A Peep Into The Difference Between Acoustic And Classical Guitar Which Is The Paragon Guitar For The Beginners? They have a similar relative in the guitar family called a flamenco guitar. While the acoustic variety predominantly comes in a somehow dreadnought shape, they are noticeably larger than the classical variety. Let’s look at why acoustic and classical guitars are much more different than they seem on the first sight. Now the billion dollar question is, if you are a beginner, which one should you pick? Make sure you know. The truss rod in other acoustics adds support to the neck, keeping it straight while under pressure from the tightly wound steel strings. For the reason, I receive many queries over the phone, email and social media about Best Guitar Recommendation. Choose Wisely Retro Guitar Pinup Girl iPhone Case, I Just Want to Drink Beer Play Guitar and Take Naps Slacker T-shirt, Weapons of Mass Expression Rock Guitar T-Shirt. So let us get into the basics. To sum up, classical guitars are easier on the fingers, easy to play and produce a mellow sound. If you’re a beginner and want to practice strumming basic chords – you might want to stay away from classical guitars for now. This is definitely not the case. You can check this. Tip: Here's our step by step guide on playing classical guitar. Dismiss. Standard classical nylon strings also come with different gauges, but what makes the difference in tone and feel is again, the string tension. eval(ez_write_tag([[468,60],'guitarlisty_com-leader-3','ezslot_8',138,'0','0']));If you look for statistics to find out the type of guitar most of the guitarists opt for to start with, you will find that most of them vouch for the acoustic variety. Acoustic guitar is similar to classical, but there are some differences. Lastly, one of the primary drawbacks to learning with steel strings is that they will hurt your fingers until you develop calluses. Similarities between acoustic and classical guitars, Differences between acoustic and classical guitars. The starting point has to be a sound one and should be as per your liking. Nylon strings, as you might imagine, don’t have a lot of oomph either. This question of the classical vs acoustic guitar is a subjective matter and heavily depends on what type of music you are in to.. First, it’s obvious that the wide fretboard is going to change how the instruments play. Keep in mind that classical guitars have smaller bodies in general, and despite the having a similar scale length, will have a very different tone. Whilst Spruce is more traditional and has been used in the industry more, Cedar has gained popularity starting in the mid-1960's. Classical guitars also come in a variety of sizes, ranging from the smallest Piccolo style body to the largest Contra bass styles. On classical guitars, the most common used soundboard-woods are Cedar and Spruce and there is an everlasting debate on which seems to be better. Getting into guitars is an exciting time. Steel string acoustics, especially the large-bodied dreadnoughts, can be played quite loudly without losing any sonic clarity. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. And finally, I created this GuitarListy.com and started putting my suggestions and reviews here. Classical guitars, on the other hand, are much quieter. On your special occasion, if you get a surprise gift from your dad, an expensive guitar, first, you will learn to play guitar and later on you will be on a hunt to own a better one than the previous one – a classical or an acoustic guitar. Honestly, you can even be somewhat good at guitar, but if you only played acoustics or electric guitars, you may not even know what’s different about classical guitars. To put it in a different way, for $200 you have a broader range of sizes, shapes and colors compared to classicals. But it’s important to note that they often have a hard time maintaining a modern contemporary guitar voice. Hence, if you are to start with the acoustic guitars, the finger tips will hurt and can even cut, though after subsequent practice, they will not hurt any more. Although steel string acoustics come in a range of sizes [explained in depth here] including mini instruments for children and medium-sized parlor guitars, they are most commonly found with dreadnought bodies, smaller only than the “jumbo” style body of some uncommon larger acoustics. Here you can see our recommended top acoustic guitars under $200. Should You Start with a Classical or Acoustic Guitar? While classical guitars are popular amongst those who are the followers of classical music, the ones who are more into jazz and country music, soft rock ‘n roll and other lighter varieties of music have a liking towards the Acoustic guitars. They are both great guitars in the same sense. Acoustic and classical guitars often have similar size, shape and even color! The ‘feel factor’ of these two varieties is totally different. Hi, I’m John Anthony, Playing and collecting Cool Guitars is my hobby, and all of my friends and relatives know it. Hence, when it comes to deciding upon the type of guitar you need to opt for, you need to consider all the points simultaneously and then take the final decision accordingly. So, with that out of the way, let’s talk about their physical differences: namely, how they differ in build and construction. But this softness of material also means you can’t really play with a pick. That should clear things up a bit regarding the differences between classical guitars and acoustics. Required fields are marked *. Hence, ideally speaking there should never be a classical vs acoustic guitar debate, as both these varieties have their own plus points and the negatives. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. With acoustics, body size determines volume, and classicals have a lot less space for the sound to be internally amplified. Hence, if you are to save your fingers from cuts and bruises the classical guitar is the best option for you.Tip: Here is our Top 10 Classical Guitars Reviews and Buying Guides. Classical guitars on the other hand come with softer feeling nylon or synthetic gut strings. Without this sturdy internal bracing system, classical guitars are generally significantly lighter than acoustics of around the same size. The classical variety uses nylon strings while the acoustic variety comes with strings made up of steel, and that makes a world of difference. Moreover, they are cheaper than the other varieties of guitars. On average, about 160 pounds between the headstock and the bridge. The string spacing is also different as they are set further apart from each other. how to change strings on your classical guitar, Best Budget Classical Guitars Reviewed Under 200 Dollars.