Vid. The whole book reflects youthful love unlike those whose love has grown cold. But see, for "clefts," Ex 33:18-23. ( סל , as a Himyar. ; Fausset, A. R.; Brown, David. This study prefers the grammatical-historical approach upon the one interpretation rather than an allegory. 1. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/geb/song-of-solomon-2.html. Let me see thy countenance — Be not afraid to appear before me; let me hear thy voice — Thy prayers and praises. First we have what the bride is as seen in Christ, "My dove." It was more troublesome to Severus the emperor - to Christ you may be sure it is - to be asked nothing of his courtiers, than to grant them much. And this sense seems to be favoured by the following words, in which Christ relieveth her against such discouraging thoughts. Sweet is thy voice, and thy countenance is comely; thy person and services are accepted by me, and are amiable in my sight. ‘Follow the Lamb whithersoever he goeth.'. Exodus 33:22. (Menochius). 6. Jeremiah 48:28; Ezekiel 7:16) for its roosting places, and avoids the neighbourhood of men. Again and again he climbs its height, and he has entered into familiar intercourse with one of those making their homes in the cleft of the rock. He is the cragsman typified of old! 6:1 chorus "O my dove, in the clefts of the rock." It is not first Lent, and then forgiveness; it is first forgiveness and then Lent. She may be like a shy dove hiding from him in the clefts of the rock in the mountains, and in the coverts of the steep precipice, but he does not want her at a distance. Likewise the church is said to be. The wood-pigeon builds its nest in the clefts of the rocks and other steep rocky places, Jeremiah 48:28. The “Daughters of Jerusalem” must not rush to the wealthy man or go to the man who flatters by praising her body. https:https://www.studylight.org/commentaries/pmc/song-of-solomon-2.html. Hence Jesus enjoined his disciples to be harmless as doves. God bless, My pastor preached 5 lessons never mentioned a 3rd person. The description suggested by the title given: ‘My dove.' Jehovah Himself their refuge. Learn how your comment data is processed. One should wait for love. BibliographyJamieson, Robert, D.D. The Song of Solomon is a great approach to teaching this message to young women from the perspective of a young woman whose loyal love blesses her marriage. All Rightes Reserved, Larry Pierce, Winterbourne, Ontario.A printed copy of this work can be ordered from: The Baptist Standard Bearer, 1 Iron Oaks Dr, Paris, AR, 72855. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 2:14". The Ethiopic version is, "in the shadow of the rock", to which Christ is compared, Isaiah 32:2; and so the Septuagint version, "in the covering of the rock", which is no other than the shade of it. (St. Gregory; St. Bernard, ser. The first interpretation seems unlikely when one recognizes that the young woman’s beloved is shepherding his flock in contrast from the king. The text depicts, “The king has brought me into his chambers” (Song 1:4). In the holy Scriptures, which defend the Church. III. Through Shrove Tuesday we pass by the door of Ash Wednesday into the Lent of contrition. Solomon wrote the Song of Songs in a theatrical style. This is all according to God’s will. She expresses, “Until the day breaks And the shadows flee away, I will go my way to the mountain of myrrh And to the hill of frankincense” (Song 4:6). BibliographyHaydock, George Leo. Ezekiel 38:20, margin), from root = to go up. One literal interpretation states that this is a discourse between a young woman betrothed and marrying King Solomon. Praise the Lord. Song of Solomon 2:14. (Varro, iii. stairs—(Eze 38:20, Margin), a steep rock, broken into stairs or terraces. This article provides some critical keys and insight to understanding the Song of Songs. in the clefts of the rock. The dove is meek, mournful, simple, sociable, fearful, beautiful, faithful to her mate, fruitful, neat, so is the Church. Believers at present in this world as the Bride when the Bridegroom is taken away from her. He feeds his flock among the lilies.” Again, while the beloved woman is in the presence of the king, Song of Songs 6:2–3 declares, “My beloved has gone to his garden, To the beds of spices, To feed his flock in the gardens, And to gather lilies. Sin may rage, but not reign in them. Because uttered by "the Spirit of grace and supplication," whose very breath prayer is, and without whom prayer is no better than a "sounding brass or tinkling cymbal.". Thirdly, her privilege. "Scofield Reference Notes (1917 Edition)". Oh, my dove! Blow upon my garden, That its spices may flow out. This is where she receives the name Shulamite, “Return, return, O Shulamite; Return, return, that we may look upon you!” The young woman replied, “What shall you see in the Shulamite? My dove; so the church is called, partly for her dove-like temper and disposition, because she is chaste, and mild, and harmless, &c.; and partly for her dove-like condition, because she is weak, and exposed to persecution, and given to mourning, as doves are, Isaiah 38:14 59:11 Ezekiel 7:16, and subject to many fears, and therefore forced to hide herself in rocks, as it follows, in the clefts of the rock; where she hid herself, either. --- Wall. 1871-8. BibliographyBenson, Joseph. Yes, this was written by Solomon, but inspired by Wisdom, which we know from the book of Proverbs, is the Lord. And yet (except it be in the eclipse) astronomers demonstrate that the moon hath at all times as much light as in the full. He bids us see in the eyes of love which look down upon the world from the cross, eyes that are lit up with the very love of God Himself. There is much more here for personal study. Rock. A Restoration of the Ancient Order of Things, Nine Actions that Complete a Husband’s Love for His Wife, Overcoming Sin through Hope of the Resurrection – Seeing God's Breath, How to Overcome and Prevent Sexual Sins – Seeing God's Breath, Follow Seeing God's Breath on WordPress.com, A List of