Much of the property is owned and managed by the BLM … which makes most of it fair game for adventurers looking for a place to sleep. He has been travelling and working abroad since 2008 and has more than 10 years of experience in online business, finance, travel and entrepreneurship. The key to a low cost cross country road trip is the ability to find free campsites. We love every one of these countries and have been to them all aside from Poland and Romania, which are high on our list of countries to see. Greece was amazing value for money we found And, still very cheap – mmm, Greek food! 1 US dollar will get you around 13,850 rupiah, which is about 1,000 more rupiah than in 2018. Not only is Spain affordable, it’s one of the most geographically diverse countries on the continent, with snow-capped peaks and breathtaking Mediterranean beaches. Great list, I am off to Greece at your suggestion. This is true. Happy New Year to you as well Nepal is extremely affordable as well – the list could have been much longer for sure. That night we paid under $30 for that bill and we still don’t know how. Whether you’re into culture and history, nature and landscapes, lakes and fishing, or cities and wine, Argentina has something for you…and right now it’s one of the cheapest countries to visit. Coming from Turkey, we expected Georgia to be a lot more expensive, but we were blown away by how affordable it was and how much we loved the capital city. However I would never encourage anyone to use airbnb, which seems to be one of then big points of the article, specially when travelling to big cities. Tomorrow I bus back to Bishkek, where I’ll get Indian visa then fly to Delhi & overland to Nepal. We met a couple in Medellin who decided to move to Colombia to retire in 2014. You never know what you’re going to encounter on the open road, so being flexible is ideal. But first, a bit of background about this trip. It’s quite easy to spend $50 / day or less, particularly in the off-season or the shoulder season, when the price of flights and accommodation can be discounted by as much as 50%. Happy New Year and unforgettable adventures to you in 2018! What likely contributes to this is the unfortunate struggles that the Greek economy has seen in recent years and the influx of refugees. Hi Nick … My first visit to your Goats… Outstanding !!! IMPORTANT NOTE: Before we start, I have to point this out!!! Originally AUD $ 179.00 AUD $ 99.95. Great list! It is the cheapest one with more than 23 world heritage sites Imagine, 50 liter of gasoline cost less than 4 euros. This drop in currency means that travelling to Argentina would cost you less than half of what it cost us in 2017. Activities can be fairly cheap in Cuba as well, with chilling out on beaches and wandering around the stunning and bustling streets costing you nothing. Greece is an amazing destination Happy travels in 2019. The places we camp are easily accessible by vehicle. It’s one of the cheapest countries to visit in Europe. One thing to be aware of is to keep a sharp eye out for warning signs. We highly recommend doing the 4 day Ciudad Perdida trek and a coffee tour in Salento (the latter is only $2). The bay of Kotor remains as one of the most dramatic and visually stunning places we’ve ever seen in our travels, while Montenegro as a whole still offers relatively good value for money. The cost of Cuba is incredibly affordable, making it one of the cheapest countries to visit. It was very rare that we would have our overnight accommodations sorted out before we started driving. It’s a common misconception, I lived in Istanbul for 3 years. Tapas in Spain, particularly in smaller villages, are of great value and you can usually fill up on under $7 including a glass of wine (if you’re not near the beach). If you’re looking to visit more than just Europe, check out our list of the cheapest countries to visit in 2020, the best countries to visit in 2020, and if you’re an expat or digital nomad like us, check out our list of the cheapest places to live. Whaou awesome article! So, that still begs the question…. While it’s not trading as well as it was at the beginning of 2016, at 14.4 rand to the USD, a trip to South Africa is 14% cheaper than 2017 when it was 12.6 rand to the US dollar. Sprawled out on beaches a few times, took a stunning drive through the countryside. We ate a massive platter of meat, veggies and bread and drank copious amounts of wine. No, I did not complete a cross country road trip for a grand total of less than $100 – that truly is impossible. Even in Rome, there are private rooms on Airbnb for just $15 / night if you book well in advance. Not necessary, obviously, considering we camped in a couple wild sites in a Porsche 911. We recommend dining at least 1 night at your casa as they cook some amazing traditional food! So other than what we spent eating lunches in local restaurants, our food didn’t cost any more than what we would’ve spent at home. Bring a picnic with wine to the piazza/park/beach rather than purchasing expensive food and drinks. Thanks for the article. If you’re going to have neighbors, or be close to a town, busy road, etc … the sound of rushing water eliminates most (if not all) man-made noises. Originally AUD $ 179.00 AUD $ 49.95. No matter;  we adapted on the fly and ended up taking a wild camping adventure of a lifetime. Iran is pretty good too – cheap and amazing to travel around . I’ve been to India to visit. Thank you for the insight. On top of good food and accommodation value, activities in Greece are typically priced well too. Cheaper than Thailand by a mile. Start searching for your site around 4PM. Another key feature is to always seek out campsites that are close to flowing water – rivers, creeks, streams, etc. I cannot stress this strongly enough. As such, we relied heavily on a couple apps on our phones – and also on having good cell service! Mexico is extremely affordable these days thanks to a struggling peso added to an already low cost of living. Even in the western part of Europe. Backpacking Mexico: Top 8 Reasons to Travel Mexico, Mexico – The Best Digital Nomad Spot for North Americans, Top Tips For Preparing for a Trip to India, get help from local experts to plan a legal trip, 12 Best Things To Do in Guanajuato, Mexico. All about travel preparation, planning, packing & saving. Or, as was the case for Dirk and I, an adventurous spirit, a little bit of courage, and Google maps is often all that’s needed. Sounds silly, right? As we all know, the cheaper the destination, the longer you can afford to stay — or the better your travel lifestyle can be while visiting. For one person, it would be quite easy to get by on $50 / day during off-peak periods. On one occasion, Dariece, myself and a friend sat in a restaurant bar for over 5 hours. Greece actually feels really expensive after those countries, especially when it comes to groceries, that are surprisingly pricey here. Thailand simply offers some of the best value for money you can find anywhere on earth. Look no further, Take Back Roads has you covered! You’ll easily spend half an hour or more driving to and from the city, if not more. Surprisingly, while it’s definitely the least-visited of the destinations on this list, it’s not actually the cheapest country in Europe. While I was taking a European road trip with my wife and daughter in July 2018, Dirk and another friend were finally scratching the itch, driving a 1969 Porsche 911 to the California coastline. Was thinking of going to Amsterdam with my daughter. Cheap casual men's shirts from the Country Road and Trenery clearance store. When we travelled to Argentina in 2017, we received around 18 Argentine Pesos for 1 US Dollar. I think you have not got a chance to look all video bloggers doing in Pakistan from last 2 years. Nice article, But there are many good places in India to be kept photo of and also to visit. 27 Things To Do in Ios: A Must-Visit Greek Island, Cost of Living in Spain: A Guide For Digital Nomads, How To Spend 6 Days in The South of Spain, Plovdiv, Bulgaria: A Must-Visit Balkan City, Albanian Food: 10 Must-Try Meals in Albania, Acclimatizing to Albania: A 10 Day Road Trip, Must-Have Experiences in The Wine Region of Georgia, Tbilisi, Georgia – A Quick Trip Through The Caucasus Countries, Lake Ohrid: A Guide to Visiting Macedonia’s Natural Wonder, The Ultimate Guide To Travelling Macedonia, Road Tripping Macedonia: Visiting Lake Ohrid and Mavrovo, Magical Montenegro – Experiencing the Bay of Kotor, GoatLife TV Episode 75 – A Road Trip in Montenegro, 10 Things To Do in Split – A Highlight of Croatia, Discovering Dubrovnik: Croatia’s Fairytale City, The Ultimate Guide to Travelling Dubrovnik, Croatia, Top 29 Incredible Places To Visit in Italy, Top 13 Best Restaurants in Florence Italy, Traveling To Rome, Italy: The Ultimate Guide, Where To Stay in Rome – The Absolute Best Neighbourhoods & Accommodation Options, 12 Best Things To Do in Guanajuato, Mexico. We took one on a whim during our first day of the California trip, and it caused a paradigm shift in how we travel. Nick’s advice has been featured on the Lonely Planet, CNN Money, Business Insider,  WiseBread and Forbes and he spoke at the World Tourism Forum in Istanbul about the business of travel blogging. Delivery; Returns Policy; Contact Us/Help; Stores; Terms & Conditions; What's in Store. While your money won’t go as far in the larger cities like Madrid and Barcelona, it is still possible to live on very little in Spain, particularly if you stay in a nice Airbnb and cook a few meals for yourself every day. Kraków has recently become a bit of a digital nomad hot spot thanks to its affordability, unique vibe and decent wi-fi. This fantastic creekside campsite was shared with us by. Food in the grocery stores is an incredible value and you can purchase decent bottles of wine for around 2 euros. If you can help it, don’t simply chat up the bored-looking teenager running the register – they likely don’t feel inclined to help you, even if they do know a good spot. Nick’s advice has been featured on the Lonely Planet, CNN Money, Business Insider,  WiseBread and Forbes and he spoke at the World Tourism Forum in Istanbul about the business of travel blogging. For trekkers, the winter months are a good time to hit the mountains of Patagonia. South Africa is relatively easy to travel, especially if you rent your own car (highly recommended). You can save even more by staying in a private room in an apartment, rather than having the entire place to yourself. My partner and I lived in Bali for half a year and loved our time there. The answer is simple – so simple it almost defies logic. Our flights out west to start the trip were about $200 each. While the cost of that meal was exceptionally low, we often ate all you can eat thali meals for as little as $1.50 and drank fresh lime juice squeezed on the street for 15 cents a glass. Argentina isn’t known for being one of the cheapest countries to visit, but with the current instability of the peso, you can definitely save some money by visiting now and maybe help the local economy along the way. There’s lots to see, the people are awesome, and the food is some of the best I’ve ever tasted. That’s a great way to overpay for a room. You can travel here on an all-inclusive, but if you choose to travel to Cuba independently, you’ll have a far richer experience and it’ll cost you less. Shop Country Road's entire lifestyle offering including: Woman, Man, Child and Home. Some tips for travelling Italy on a budget include: Walking rather than taking a taxi. We rented a beautiful, modern, 550 sq ft studio apartment with a view of the sea for under $20 / night on Zakynthos Island.