Tradition has it that Miriam was the leader of the Israelite women, while Moses and Aaron were the leaders of the men. I have issued a standing challenge for all my readers… The Women in the Scripture Challenge… are you super brave and daring enough to take the challenge? . Miriam rebelled not only against Moses' authority but also God's. The next time we meet Miriam she was among the children of Israel as they left Egypt and fled the pursuit of the Egyptian chariots.   Book of Mormon, Study Guides Her name in Hebrew means "bitterness." The words of Miriam's song are among the oldest poetic lines of verse in the Bible: Later, Miriam's position as a prophet went to her head. The Book of Jasher also gives more insight into what may have happened between Miriam and Pharaoh’s Daughter. Your email address will not be published. Miriam’s presence “among the Egyptian women” at the river, and her bold conversation with Pharaoh’s daughter make me suspect that she may have been among the Hebrew slaves employed in and around the Pharaoh’s household. Your entire blog is, honestly, a reminder that I need to be more diligent in my scripture study. Although her jealously later in life led to disaster, Miriam's quick wit as a young girl helped change the course of Israel's history by protecting its greatest spiritual leader. Today’s reading is Numbers 10-12, and today’s post is on Numbers 12:1-15.]. Prophet, leader of the Hebrew people, songwriter. What we deem “constructive criticism” may result in our destruction. The whole nation then waits for her for seven days as prescribed by Jewish law. When they could no longer keep Moses hidden and they “took for him an ark of bulrushes, and daubed it with slime and with pitch, and put the child therin” (Exodus 2:3) and then Jochebed put the ark in the reeds by the river’s edge. When her mother Jochebed had a baby, Moses, they hid the baby for three months from the Egyptian guards. For the king had ordered to throw all Hebrew baby boys into the river (Exodus 1:22—2:4). What ate at Miriam was that others did not perceive her as being as important as Moses was. Ex. And all the Egyptians went down to bathe in the river, on account of the consuming heat which burned up their flesh. It is amazing to me that, if the Book of Jasher is correct, Miriam seems to have possessed the gift of prophecy from a very young age. Peter DeHaan writes about biblical spirituality, often with a postmodern slant. Wow! Moses' sister, Miriam, accompanied her younger brother when he led the Hebrew people in their escape from slavery in Egypt. Her nimble mind and protective nature quickly devised a brilliant plan that made it possible for Moses to be raised by his own mother, Jochebed. Mariam watches at a distance to see what happens. You're incredible! I sent Moses to lead you, also Aaron and Miriam. This is the only time the Bible mentions this wife. By small and simple things great things are really brought to pass. I am a scripture loving, book writing, baby snuggling, garden growing, faith-centered disciple, wife, mother, daughter, and sister. So Amram took Jochebed his wife, three years after he had driven her away, and he came to her and she conceived.” (Chapter 68:1-3). Next we see Miriam in Numbers 12 when she and her brother Aaron “spake against Moses” because he had married and Ethiopian woman. “And God sent forth at that time a terrible heat in the land of Egypt, which burned up the flesh of man like the sun in his circuit, and it greatly oppressed the Egyptians. We might make a chart that looks like this: An organization that women are still participating, leading, and prophesying in today! Miriam had a strong personality in an age when women were not considered leaders. When the pharaoh’s daughter finds him, Miriam pops up and offers to find a woman to nurse him; she picks her mom.   