Remarkable Battles of the Bible. And likewise the husband does not have authority over his own body, but the wife does. Observations on True Worship in John 4:21–24, The Greek Words for the Biblical Definition of Worship, Understanding Head-Coverings in 1 Corinthians 11. She expresses, “Until the day breaks And the shadows flee away, I will go my way to the mountain of myrrh And to the hill of frankincense” (Song 4:6). ; for the sing. Song of Solomon Chapter 2 Analysis Verse 1. Cleansed by the blood, and sanctified by the Spirit of Christ (1Jn ; 1Co 6:11). The joyous thanksgivings of redeemed sinners make the Son of God a double heaven. I have washed my feet; How can I defile them? A clear message taught on three different occasions throughout the text is from the mouth of the young woman concerning her conviction and wisdom about love. The REASON of the Call. As many couples can relate to the woman’s dream in Song of Songs 5:2–6. “Of the eight beatitudes, five have an afflicted condition for their subject. Fourthly, the order of approach: she is to come near before she speaks, "Let me see thy countenance," then "Let me hear thy voice." In verse 1, the woman compares herself to a “rose of Sharon” and a “lily of the valley” indicating that she is aware that she stands out to her lover as someone singularly beautiful in the midst of the ordinary (ESV). But see, for "clefts" (a different Hebrew term). And yet once more. de Isaac, c. 4. p. 281. This is all according to God’s will. Are You Church of Christ? Doves often found in the recesses of rocks. There is still some mistry for me. Then the beloved shepherd speaks to the young woman about their love, and the young woman accepts him. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 2:14". Then the beloved shepherd speaks to the young woman about their love, and the young woman accepts him. In the same manner, at the present day, both in the city and in the Beduin Arab. זה after הנּה sharpens it, as the demonst. "Peter Pett's Commentary on the Bible ". ", To report dead links, typos, or html errors or suggestions about making these resources more useful use our convenient, John Gill's Exposition of the Whole Bible, Commentary Critical and Explanatory on the Whole Bible, Keil & Delitzsch Commentary on the Old Testament. 'Antar says similarly, as Shulamith here of the swift-footed schêbûb (D. M. Zeitung, xxii. He wants to see our face and to hear our voice. How wisely we learn this from the order of the Church’s seasons. In Genesis 2:18, the LORD spoke, “It is not good that man should be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” The love between man and woman is by God’s design and by his blessing. BibliographyScofield, C. I. ‘My dove.' Parents, siblings, and young married women need to teach. The village sees that she has returned with her beloved and not the king. Matthew 10:16. And so the only question is as to whether we will leave our safe shelters and go with Him as He pastures His sheep among the mountains, or whether we will turn away from the window and fail to hear His call. Looked at from beneath it would seem as if its peak were inaccessible. What can we understand by the face but faith, since by it we are known of God, and "without it, it is impossible to please God; for he that cometh to God" - that shows his face before the "King, eternal, immortal, invisible," &c., [1 Timothy 1:17] must come in his best - "must believe that he is" - scil., optimus maximus, and more particularly - "that he is a rewarder of all that diligently seek him," [Hebrews 11:6] that seek him out, as the Greek (b) hath it, viz., that fetch him out of his retiring room, as the Syrophenisse, by the force of her faith did, [Mark 7:24-30] and as the spouse here would never give him over till she had recovered him out of the country, and drawn from him this sweetest invitation to go along with him, and incitation to make bold with him. (s) Theatrum Terrae S. p. 171. קמץ, whence Kametz, the drawing together of the mouth, more accurately, of the muscles of the lips), particularly to draw the body together, to prepare it for a spring. He feeds his flock among the lilies.” From this understanding, the Song of Solomon is about a young woman choosing between her beloved shepherd and the King’s charms and proposal. "Commentary on Song of Solomon 2:14". The young woman is loyal and loves unto death (4:6). . A sermon for Lent. "E.W. BibliographyTrapp, John. Sc. The shepherd and the king are in different places. Every man has his sword on his thigh Because of fear in the night. But oftentimes a great part of the bright side is turned to heaven, and a lesser part to the earth. Yet in regard to a believer, the title thee. If in the vision of the cross there is given to us a revelation of the greatness of sin, and then of the greatness of the love of God speaking to the sinner in his sorrow, and giving to him the kiss of reconciliation, there comes to us a revelation of what a sinner’s life should be as lived under this conviction of sin and in this vision of the love of God. Lol. I am of the churches of Christ. The one meaning and united interpretation of the song is young woman’s words of love for her beloved. Harmless. 1905. Hence a repetition of the bridegroom's call. ‘Hephzibah,' the name He gives to His saved people: ‘My delight is in her' (Isa 62:4). Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. 1801-1803. However, these points strongly indicate that the King is not the woman’s beloved. 3. Weep in secret places for the pride and destruction of others. He wants us to walk with Him and share with Him our lives. They were like a silly dove without understanding who looked elsewhere (Hosea 7:11). Men and devils may persecute and persuade, but not prevail against them. To one at least this is a well-known spot. Jesus here calls his beloved by a new name, that of the dove, perhaps from several causes. She dreams of her beloved coming to the door, but she hesitates and yet she goes to the door but her beloved shepherd is gone.