Set up a steamer with water in the pot, and bring to boil (and turn off and … I learned about your blog searching for a recipe for a dish I learned about on that show. This also prevents the stainless steel from getting too hot on the bottom. Here’s the dimension: W15 cm x D13.5 cm x H4.5 cm (W6″ x D5.25 x H1.75″). Heat vegetable oil in a large, deep saucepan over medium heat. Transfer to a serving plate/bowl. Thank you. Please keep us posted! Egg tofu is available in most Asian markets or grocery stores. . (or a square/rectangular container, or individual such as chawanmushi cups) You can buy on Amazon (finally they have one!) Cut the crispy tofu katsu into slices and serve it over rice and napa cabbage with the sauce. Gather all the ingredients. Awesome! As you reply to my question last week you right the tofu color depend on the egg yolk color light or orangery. On a plate, place the sliced carrot on the bottom. Yes you can use the egg tofu. To avoid this unpleasant texture in tofu from happening, you have to make sure the pot is not too hot. • 1/2 bowl water There is an equivalent Chinese dish of steamed egg that is similar. As my bamboo steamer didn’t have enough height for my egg tofu ramekin to go inside, I used a 5 1/2 QT Le Creuset Dutch oven and a 8 5/8″ round cooling rack as a steamer. Dip fried tofu into dipping sauce. I can’t wait to watch Season 2. This post may contain affiliate links. I'm Anna, a food writer who documents kitchen experiments on GarlicDelight.com with the help of my physicist and taste-testing husband, Alex. This also prevents overheating the bottom of Nagashikan from the heat beneath. You may want to try it a few times to determine whether you like it before making it at home. Cook tamago tofu a second time it not as good as 1st time because I steam it a bit too long because after 20 mins the tofu is not set completely. Hi Margaret! It is steamed, chilled, then served with savory dashi broth. Recipe by Namiko Chen of Just One Cookbook. Amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and specific type of oil used. Born and raised in China, I love experimenting both creative and authentic Asian recipes. Once it’s done, take out from the steamer immediately and let cool on the counter top and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. OMG! For information about our privacy practices, please visit our website. I had never tried tamago dofu on top of rice, so it was fun for me to try! Slice or cube the tofu according to how you want to serve it. Heat vegetable oil in a pan, add tofu and fry until each side becomes golden. Store raw egg tofu in a container with water and use it within 2 days. Design by, kosher/sea salt (I use Diamond Crystal; Use half for table salt). Usukuchi soy sauce is more commonly used in western Japan, such as Osaka. Let’s start cooking, shall we? xo. From the description, it’s not clear that it’s made of soybean or not. I really work hard to create my site, taking each pictures, and I do not want Google to relate my images with this site. Step 6: Once it’s done, take out from the steamer immediately and let cool on the counter top and chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours. Egg tofu is almost always chilled (or at least cool). HI …for this egg tofu the total cook time is stated as 2hours 35min. I assume it’s similar? This humble dish really surprised us. Regular koikuchi soy sauce is also more common and available to purchase everywhere. I heard about this show for a long time and finally watched it. And it’s jam-packed with protein. Japanese Ingredient Substitution: If you want to look for substitutes for Japanese condiments and ingredients, click here. Info. Cooked egg tofu can last up to 3 days if refrigerated. I can’t let my copyrighted images taken away from my site, not just one or two, but A LOT OF THEM. Your email address will not be published. Kimchi Nabe is a hot pot dish popular in winter in Japan. • 1/2 teaspoon salt In Episode 5 of ‘Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories” Season 1, the egg tofu is served on the steamed rice. Egg tofu is highly prized because of its rich flavor thanks to the eggs, it needs less preparation than brick tofu (no pressing required), and it is sturdier than silken tofu. I’ve even seen this tube-shaped egg tofu sold in a Thai grocery store. Sign up for the free Just One Cookbook newsletter delivered to your inbox! There is Japanese-style egg tofu that is different from this tube-shaped tofu made with eggs. What is egg tofu? Just a question, is it necessary to eat it right away? • 2 green onion, chopped Even though “steaming” is a fairly simple cooking method, when you cook egg tofu, you can’t just put the food in the steamer, cover and wait till it’s done. I really love traditional soy milk tofu, but this one seems delicious too. I’ve never tried eating egg tofu over rice, so I attempted after watching this episode. Meanwhile, cook the rice, chop the napa cabbage and stir together all the ingredients for the sauce. Thank you. If I can make small versions of this I can add them to my bento box! Even beginners can pull it off within 20 minutes. is a how-to demonstration video for this nice dish in our future? If you’re OK with a different mouthfeel in mapo tofu, then I would consider using egg tofu. I’ll be covering all the recipes in Season 1. Hi Margaret! The Japanese-style tofu is steamed egg that does not have soy in it but it is called “tofu” because it resembles the shape and texture of silken tofu when it is served. The dashi poured over the egg tofu is really delicious, so you will enjoy this dish either way. I really liked episode 9, the hamakatsu episode. Use of this website is subject to mandatory arbitration and other terms and conditions, select. When I saw this on 3 Hungry Tummies, it looked so so delicious. I got one from the site that I put in my Recipe Notes. Or you can eat it with a spoon. Powered by the ESHA Research Database © 2018, ESHA Research, Inc. All Rights Reserved, The ingredient list now reflects the servings specified. Instead of pure white as shown in your website. 4. Easy and savory steamed egg tofu that takes only 15 minutes. (As my bamboo steamer didn't have enough height for my egg tofu ramekin to go inside, I used a 5 1/2 QT Le Creuset Dutch oven and a 8 5/8" round cooling rack as a steamer.). The popular Japanese TV program called Shinya Shokudo (深夜食堂) or ’Midnight Diner: Tokyo Stories (Season 1)‘ is now available on Netflix. I am assuming that you didn’t mean any harm, but this hurts my website’s SEO. • 1 teaspoon light soy sauce Congrats! Hi Jessica! Hi Thyna! After trying this recipe a few more times, I also figured out a new trick. As I grew up in Yokohama (near Tokyo), I’m used to using dark-colored broth in my udon noodle soup made with regular soy sauce. Soft, silken, creamy Egg Tofu made with eggs and dashi. It looks very much like chawan mushi.The ingredients are all d same except that it is chilled.Chawan mushi must be eaten hot so that it’s soft n silky.Here for egg tofu you said got to chill 1st. this looks tasty, i’ll have to try it soon! Hi Maexei! That’s why mine tofu don’t turn out as white as yours However my grandchildren love it. Close the lid wrapped with a large kitchen towel; otherwise, the condensation built on the lid will drop onto your Tamago Tofu and ruin it. If there are no dotted lines on your plastic tube, cut along the shortest side of the tube.