I tested it myself.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'thecoolerbox_com-medrectangle-4','ezslot_9',145,'0','0'])); Compare that to a cheap 5-Quart (160 oz) cooler using styrofoam insulation and it only held ice approximately 24 hours. There are certain materials that can be used to insulate ice that work better than others at keeping it whole, although nothing works for an extended period of time, so wherever you are going, you should move quickly! Metal coolers transfer energy more quickly, so they don't keep ice from melting for a long period. Running a business all about coolers, insulated drink bottles and outdoor gear I've learned A LOT about what insulation works best and why it works best. Research source More on what Yeti coolers are made from. She has conducted survey work for marine spatial planning projects in the Caribbean and provided research support as a graduate fellow for the Sustainable Fisheries Group. Place them among the ice to keep the cooler frosty. You should also place a lid over the bucket or container, once it is full of ice, to prevent exposure to air and to keep the ice from melting. Also, put a towel in the bottom of the cooler before filling it with ice to prevent air exposure. I've never seen it in a cooler before and I don't know if we ever will. So lots of heat gets in this way. Wool works because it is a poor conductor, which means that it does not transfer energy well. Obviously, the best place to keep an ice cube from melting is the freezer. Felt keeps ice from melting because it acts as a natural insulator. These containers create an insulating environment designed to keep heat away from the ice cube. This is because cheaper coolers use thinner insulation. How can I keep ice cubes from melting? X Because a vacuum has little to no particles in it heat really struggles to move through it. A Nylon or Styrofoam container will keep the ice cool for most of the day, a plastic container will keep it cool overnight. You can see it above used in the insulation in my van to help reflect the sun's thermal radiation. People would wrap large blocks if ice in sawdust or would keep the ice underground where it was cooler. The towel will help to keep the cold air in and the warm air out for longer than if you didn't use a towel. What is the best way to keep ice from melting? To keep ice from melting, try lining the cooler with aluminum foil or ice packs to further insulate the ice. Over the last decade coolers with polyurethane foam have gotten so good they can now hold ice for as long as 10-14+ days, even in summertime. As the ice block melts, it will get colder because the energy is being used to break the solid state bonds. Wrap the ice cubes in as many layers of newspaper as you can to provide it with the thickest amount of insulation. Brittney Horwitz started writing professionally in 2009 when she became the editor of "Mother's Helper," a bimonthly magazine geared toward busy mothers in the New York metro area. References. I love researching the latest gear and helping you choose the products that are best for your needs and price range. Ice needs energy to melt, and plastic containers prevent the transfer of heat energy from the inside of the container to the exterior and vice versa. But if you're in a pinch it's good to know that you could create a makeshift cooler out of wood and it would work to insulate your ice and stop it from melting for a little while. Is aluminum foil a good insulator for ice? They also lack features like freezer grade gaskets which help to keep out the warm air.eval(ez_write_tag([[580,400],'thecoolerbox_com-large-leaderboard-2','ezslot_7',134,'0','0'])); While it's rarely used to keep ice frozen for the obvious reason that it's not waterproof, cardboard is actually quite a good insulator. Check out the table of emissivity values for common materials to find out which materials reflect heat the best. Here's the facts: The best insulation to keep ice from melting is: a vacuum. This type of insulation is also used in food containers like noodle cups but there are some concerns styrofoam may cause cancer. Keep, "All of the tips were very helpful, although I wasn't sure how long the aluminum would keep the ice cold, but once, "I have been having trouble keeping my ice cold, but this article showed I don't have to put cold water in my drinks, "The comments from the people were great and answered any questions I had. It's been used on space missions and was used to protect the mars rover. Felt acts as an insulator. Like the felt, the thickness of the newspaper will serve to keep the warm air out and the cold air in, so the ice cube will be able to last for a little while. But you're unlikely to use it to keep your beer cold or stop your ice from melting while you're camping or having you backyard bbq. If you are using a large cooler, you can also use frozen plastic bottles of water or other drinks that are not carbonated, to act as ice packs. You can also line a cooler with aluminum to keep things cold for longer and aluminum is also a great way to keep food hot on the go. This article has been viewed 321,773 times. Metal does not provide good insulation. For more information on other insulators check out my article on 10 common materials that keep things cold.eval(ez_write_tag([[300,250],'thecoolerbox_com-leader-1','ezslot_18',135,'0','0'])); Above we looked at the best insulation to keep ice from melting. A plastic container will keep ice cool overnight, as long as it is not placed in direct sunlight. A vacuum is 2-12x more effective than polyurethane foam or styrofoam used in coolers. Last Updated: February 19, 2020 Ice in cheaper styrofoam coolers usually only lasts 1-2 days maximum.