Automatically add future editions to my Bookshelf. For the past 30 years, no kitchen in Greece was considered complete without a cookbook by the country's most loved and respected home cook: Vefa Alexiadou. Much prefer Aglaia Kremezi's roasted potatoes (http://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/392604/roasted-potatoes-with-garlic-lemon). Excellent. Selected as 2009's Best Horizon-Expander cookbook. I have substituted swiss chard for the vine leaves on occasion when vine leaves were not available. Kali Orexi! If you index this book, your free Bookshelf limit will increase by one. 2 hard-boiled eggs, sliced or quartered (optional), Chopped fresh parsley, watercress, or arugula to garnish (optional). The long marinating time didn't add much to the flavor. Maintaining the traditions of authentic Greek cooking, Vefa's Kitchen successfully adapts centuries-old recipes to modern methods and accompanies them with step-by-step explanations. Flavor the dressing with oregano or mustard powder, depending on the occasion. Showcasing taverna favorites such as moussaka, tzatziki and hummus, the book also reveals an extraordinary variety of local desserts and pastries, home-baked breads, and the fish and vegetable dishes of the coastal areas, simply fragranced with lemon and herbs. Covering every aspect of Greek cuisine, chapters include everything from mezedes and soups, to legumes and rice, and of course, the protein stables of Greece fish, shellfish and lamb, as well as cakes and pastries. The batter was pretty wet, but I managed to coat it in flour and get them cooked easily. Your request has been submitted. Get Vefa's recipe for Meat-Stuffed Eggplants here. Every item on this page was hand-picked by a House Beautiful editor. It's great for a crowd - I make it ahead an then heat it in the oven to crisp the phyllo. My Greek husband couldn’t tell the difference! It made a nice change from the more usual melted cheese, while providing a rich, dairy counterbalance to the savory herbs and meat. Highly recommended. Greek Village Salad. Use on any fresh vegetable salad. She also includes information on the history of Greek cuisine, the differences between regional cooking styles, descriptions of common ingredients, and an explanation of the many dishes associated with the Greek religious calendar. Enticing readers with both the beauty of Greece and its food, Vefa's Kitchen is illustrated by 230 gorgeous full-color photographs which easily conjure the aromas and flavors created by Vefa's recipes. This encyclopedic volume by Greece’s leading culinary authority would make a striking addition to any cookbook collection. Combine the tomatoes, cucumber, onion rings, olives, and feta in a large bowl. Are you sure you want to delete this book from your Bookshelf? An easy and tasty one-dish meal – like a casserole, but much more interesting! Okay, like I said in my introductory post, I am not going to be posting Vefa Alexiadou’s recipes on this blog*, but I can tell you a bit about the process of making this fun and delicious entrée.. Vefa’s original recipe is for beef meatballs. ( Log Out /  It was so simple and delicious, like most of the recipes from this book. These were a bit pancake-esque and were very tasty. Cut each tomato into 6 wedges. I don't have a rotisserie so I grilled it over indirect heat which cooked the chicken well. makes 2 cups Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window), Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window), Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window), Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window), are not fully protected by US copyright law. Selected as one of Susie's 10 Best Summer Cookbooks Of 2009. This is just okay (3.5/5). Vefa's Kitchen by Vefa Alexiadou, includes Greek recipes like Mount Pelion Bell Pepper and Onion Pie Piperopita piliou; Lamb Baked with Orzo Arni giouvetsi me kritharaki; Squid with Nettles from Pontus Tsouknidokalamara; and Cuttlefish with Mixed Greens and Rice Soupies me horta ke rizi. The recipe calls for a 16 inch round pan, which I don't have, so I used a 10 x 13 Le Creuset roasting pan. Nice enough to repeat. Measured by weight when possible. We may earn commission on some of the items you choose to buy. I don't know if it was just me (I usually do not mess up) but this was bad in taste, look, and texture for me. I tweaked the recipe slightly by adding 1/2 tsp of fine sea salt to the batter to counteract the natural sweetness of cornmeal. Put the ingredients into a screw-top jar, fasten the lid, and shake vigorously until thoroughly blended. This resulted in a slightly thin pie (a little over an inch), so I'll use a smaller pan next time for a thicker pie. Another dish that requires little effort, and perfect for those enjoying the paleo way of eating. In her book she discusses the historical emphasis on vegetarian food in Greek cuisine (from Pythagoras to modern-day, seasonal Eastern Orthodox restrictions), and notes that beef was, until recently, rarely enjoyed in Greece (at least compared to its popularity in Texas!). This recipe also involves onion slices, which make a lovely bed for the meatballs and yogurt topping as they go into the oven. Sprinkle the salad with a little oregano and pour the oil-vinegar dressing to taste over it. Baked for 50 minutes at 350F convection in 10"x2" pan. This Adult Playroom Has a Fully-Stocked Home Bar, A Jackson Hole Cottage Is the Definition of Fall, This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. And, it tastes even better the next day, so try to resist eating it all or double the recipe to have enough for leftovers. 