The women would carefully watch the haka of the men to check all were in unison, the leaps in the air, landing together as one, the hands operating as one, the way they held their weapons, the taiaha, the tewhatewha weapon, all those kinds of things. ", Kerehitiana Matua-Kora, explained that even as a six-year-old she knew swinging poi wasn't for her. Translation. I know on the surface it doesn't seem that good but I think in the end good may outweigh the negatives in this instance, and the fact the haka has worldwide recognition is great. "It's really difficult for me because I really want to stand as a tane and that’s just me.". Source: Marae. Women doing the haka for a good cause is okay - but not half naked, say Te Arawa kapa haka experts. The haka is a ceremonial dance or challenge in Māori culture. "Any money raised for breast cancer is great but you have still have to do things with integrity. I think there is too much focus on the haka by the media and some people play up to that." "I started to see my girl turn into a boy and she started to have her own thoughts, even though I had taught her, hey keep doing the poi, keep doing the poi. In a moving story on TVNZ’s Marae this morning, Kerehitiana Matua-Kora, explained that even as a six-year-old she knew swinging poi wasn't for her. When the young men were being prepared for war, the chiefs and the priests would line them up in groups – the war party on the marae. "I accept the kaupapa [purpose] but it wouldn't be acceptable in New Zealand.

The twins' father Hammond Matua recognises the difficulties the situation presents.

So of course to us it is a sacred thing. "When men perform as ladies it's pretty difficult because then you can't have a female performing as a tane.". Our women frequently accompanied their men into battle and some, famously so. Kerehitiana, with her twin sister Terehia beside her, performed last week for Te Toka Tū Manawa, a group competing in a regional competition in Tāmaki Makaurau. What you need to know straight to your inbox, You're all set to receive the Morning Briefing, 'Stuff those guys' - Eugene Bareman unloads on David Higgins, Joseph Parker's team in fiery rant, 'Robbery, but it's legal' - Immigrants feel scammed after visas weren't processed, no refunds given, Public warned after 'dangerous' man escapes police custody in Hamilton, AstraZeneca claims its Covid-19 vaccine 'highly effective' after late stage trials, Three new infrastructure projects to be fast-tracked by Government, Man dies in light aircraft crash near Upper Hutt, Jacinda Ardern congratulates US President-elect Joe Biden, invites him to NZ, Two new Covid-19 cases in managed isolation today, none in the community. But as a support role behind them. Matene Waetford – an example of inequality, Matene Waetford – marching through Kaikohe, The derivation of the haka Ka Eke i te Wiwī, The role of women in the traditional use of the haka Ka Eke i te Wiwī, Traditional rituals – te tohi o ngā karaka whati. However Mr Mitai-Ngatai said the situation needed to be put in context. There are female haka and these have been around a long time even if they are not often performed in public. Taipari Munro recounts the traditional role women played when the ope taua performed Ka Eke i te Wiwī to the haukāinga in preparation for battle. If the women decided to join the haka, they would come out and stand in front of the war party and perform a return haka with their taiaha, their patu, all those kinds of weapons, and this was a good sign. A female kapa haka performer is challenging gender roles at competitions – and says eventually she wants to haka as a man. "To me it's why do boys get to perform as ladies and then there's no tikanga about women being a tane? Haka … Row erupts as council workshops boycotted, Pathologist describes injuries in baby murder trial, Zorb rides swapped for cans at annual locals day, Māori seats favoured in Taupō but questions over timing, Two new Covid cases at border; probe into possible infection of Air NZ staffer in China, Here comes the rain: Flooding 'possible' later this week. How did men enlist, and what were they like when they returned? When the young men were being prepared for war, the chiefs and the priests would line them up in groups – the war party on the marae. It's a position Terehia says her twin shouldn't have to be in, given allowances are made for men who want to perform as women. It is performed by a group, with vigorous movements and stamping of the feet with rhythmically shouted accompaniment. We [women] have had to go through a huge process to do the haka nowadays," Ms Morrison said. "My advice would be that she should seek some advice from her own kaumātua, from her own whānau. Last year a group of Italian actresses created a stink when they performed a haka for a Fiat TV advertisement. This group doing that tramples on the mana of our tikanga [custom]." "It was done like that in early times but with colonisation and other changes that's not the case now. "This is not a Maori kaupapa and it's not appropriate. "I think we would have to find alternative ways to do it locally, it wouldn't be okay here." They are reacting to a women's rugby team in England performing a bare-chested haka to promote the team's 2007 calendar. Reflecting the difficulties around the issue, a commentator from champion group Te Waka Huia, Tiria Waitai said it was an issue she was firmly sitting on the fence on. "However, the moment you put yourself in the men's line and become an actual man, that’s something that’s never ever been tested," Mr Matua said. Although commonly associated with the traditional battle preparations of male warriors, haka have long been performed by both men and women, and several varieties of the haka fulfill social functions within Māori culture.

Mr Maxwell said the advertisement was in poor taste but commended the actresses on their performance of Ka Mate.

"I think it is for a great cause, any efforts to raise money for cancer is awesome. The Tūhoe-Te Arawa identifies as trans. Haka have different dimensions: performance, making a statement, telling a story, taking a stand, asserting something important so, for Māori, they are a key component of our expressive culture. That is why the women used to watch the men so carefully when they were performing this haka. But if the women didn’t come out and perform a haka in reply, then the priests and elders knew they had seen a bad sign, and the war party would not go off to war. You don't have to take your clothes off."