Run the thread(s) through the needles and slowly pull on the thread. This is a tough one to get your head around when you move from a sewing machine to a serger, but the order that you thread your serger is important. Once you purchase a Class or join as a Member, each individual bonus element is accessible by simply clicking on each item. Serger Troubleshooting Guide. Even though you will have been able to view all videos and download any Bonus Materials, we have a 100% money-back guarantee on any Class you purchase on an ala carte basis (Purchase to Own). Serger Troubleshooting. Check the tension settings and ensure they’re in the proper position for the fabric you’re using. Using basic sewing skills and an eagle eye for the good stuff at yard sales, you'll turn cast-off clothes into cute accessories. Yes, absolutely. As with the Class video, you can access the Bonus Materials as many times as you like – or you can print them out also. If the thread is not inserted correctly in the tension disc, the thread tension will be off. This is what my stitching looks like when the aerial is down - slightly uneven in a random sort of way: This is another one that sounds obvious, but when you are sewing multiple layers of fabric, it's not always as easy to tell as a sewing machine if your presser foot is up. Unless you’re highly experienced in locating and fixing common problems, avoid the urge to jump into troubleshooting without knowing what to look for. With more than 25 years of teaching new-owner serger classes, Sara Snuggerud has seen it all. They can include an overly long stitch length for the fabric type and weight, setting the presser foot pressure too high, using the wrong presser foot, working with the wrong type of thread or even a blunt needle. Other signs are you can't cut through multiple layers with ease, your machine keeps jamming, or the trimmed piece gets caught in your threads. Like rebooting a computer, sometimes the only thing to do is to unthread the machine and start again. Serger Troubleshooting Guide: Quickly fix your serger woes. One of those options is to purchase the Class on its own. Just be sure to Log In for access to MY ACCOUNT. If you do find caught or tangled threads, remove them and re-thread the machine. Finally, build confidence performing simple maintenance at home to make your serger last a lifetime. Check your manual to make sure you thread in the correct order for your machine. When not in the store, she teaches serger classes and hosts serger workshops. Create an account to unlock more features: Weekly sewing news, tutorials and inspiration straight to your inbox. This can be done by a smart switch present in all serger models. Your personal data will be used to support your experience throughout this website, to manage access to your account, and for other purposes described in our privacy policy. Behind the tension dials are discs that hold the threads in place. Instead of access to all Craftsy content, purchase this individual class. Within your MY ACCOUNT, a section labeled “My Classes” will appear, including a link to watch the videos of your Class and to access any Bonus Materials included. Somehow, you are able to stitch rolled hem with two or three threads depending on the situation. This refund is available if you request it within 30 days of your Class purchase. ... Boost your know-how further as you learn to stitch the perfect rolled seam and flatlock stitch. I love sewing with my serger. If you've already threaded your machine, you can reinsert the threads by holding it above and below the tension disc and "floss" it into position (with the presser foot up). It will also dislodge any threads that might be stuck in your tension disc. If the presser foot pressure is too low, the seam may start gathering as the fabric isn't being pulled through the machine. With that thought in mind, we’ve compiled several common problems that occur in sergers – and the solutions to getting your machine humming again. Do the opposite if the lower stitches are loose. For any Bonus Materials element that is a PDF Download, yes you can. If the fabric you just started to stitch suddenly jams while traveling under the needles, it might be due to tangled thread caught in the feed dogs, stitch fingers or simply a loose or open looper cover. No problem. Turn the dial (typically on the top of the machine, above the needle area) down to lower the pressure. Put your serger in the spotlight! If your access to a Class is through Premium Membership in Craftsy, then there is no refund available on any specific Class. Check that both needles are securely seated and they exhibit no signs of dirt, oil or damage. Learn serger troubleshooting techniques and make the most of your machine with sewing educator Sara Snuggerud. Thank you for watching! CustomerService June 27, 2018 - 12:39 pm. Make sure you use the right type of needle for your machine (it may be written on your machine or check your manual). There’s no need to rush off and throw your money to your local repair shop or dealership at the first sign of trouble. I bought my serger more than 10 years ago, and I haven't needed to change the blade (and it came with a spare blade!). But when things go wrong, it can be difficult to know where to start serger troubleshooting. Also, each Class Lesson has a brief written summary of its content, including the length of each Lesson video. If you're not sure what that should be, check your serger manual. Check all three areas. You are so awesome!! When you click on the “Get Class Access” button near the top of the Class page, you’ll be given a couple purchase options. And remember, pulling the fabric while stitching can bend needles. Until you purchase a Class, or are a Craftsy Premium Member, the Class Bonus Materials (any PDF download materials, etc.) Next, set the stitch length and tension. An improperly closed looper cover needs no special attention: simply secure it and try going on with your project. In an attempt to avoid this situation, please review the Class Preview video and the various other written descriptions of the Class and each Lesson before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. When all else fails, leave it to the professionals. Firstly, always thread your serger with the presser foot in the up position. Review the Class Preview video, and the various written descriptions of the Class and each Lesson before you purchase, so you have a good understanding of the Class content. We also highly recommend using the latest version of Firefox, Safari, Chrome, or Edge as your Internet Browser. Beginner Sewing Supplies - what do you really need? Do you still have it set up for a rolled hem when doing a normal overlock stitch? Keep your money in your wallet. Couturier Kenneth D. King teaches this amazing class, full of couture sewing techniques. In my serger I have a little gadget to add if I want to by-pass the upper looper. This will give you a flavor for the Instructor and the skills or project that you’ll learn in the Class. Turn the differential feed down to balance it out. You can access your Class as many times as you wish, and you’ll never lose access to your Account information. When you’re ready to purchase and gain access to the Class, simply click the “Get Class Access” (or it may show “Purchase to Own”) and proceed. ), you should be able to feel the tension on the thread when you pull it gently. Here’s where I have to place the gadget: The good news is that, like sewing machines, you might be able to locate and repair the problem yourself. Also, make sure to back very sheer fabrics with tissue or removable backing. (Thread tension guide coming soon! But sergers can be slightly intimidating with all those knobs and threads, so let’s see if we can help with some tips and tricks for serger troubleshooting. The recommended screen resolution is 1024 x 768 or larger. You will get a good feel for the complete Class content by reviewing these various elements. Roll up your sleeves and make a perfectly tailored shirt with the help of expert shirtmaker Pam Howard. We are glad you found it helpful! Adjusting the differential feed can stop (or create) rippling, particularly in stretch fabric. Pull it up as far as it will go. Nearly every Class has a free “Class Preview” video clip. In addition, the Overview tab includes a thorough written description of the Class. Here's what to check when things go wrong with your serger: Whether you've unpacked your serger for the first time, moved it, or popped the aerial down to put a cover on, it's easy to forget to (or not realise you need to) put the thread aerial up (the top part of the serger that holds the threads up high). Heavy woolens and often thick layers of denim, canvas or duck cloth require using a heavier, sharper needle. Your Class video content is best enjoyed when viewed on a device manufactured in the past few years, with a good broadband Internet or WIFI connection (not dialup). No. This is useful for 2-threads overlock, 2-threads narrow hem and also for 3-thread super stretch stitch because it is the only stitch that requires 2 needles plus 1 looper (the lower one). Thank you for these tips. Bless you & thank you!! A rolled hem with three threads is commonly used while for the lighter look and slightly finer rolled hem you can use two threads. Absolutely not. You can view your Class whenever you want, and you can view individual Lessons in whatever order you like. Once you purchase a Class or become a Craftsy Premium Member, you’ll have the ability to post a question, comment, or tip in the Class Discussion area.