Old Testament God doesn't need our advice. Unfortunately, what we know most about Miriam is when she and Aaron oppose Moses over his choice for a wife and out of jealousy. Paul Talks about Resurrection from the Dead, Love God and Love Others: A Call to Christian Unity, Reflecting on Church #30: The Bait and Switch, Martin Luther Supported the Sacrament of Penance. Required fields are marked *. In fact, Miriam’s leadership position among the congregation was so solid that the prophet Micah,  in reminding his people about their deliverance from Egypt, listed Moses, Aaron, Miriam’s inclusion in the this list is fascinating to me. As an adult, Miriam is a prophet and worship leader of sorts, leading the women in song and dance to celebrate God’s rescue when they crossed the sea to escape the Egyptians. Post was not sent - check your email addresses! And Bathia, the daughter of Pharaoh, went also to bathe in the river, owing to the consuming heat, and her maidens walked at the river side, and all the women of Egypt as well. It is also especially fascinating to remember that all three of them– Moses, Aaron and Miriam– were Levites, the tribe given the responsibility to hold the priesthood and administer the ordinances of the Tabernacle. Heritage Images / Contributor / Getty Images. Your words are always so thought-provoking. I have been quietly following your blog for years and you have brought so many beautiful things to me, I have always really enjoyed your perspective and insight. They are not “token”  or  “fluff” roles to keep the women busy while the men do their priesthood responsibilities, they are positions of real spiritual power and authority. It was because of her righteousness that Moses was born, and thus that Israel was delivered. In addition Miriam, who is called  “the prophetess”, took a timbrel and all the women of Israel , “went out after her with timbrels and with dances.” (Exodus 15:20). Unfortunately, what we know most about Miriam is when she and Aaron oppose Moses over his choice for a wife and out of jealousy. Eventually, the daughter of Pharaoh came to wash herself in the river and found baby Moses in the reeds. I have issued a standing challenge for all my readers… The Women in the Scripture Challenge… are you super brave and daring enough to take the challenge. Miriam’s inclusion in the this list is fascinating to me. Yet, Miriam’s leadership role is a bit more ambiguous. Read more in his books, blog, and weekly email updates. I love visiting this blog. Though Mariam started well as a brave and obedient daughter and later as a prophet and worship leader, she let judgment and jealousy define her later life. Do you stop to consider the motives of your own heart before critiquing someone else? Also, later in Miriam’s life she would be called “the prophetess” a title indicating that she was possessed with the gift of prophecy. At the time Moses is born, there’s a degree to kill all baby boys. 12 Most Inspiring Leadership Lessons from Bible Characters The Bible has been around for thousands of years. Perhaps Miriam felt threatened by Moses’ new wife in her role as the leader of Israel’s women (Eugene Merrill, The Bible Knowledge Commentary [Victor Books], ed. After they miraculously passed through the Red Sea on dry ground, and the ” the Lord overthrew the Egyptians in the midst of the sea” (Exodus 14:27), the children of Israel celebrated and praised God through singing and dancing. Women have the same ability to prophesy, lead, teach, bless, heal, and work miracles as men. by John Walvoord and Roy Zuck, 1:228). She led them singing, “Sing ye to the Lord, for he hath triumphed gloriously; the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.”. 2:4–8; 15:20–21Num. This is beautiful. I think you are a prophetess in your own right. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Miriam was born in Egypt during the time that the Hebrews were enslaved by the Egyptians and the Egyptians, fearful or the Hebrew’s numbers, were systematically killing all newborn Hebrew boys. Check out my books and blog posts, with the goal to change the world one word at a time. After the Israelites had wandered in the desert 40 years, Miriam died and was buried at Kadesh, in the Desert of Zin. I also have the birth book which really helped me work through a lot of thoughts and feelings as I was preparing . I had never considered the possibility that Miriam might be a prophetess and the Israelite General Relief Society President. Take the Challenge Miriam and Aaron truly were leaders whom God was using. Miriam's desire for personal glory led her to question God. By using Learn Religions, you accept our, The Birth of Moses Bible Story Study Guide, Biography of Moses, Leader of the Abrahamic Religions, Parting the Red Sea Bible Story Study Guide, Scripture Readings for Ash Wednesday Through the First Week of Lent, Moses and the Burning Bush Bible Story Study Guide, Gain a Christian Perspective on the Passover Feast, The Tabernacle Cloud and Pillar of Fire Hid God's Presence, M.A., English Composition, Illinois State University, B.S., English Literature, Illinois State University.