That way it will be easier to find each category quickly as you scan through the list of ingredients. I made this and it was absolutely delicious. You'll get my famous, healthy comfort food makeover recipes plus breakfasts, snacks & even desserts you'll crave. Top with remaining mozzarella. In this space, we are committed to the pursuit of wellness and determined to stay balanced and real. I just reheat my serving in the microwave. It will now be my go to recipe for lasagne! Bake until lasagna is bubbling and cheese is melty, about 35 minutes. This ingredient shopping module is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page. I used regular no-bake noodles (365 brand) and I didn’t have any fennel. One of my all time fav dinner recipes! Top with a third layer of noodles and the remaining marinara. Glad you loved this one <3. A 15 minute prep time is way to short, and I didn’t even have to do anything with the noodles. I can remember the warm butternut squash sauce between noodles and tons of mozzarella. Everyone’s mixing + chopping speeds can vary, but I include the sauce-cooking within the “cook” time . Lasagna is definitely a guilty pleasure of mine so I love the idea of this healthy version! So happy you tried this one! You can also buy the whole wheat lasagna noodles online here. With the food processor motor running, drop garlic through the feed tube and process until minced. Perfect dinner for the whole family . Monique, you deserve serious props for this recipe. I assume you can swap cottage cheese for the ricotta? Here’s an example of crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and tomato paste they all have different consistencies. Thank you for this incredible recipe! Absolute hit with the entire family! My only complaint was it took 2 hours from start to finish – and that’s not counting getting the ingredients together/prepping the onion, etc. Repeat layers once more: remaining noodles, ricotta, basil, 1/3 of the mozzarella slices, any remaining meat sauce and 1/4 cup parmesan. Stir in crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, water and pure maple syrup. Made this over the weekend and it was delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Truly. Great recipe. I did not have fresh basil but I had homemade pesto in the freezer so I mixed some of that with the ricotta and also diced kale. This content is created and maintained by a third party, and imported onto this page to help users provide their email addresses. I loved the recipe SO much that instead of sharing the leftovers with any of my roommates, I cut the lasagna up into individual servings, ate it for lunch and dinner for 4 days straight, then froze the remaining slices so that I could enjoy it again the following week. So happy you used this one You’ll have to have your husband give it a try, too! This recipe is part of my best of series, where I test and improve recipes to make them the ‘best ever’. Required fields are marked *. Hope you get a chance to try this , Yes! This will be a new staple! Add oil to a large pot or dutch oven and place over medium high heat. What’s the sodium content? 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 medium-fat meat. I’m so happy that you enjoyed this one So good! Delish editors handpick every product we feature. Let it come to room temperature while you preheat the oven. There are two methods to freezing lasagna: Personally I like to cook mine first, then freeze in individual portions, so I can take it out for meals or for lunch as needed. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat oil. Heat the olive oil in a large (10 to 12-inch) skillet. I’d suggest looking up the sodium content in the brands of turkey, sauce, etc. It also freezes really well so I often freeze individual portions for a quick weeknight meal. 371 calories; protein 28.4g 57% DV; carbohydrates 32.1g 10% DV; dietary fiber 5.4g 21% DV; sugars 7.1g; fat 15.2g 23% DV; saturated fat 6.8g 34% DV; cholesterol 81.1mg 27% DV; vitamin a iu 2220.7IU 44% DV; vitamin c 4.1mg 7% DV; folate 46.4mcg 12% DV; calcium 401.1mg 40% DV; iron 3mg 17% DV; magnesium 71.9mg 26% DV; potassium 687.5mg 19% DV; sodium 719.7mg 29% DV; thiamin 0.2mg 20% DV. This and your juicy turkey meatballs are my faves!!!! Remove foil and bake another 20 minutes. Continue with another layer of noodles, the remaining ricotta, the remaining meat mixture, half the remaining marinara and half the remaining shredded cheese. While the lasagna noodles are boiling, make the ricotta mixture: In a medium bowl, mix together the ricotta, egg, basil and salt and pepper. Anyway, I liked the idea of your healthier lasagna so I made it and my family loved it (yes I shared it with the family even though I loved your idea of eating lasagna for 4 days in a row). Add a layer of cooked noodles, overlapping them slightly. I made this today with a few alterations because I did not want to go to the store (and had enough cheese for half) so it ended up being a small one 5×9 or whatever size the small rectangle is. I love the use of basil and fresh mozzarella! And I froze half for future indulgence. I didn’t have the fennel seeds but the flavor was still amazing. I have some in my freezer still waiting for me. https://www.cookincanuck.com/best-low-fat-turkey-lasagna-recipe Thanks! I’ve made it twice in 2 weeks and it was requested as a birthday