Information about light horse breeds, backgrounds and history of hot-blooded and warmblood light horses with horse class, equestrian discipline, and horse training by body types: stock type, hunter type, saddle type and others. They enjoy "stall balls", "pony pops" or some other type of equine toy. A body type is generally attributed to each class, with the 'other' classification being a bit of an odd ball. The exact origin of the Haflinger is unknown, but their heritage includes ponies from the Tyrolean mountains of Austria. Regardless of the previous origins, however, all Haflingers trace their ancestry back to Folie. They are successful in low to mid level dressage, jumping, and vaulting. horsemom2be is offline Quote Quick Reply. Though once bred only in the the region of the central Alps, it has since become a worldwide breed bred in more than sixty countries. I just lost my Arab two weeks ago. My best friend for over 26 years. Until 1945 the Haflinger was primarily distributed in the region of the central Alps. Haflinger horses are relatively small, are always chestnut with flaxen mane and tail, have distinctive gaits described as energetic but smooth, and are well-muscled yet elegant. At 59 I thought that I may not get another horse but have started looking for another Arabian. Intelligent and sensible, they are quick learners and a 'jack of all trades'. Haflingers are a solidly built smaller horse that many in the equine world know for their color and temperament. Color impurities are undesirable. They have a place in all disciplines though are not necessarily specialized in any. The Haflinger Horses are a light horse breed and one of the warmblood breeds from Europe. Light horses are grouped in a couple of different ways, one being the continent or country where they originated from. He is a dependable trail or endurance horse and his cleverness and quickness also make him suited to many western disciplines. The hooves of both breeds were healthy and solid. Haflingers range from pale chestnut to dark liver chestnut with a pale or flaxen mane and tail. The Haflinger is usually tranquil and determined. The Haflinger should do well in most disciplines. The other half, on the same side, is … Photo © Animal World: Courtesy Ken Childs, Dr. Posts: 72 • Horses: 0 Haflinger Mane Problems. The American Haflinger Horse Association, Akron, Ohio 1997, referenced 2008 It includes those that are color breeds or those that may fit a body type of one of the training classes, but not be used for that type of training. These attractive multi-talented horses are known for their longevity and excellent disposition. User; Horses . Foal. Haflingers do not require a large stall space if they are exercised regularly. "Pigeon toed, splay footed, knock-kneed or bow legged front legs, narrow or wide at the hock" are highly undesirable traits and horses exhibiting these are discouraged from breeding. The desired size is from 54 to 60 inches, or 13.2 to 15 hands high.