He drinks amazing aged rums and high quality scotches. You may even consume aged rum versions neat, while lesser aged rums are excellent for cocktails, tiki, and classics. If it’s cloudy, it’s no good. Light rum that is otherwise also known as silver rum is often the ideal choice for any cocktail lover, as it is very similar to vodka in taste. What the heck is gin made from? The former may strongly smell of vanilla whereas the latter is more accentuated on spices and burnt caramel. Is alcohol the first thing you taste? Delish participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Most Rum is made of molasses. 1 decade ago. If you happen to find yourself with a disappointing bottle of rum — or any other liquor, for that matter! If you don't drink, why do you care what it tastes like? And that’s when inspiration struck. The majority of rum is bottled at 40 percent alcohol by volume (80 proof). Rum drinks range from hot to cold, easy to complicated. Some of the big brands make really, really shitty tasting rum, once you have tried the premiums. While you really need to love the taste of rum to mix it with plain soda, it’s a perfect Highball for experienced rum drinkers who want the spirit to shine. While cachaça was once only available in South America, it's enjoying worldwide fame today. That alone sounds too good to be true. © 2020 EatDelightsLLC. The distilled spirit stored in barrels promotes aging, which helps it to acquire the sweet and toasted sugary flavor, which is a trademark for rum’s taste. If you were to taste it, it would go down hard, but it would have a somehow pleasant taste to it. Likewise, other rums also have their share and blend well with darker cocktails. Each of these will give the individual rum various and distinct characteristics. There are also origin-specific styles like cachaça and rhum agricole available. Next, give it a taste. rum is made from cane sugar, so it is pretty sweet and smooth. Even with a bunch of olives and onions, no like it. There are some rum-based products on the market like Malibu rum, which is a coconut rum, that don’t last that long. Many of these rums make a smooth sipper and can be used in place of light rum in some darker cocktails. Since bottling my infusion, I’ve done just that several times. We always have a lot of rum in the house as hubby is quite the rum guy. Many of the early Caribbean rums were produced with molasses and "skimmings" from the production of sugar. Other cheap ones taste like vanilla. 1 decade ago. Because let’s face it: a $6 bottle of rum tastes pretty much like a $6 bottle of rum, and that’s nothing I’m excited to have in my cocktail at the end of the day. You may have questions regarding ways of consuming rum, which is very unlikely a simple choice. The sugar may be either pure cane sugar, a syrup, or molasses. Rhum agricole must be produced in the French territories, most commonly the island of Martinique, and it is governed by an AOC (appellation d’origine controlle), similar to Cognac. It's also common to find them mixed along with a light rum in many tiki cocktails such as the popular hurricane. Gold rums are often aged in oak casks, which also contribute to their dark, smooth characteristics. I combined one split vanilla bean, five charred oak cubes (those things are strong! The first thing to look for when tasting a new rum is what it looks like! You may have a bottle of rum sitting in your kitchen cabinet waiting for its next usage, but do you know how to use it? That other stuff? The rums produced in tropical climates will generally be aged for a shorter period of time than those in cooler climates.