1. Vefa's Kitchen also features a generous selection of over 300 healthy vegetarian dishes. Although it takes time and an extra pair of hands helps to roll the lamb, this recipe is delicious. If you are looking to make these melomakarona gluten free, I made this recipe using Cup4Cup in a 1:1 substitution for the all purpose flour, and they turned out *great*. The indexer has lister only Parmesan cheese -- the recipe called for "mizithra, kefalotiri, or Parmesan." Black eye beans only needed a few hours soaking and about 30 minutes cooking before becoming tender.Used some tinned tomatoes and tomato paste instead of fresh also had some stock to use up so used that instead of water. Doing so will remove all the Bookmarks you have created for this book. Vefa's Kitchen features over 650 easy-to-follow recipes by the leading culinary authority in Greece. Feb 14, 2015 - Explore Matia Mavra's board "Vefa Alexiadou Recipes", followed by 1823 people on Pinterest. House Beautiful participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. With roots reaching back to the dawn of Western civilization, the strong appeal of traditional Greek food still persists and was voted 'Cuisine of the Year' by Bon Appétit magazine last year. As Vefa points out, "The survival of the ageless characteristics of the cuisine - simple, wholesome ingredients combined and prepared to enhance flavor and aroma - is impressive." Using Vefa’s combination of meat, eggs, breadcrumbs, herbs and spices, I created these delicious Meatballs with Yogurt from Thrace (Παπουδα φρακιωτικη με κεφτεδεσ). Start checking for doneness at the 40 - 45 minute mark. Mount Pelion bell pepper and onion pie (Piperopita piliou), Black-eye pea (black-eye bean) and green pea stew, Mackerel baked with eggplants (aubergines) from Pontus, Christmas honey-dipped cookies (biscuits), Chicken with scallions (spring onions) and fennel, Festive Cuisine: 200 Recipes, to Prepare 19 Festive Menus, Sunny Mediterranean Cuisine: Vegetarian & Seafood Recipes, Click here to add past issues of the magazine to your Bookshelf. Vefa's Kitchen also features a generous selection of over 300 healthy vegetarian dishes. 2 large tomatoes. You can add any other fresh or dried herb you like. Considered by Greeks everywhere as the "Grand-Dame" of Greek cuisine, Vefa's thirteen best-selling cookbooks unveil the secrets of her country's rich culinary history and have sold more than five million copies in over thirty-five countries. For brandy I used Armagnac, and instead of sultanas I used cut-up dried apricots. Browse cookbooks and recipes by Vefa Alexiadou, and save them to your own online collection at EatYourBooks.com • Vefa's Kitchen by Vefa Alexiadou is out now (Phaidon, £24.95). Preparation time: 15 minutes. This is one of my favorites. We have 10 copies of Vefa… 10 Kalamata olives And you have a search engine for ALL your recipes! 2. They were slightly tough in my opinion, but that could be due to my having to re-knead them after an initial rise due to an overly enthusiastic husband and preschooler doing the initial prep. I can't remember a time when a meal was so unappetizing. Two Delicious Recipes from Vefa's Kitchen, Vefa Alexiadou's Recipe for Meat-Stuffed Eggplants, An Entire House Gets a Makeover in Just Two Weeks, The 9 Essentials For Your First Non-Dorm Home. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. ( Log Out /  Pinch of dried oregano or mustard powder (optional). Okay, like I said in my introductory post, I am not going to be posting Vefa Alexiadou’s recipes on this blog*, but I can tell you a bit about the process of making this fun and delicious entrée. All content copyright Stella Cooks © 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012. Vefa’s original recipe is for beef meatballs. With hundreds of simple recipes by Vefa Alexiadou, the authoritative grand dame of Greek cookery, the book also includes information on regional specialities, local ingredients and the religious and historical significance of the dishes, and is illustrated with 230 colour photographs. I'm not sure if brandy is the answer -- it feels like it pulls out the bitter too much. I also substituted tuna for the mackerel, because it's what I had — I would reduce the baking time by about 10-15 minutes if using tuna steaks.