In the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugar until … Also, if the cake was a little dry you may have overmixed slightly or bake a little to long. If you have a problem with dryness consider your cooling method. I think this is an excellent recipe and I have now idea why so many people found this to be dry. Great simple recipe. Hope you like it. I do cream my butter and sugar until it is very light and fluffy and make sure you just mix until everything is combined. Anybody not too enthused about the heaviness of the cake can easily reduce flour to about 2 1/4 cups and beat the butter and sugar for about 20 minutes. Design by Purr. Mix until just incorporated. Baking is such a science and getting the perfect balance of taste and texture is an art. Your email address will not be published. Comparing it to other recipes, I'm thinking I'll cut down 1/4 c. on the butter and add in 1/4 c. canola oil with the milk and trim 5-7 mins on baking. © Copyright 2020 Meredith Corporation. 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (stir, spoon, & level), 1 cup buttermilk (or whole milk), room temperature. on Pinterest. Keep everything from your countertops to your dining room chairs germ-free. « Gingersnap Oreos with Cream Cheese Filling, Arizona Four Seasons Christmas + Homemade Hot Chocolate ». Shame. Prep time is approximately 10 minutes … Beat in the egg yolks one … Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until very thick. Without a doubt, this cake is moist, dense, and decadently sweet, all in its own; however, when you frost it with a much less-sweet, chocolate Swiss meringue buttercream (using very dark - 85% cacao organic bars - or the like), the combonation is a PERFECT balance! thanks! It came out very dry and very dense. Can't think what could have happened. Martha Stewart is part of the Meredith Home Group. I frosted this with chocolate frosting and it is delicious. Hi Martha! Run knife around edge of cake pan and flip over. Divide batter evenly between prepared pans. 18 Fall Centerpieces That Will Elevate Your Table, The Perfect Thanksgiving Dinner Menu for Your Smaller Celebration, Quick, Easy, and Delicious Pasta Recipes Ideal for Weeknight Dinners, 16 of Our Best Fall Harvest Decorating Ideas for Your Home, The Best Front Porch Decorating Ideas for Every Month of the Year, How to Disinfect Your Kitchen and Your Food During the Coronavirus Outbreak, According to Experts, Your Guide to the Most Popular Fall Perennials, How to Wash Your Hands Properly, According to a Doctor, How to Plan a Beautiful, Meaningful Micro Wedding So That You Can Celebrate Your Postponed Nuptials Right Now, Six Ways to Take Care of Your Mental Health While You Work from Home. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat butter and white sugar until fluffy and light in color. In a separate bowl beat cheese until fluffy. Frost with. ©2020 Home. Watching foodnetwork and other baking shows I know they say if you over mix the batter it can make the cake dry along with over cooking it so that could be a problem? Red Velvet Bundt Cake with Cream Cheese Filling. So, I cut the sugar. Divide batter between the prepared pans, and smooth with an offset spatula. If you follow the recipe as written, I don't know how you could get anything other than a yellow cake to rival any that my grandmother used to make. Also, the editor's note at the top of recipe is puzzling: it suggests increasing the salt to 1 tsp if using 8" pans vs. 1/2 tsp for 9" pans -- doesn't seem logical. i also substituted vanilla soymilk for regular milk, just because that's what i had on hand. YELLOW BUTTER CAKE RECIPE If the cake layers are thin, they will cook for less time than the thicker layers. I know that a lot of the reviewers say that their cakes were dry, but mine turned out moist and very, very good. It goes perfectly with every frosting from cream cheese, to vanilla, to my personal favorite, CHOCOLATE! The yolks of my eggs are on the pale side so that likely impacts the colour of the resulting cake. Add milk a little at a time and blend well. Let cakes cool. My recipe actually uses mostly butter, with a little oil to help with moisture while keeping the buttery flavor we all love about yellow cupcakes. I made the cake this past weekend and everyone loved it. Note: We are not nutritionists. Then try our go-to menu. To make an 8-inch layer cake, as featured on"Martha Bakes," use 1 teaspoon salt and finish with Mrs. Milman's Chocolate Frosting.Adapted from"Martha Stewart's Baking Handbook.". This recipe was a huge disappointment. I don't know how these cupcakes will make it to my son's Birthday party without being eaten. Martha uses a bowl sifter - a terrific idea for a person with awful arthritis. The cake came out nice. Add powdered sugar and beat until lumps are gone. Also, if you live at high altitudes, you'll probably need to make some adjustments in the ingredients, because my cakes sunk slightly in the middle. With ice cream piled on it was better. Learn how your comment data is processed. Add the 1/2 of the egg milk mixture and beat the batter is light and fluffy. Baking time will vary depending on pan. Required fields are marked *. I followed the recipe, making my own cake flour, and I made sure not to over mix. People always compliment me on it and ask for the recipe. A homemade cupcake deserves a delicious homemade frosting. It's light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add eggs one at a time mixing in each one well before adding the next. The Perfect Homemade Yellow Butter Cake. I just took the cake out; it took 30-35 min to bake. https://www.modernhoney.com/privacy-policy/, Kauai Travel Guide for Best Things to Do and Eat, Best Places to Eat and See in New York City, California Pacific Coast Highway 1 Road Trip Guide, Best Places to Eat in Orange County California, How to plan the perfect trip to Magnolia Market in Waco Texas, *This recipe can make a two layer cake or a three layer cake. Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes before removing from the cake pans and letting them cool complete on a wire rack. I freaked out when I read the negative reviews because I was gonna bake this for my friends bday. 96.8 g It's guaranteed to please a crowd. Martha has always been my go to girl, but I will probably use a different recipe next time. All opinions shared are my own. I love this recipe. By clicking “Accept”, you consent to the use of ALL the cookies. Well, the cake was moist and very delicious. Your information will *never* be shared or sold to a 3rd party. This is the kind of classic, all-American layer cake that birthday memories are made of. It’s easy to make these yellow cupcakes from scratch with everyday ingredients like milk, flour, sugar, and eggs. It should have the texture and consistency of thick pudding. Add remaining egg milk mixture and mix just until combined. I used 1 C milk and 1/4 C buttermilk, watch closely - do not overbake! While continuing to mix add ⅓ of the flour, then ⅓ of the milk, and ⅓ of the sour cream, mixing in each component before adding the next. Cool completely. With the mixer on low speed, add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the milk and beginning and ending with the flour; beat until combined after each addition. Don't skimp on the quality of the eggs. Our fall-focused indoor and outdoor decorating ideas are guaranteed ways to make the perfect first impression when family and friends come calling on Thanksgiving—or any day during the season. There was an error submitting your subscription. Powered by WordPress. You can review my full disclosure policy here. FREE!!! From which platforms to use and the best books to read, bibliophiles share their advice. I just cut off the tops to level them anyway, but I just wanted perfection, and this cake didn't give me that. As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases. Also make sure not to overcook. I can't say it was extremely moist, but 3 days later (of sitting on the counter on a covered cake stand) the cake is still reasonably moist. I am really suprised there are so many bad reviews. Keep them coming. I guess it's all up to your preference. This cake batter is best for a 2 layer 9-inch cake. Cream together on medium high speed using the paddle attachment until it becomes light and fluffy. When you need a comforting meal but don't have a lot of time, whip up one of these fast pasta recipes.