Applicants for naturalization will not be affected by the new public charge rules. Use of non-cash benefits for more than 12 months in any previous 36-month period. If I use Medicaid or food stamps, will I be considered likely to become a public charge? Add more programs that could be considered when determining if someone is likely to become a public charge, including certain health care, food, and housing programs. | I am applying in the U.S. for adjustment of status and will have to be interviewed at a consulate outside the U.S. before I can get my green card. INFORMATION FOR NONCITIZENS APPLYING TO ENTER THE U.S. OR TO ADJUST STATUS TO LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENCE: I am applying to enter the U.S. from abroad. This is mainly because the former would begin to work right away and pay taxes to Uncle Sam. If you are worried about whether you will pass the new public charge rule test, then you may want to consider submitting your visa or green card application before it goes into effect! Your immigration status can also play a role in whether you pass or fail the public charge test. The more money and assets you have the better your chances of passing the public charge test. And remember, the government will look at your whole situation to decide if you are likely to depend on government programs in the future. But it could be considered if your family member is applying for a green card from outside the U.S. or needs to go abroad for a consular interview before being granted permanent resident status. In implementing the new rule, and to find out whether applicants have used public benefits such as food stamps or Medicaid in the past and thus might be inadmissible to the U.S. as potential "public charges," U.S. INFORMATION FOR LAWFUL PERMANENT RESIDENTS AND U.S. CITIZENS: What if I am a lawful permanent resident (I have a green card) and am receiving help from government programs. If you are sponsoring a family member for a green card who lives outside the U.S., be prepared to answer questions about your relationship to that person. If you naturalize to become a US citizen (using form N-400) you automatically can cancel your public charge bond. Remember: this new public charge rule goes into effect 10/15/2019 so submit your petition before this date to be grandfathered into the old testing method of inadmissibility on the public charge grounds. In addition to the above, adjudicators will consider whether you are likely to use the following government benefits: As I stated before, the number of people that are affected by the new public charge rule is broad. Medicaid for the treatment of an emergency medical condition; Services or benefits funded by Medicaid but provided under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act; School-based services or benefits provided to individuals who are at or below the oldest age-eligible for secondary education as determined under state or local law; Medicaid benefits received by an alien under 21 years of age; or. Call Today, Home Today.1-800-628-888824 Hours, Everyday. There are some rules and limitations on who will be offered the chance to submit a bond. The chart below is the current poverty guidelines for 2019. What if I am U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident and want to sponsor or am sponsoring someone for a green card? of Public Charge Bond . The new public charge rule will affect many parts of your everyday life. To submit a comment, you do not have to provide your contact information or your immigration status, just your name. Have you ever been approved for a US visa? There are several listed below that you can apply for and still pass the public charge test. Being under 18 and older than 61 will negatively affect your chances of getting an immigrant or nonimmigrant visa. | If a child is receiving health care coverage through a public program, how will that affect their application for a green card? | Should I or my family stop using the government programs we are using now? U.S. citizens cannot lose their citizenship based on their lawful use of public benefits. The public charge standard was first in the immigration code in 1882, New rule dramatically changes the definition of the term “public charge”.