn’t steered me wrong yet. In the beginning, crab as close to your house as you can and begin to explore outwards to further beaches and see what works. ��Y�H��g�yK���ޭk�:���[N���K$[hz�oxt�w��"AWN��3ƉY?tWi����M�|�5{NH�W��?~%��D��{��Q6���і(xV����olu����ͯ�_���4��X�}���?�r,�������}����`�3���FM}�bt�b ˝��6��5��bzw�M�I�ۂ�WTjai�h�� Cancer productus, one of several species known as the Red Rock Crab, is a crab of the genus Cancer found on the western coast of North America. stream x��\[��F�~7��Џ����y[�q�ǻ0�u|�q����f��H��fv��O}U͛F�1E�]]]ׯ�����������O������wʶ"����uUs���ﺖ)7T��X���(�|��o���������RZ��uk[�m;��2��H׌����?