dinner. Here's why we should all lean in harder and embrace our comfort-food cravings. Plus finding homemade lasagna in the freezer for dinner is the best . Next, add 1 1/2 cups of the meat sauce on top of the mozzarella and sprinkle with 1/4 cup of parmesan cheese. Yum! Le, I’m back with another cookie... WHITE CHOCOLATE, https://www.ambitiouskitchen.com/healthy-low-carb-zucchini-lasagna-spicy-turkey-meat-sauce/. Lean ground turkey: I’m a HUGE fan of ground turkey. If I make this the night before would i still soften the noodles? I add sausage sometimes which is elevated by the fennel already in the recipe. Love this as an easy freezer meal , Made this for the first time and oh my goodness it is so easy to put together and SO delicious!! This is my go recipe for lasagna! And this + garlic bread YUM. Your neighborhood healthy comfort makeover lady coming in with a juicy new recipe for you that’s perfect for when you want to impress your family, make your love swoon, comfort a friend or just make cause you freaking love Italian food. They were available at my local grocery store, but just in case they aren’t at yours, know that you can use regular OR gluten free lasagna noodles. We welcome you to our Ambitious Kitchen. Garnish with 1/4 cup parmesan and extra basil. Worth the prep time. Sorry to hear you had trouble! Our only little tweak is during assembly. This recipe makes quite a bit more sauce than the lasagna can hold, so we use only 1 &1/2 cups of sauce for the top layer, too, instead of “any remaining sauce”. Thank you Monique for your account and all that you put into it! Tried and true best lasagna ever . I have never liked lasagna…..that is until NOW! In Step 7, bake the lasagna, covered, for 1 hour before removing foil and topping with cheese. The BEST turkey lasagna EVER. omg you’ve made me crave lasagna now, I used to have it so often when I lived at home! Thank you for sharing! After my husband had a heart attack we started eating low fat and low sodium diet. And great suggestion – we’re actually going through a re-design as we speak, so it will be more clear soon! My 7 1/2 yr-old son lead the charge on making this dish and it was a roaring success! I make this recipe quite frequently without issue. Take a peek in the post above for how to freeze it . This USC making my mouth water…..can’t wait to give it a go! Absolutely delicious! Homemade pesto sounds delicious with the ricotta! Enter: this beautifully cheesy ground turkey recipe. My husband is the lasagna & spaghetti sauce maker of the family. I never made lasagna before. The fresh herbs and the secret ingredient, the nutmeg, really make it different. Cool for 15-20 minutes before serving. Add the onion and cook for 5 minutes over medium-low heat, until translucent. Minor layout suggestion: could you please separate the ingredient categories better? Reduce heat to medium and add the vegetable mixture, Italian seasoning, fennel seeds, pepper and salt. Perfect! We may earn commission from the links on this page. My husband wished there was more meat and mozzarella (unavoidable for a light recipe) but didn’t mind that it was turkey instead of beef or that it was whole grain pasta. But he wasn’t here for this girls trip so the dish was left to me. I would love your input! Drain and lay noodles on prepared baking sheet. She’s a beauty, isn’t she? Preheat oven to 375°. Get my BEST tips to add more veggies into your diet in this FREE email series. Remind me to never start a blog post with that intro again. It was so yummy…the whole family loved it , even my 2 year old! This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Amazing!! Add ¾ tsp of salt, … Add tomatoes and basil. The picky eaters in your family will never guess that … It is seriously the best lasagna we have tasted. Usually, my lasagna’s don’t taste that good until the next day, but this one was delicious straight out of the oven and just as good after a night in the fridge. and just cover it with foil overnight in the refrigerator? Let me know which recipe you’d like me to make next! Back during my college years I had asked my mom to make me a spinach and butternut squash lasagna for my birthday meal; it is still one of my favorite meals of all time. I use tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes and tomato paste to thicken. Spread half the marinara in the prepared baking dish. Nutrition #ambitiousthanksgiving content starts NO, ready for another very #AmbitiousThanksgiving?! x. In the bottom of a large baking dish, spoon a thin layer of sauce. It melds right into the flavors of the lasagna that way:) Loving your tips on lightened up classics! We save any extra sauce in the fridge for a few days to use over ziti or shell pasta for an additional excellent meal. Have you tried making it the night prior and refrigerating overnight and baking the next day before serving? Thank you so much for the time you put into it! Heat a Dutch oven or large skillet over medium heat; cook and stir turkey sausage, ground turkey, … I would love to make this, just confused about the difference between crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste? Thank you so much for this amazing recipe! Another thing I absolutely love about this meal is that the lasagna is freezer friendly! Maybe next time it will taste even better with the fennel (I honestly can’t imagine it can get any better!)