‍Chill/out: relax; take it easy – Example: It was finally vacation and he only wanted to chill out on the beach. 8. A Dozen Idioms – Who Said Animals Can’t Talk? Children don’t let study. Children don’t let me study. ‍Beat: tired; exhausted; weary – Example: It was a busy week and the employees were beat. He didn’t let me operate the computer. Mom lets me watch the TV. ‍Dud: something that does not work properly – Example: The flashlight was a dud; although it was brand new, it did not work at all. How to Think Quickly in Everyday Speech When Talking in English (To Impress Even You), The Value of Mistakes in ESL Learning - Stories from Students Around the World, Learning the Importance of Body Language as an ESL Student. I’ll not let your pain grow. page break LESSONS. I will let you listen to songs but first, you give me money. उसने मुझे कम्प्यूटर नहीं चलाने दिया। (Usne mujhe computer nahi chalane diya.) ‍Hype: exaggerated praise for a product or person for promotional purposes – Example: There was a lot of hype around the new iPhone. x�T�n�0��+x�u$�R�k��C�x�a�!��[�.v� �'�RR�IÐ@Q|��v��q|�P�g���������'A}5>o&n;x�PWf1����K� �\RYQ��s�J'���$��li� ���a��*��'ݔ6�ɠS���P�(z��������nj�i��6�{*? 25. ‍Goose: a silly or stupid person – Example: I couldn’t believe that she wore two different colored socks to school; what a goose!‍. ‍Dope: stupid person; fool – Example: It was obvious to most people that ___ was a dope when it came to calculus. stream The only difference is that Cambridge ‍Exec: an executive or manager – Example: The marketing exec made all of the decisions for the department. learn english speaking with 1.6 million students of spoken English guru only on englishwale.com endstream ‍Honcho/Head honcho: person; person in charge – Example: The honcho was called for his opinion on the new product. Required fields are marked *. ‍Flunk: to fail a course or course – Example: The student did not study and flunked his math exam. %PDF-1.3 ‍Babe: a good-looking young woman – Example: The convertible driven by the babe was headed to the beach. 125 useful english phrases for everyday use by SASCHA FUNK for www.sayfun.me Top 25 English Expression 1. as easy as pie means “very easy” (same as “a piece of cake”) Example: He said it is a difficult problem, but I don’t agree.It seems as easy as pie to me! I will not let study. ‍Bugger:  a disliked thing – Example: I tried to get rid of the fly in the kitchen but it was difficult to swat the little bugger. राम मुझे सोने नहीं देता। (Ram mujhe sone nahi deta.) /Annots 13 0 R >> मैं तुम्हें गाने सुनने दूँगा पर पहले पैसे दो। (Main tumhe gane sunne doonga par pahle paise do.) ‍Garbage: of poor quality – The items in the discount furniture store looked like garbage so the lady went to a more up-scale store. 2 0 obj Your email address will not be published. ‍Couch potato: someone who watches too much television – Example: It seems that there are more and more young people who choose to be couch potatoes today rather than to get fresh air and exercise.‍. 3. ‍Chock-full: crammed full – Example: The pantry as chock-full of food. x�}�w\ŝg��V�-��j�ڏV���n���j��F6�����Ď6����y-�Nvؠ�f�q2ya2�$1"��@�����3� {N~�s�b��]��u�u�V���nU�n=���O}nշ��������X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`�X,��E�"`���@��,5D���5T�VeY�Z4 उसने मुझे पानी नहीं पीने दिया। (Usne mujhe pani nahi peene diya.) It was an appropriate name since the employees were geeks. नहीं देखने देती। (Mummy mujhe TV nahi dekhne deti.) मैं पढ़ने नहीं दूँगा। (Main padhne nahi doonga.) This man didn’t let Ram sit here. ‍Blow: waste something like money or an opportunity – Example: I hope he doesn’t blow his chances to get that job. ‍Cahoots: working together secretly – Example: The police chief was in cahoots with the FBI to try to solve the crime.Can: to reject someone – Example: The new director was canned and forced out of the job. ‍Get: to understand something; to punch, injure or kill someone – Examples: If you study hard enough, you will get it. देखने देती है। (Mummy mujhe TV dekhne deti hai.) ‍Earful: verbal reprimand or verbal criticism; a long talk – Example: At the party, Michael’s father gave Michael an earful of how he should behave. ‍Flick: a movie – Example: There was a popular flick playing at the cinema this weekend. Did you let him sit? endobj ‍Eating: annoying; bothering; upsetting – Example: The relationship was eating away at mother so she decided to go to counseling. ‍Glitch:  a fault or defect, especially in computer software – Example: The computer technician fixed the glitch in the program and now it works perfectly. मैं हर किसी को पढ़ने दूँगा। (Main har kisi ko padhne doonga.) (Kya Ram tumhe jane deta hai?) ‍Antsy: restless; impatient; unsettled – Example: The students were antsy before the math test. ‍Gutted: very upset/devastated – Example: The houses on the street were gutted from the tornado. ‍Guts: courage – Example: It as amazing to see how much guts the soldiers had in that war. उसने मुझे बाइक नहीं चलाने दी। (Usne mujhe bike nahi chalane di.) ‍Hairy: dangerous; risky; scary – Example: The airplane trip during the turbulent weather was very hairy for the pilot and crew. उस लड़के ने मुझे वहाँ खेलने नहीं दिया। (Us ladke ne mujhe vaha khelne nahi diya.) /Cs1 7 0 R >> /Font << /F2.0 10 0 R /F1.0 8 0 R >> /XObject << /Im1 11 0 R true /ColorSpace 16 0 R /Intent /Perceptual /SMask 17 0 R /BitsPerComponent ‍In deep: deeply involved – Example: She was in deep in her studies and planned on becoming a scientific researcher. 29. Just for fun, visit this page: Fun With English. ‍Fab: fabulous; wonderful – Example: The newly painted office looked fab!‍. He didn’t let me purchase the mobile. Why did you not let him go? (Use jaane kyo nahi diya tumne?) In fact, you may even use some of these words yourself without realizing they are slang. मेरा अकेलापन मुझे जीने नहीं देगा। (Mera akelapan mujhe jeene nahi dega.) पापा हमें पेड़ पर नहीं चढ़ने देते। (Papa hame ped par nahi chadhne dete.) 17. क्या तुम मुझे जाने दोगे अगर मैं तुम्हें ₹10 दूं तो? Complete English Speaking KIT (Lesson-wise Videos + Books + Charts). My loneliness won’t let me live. 15. मैं तुम्हारे दुख को बढ़ने नहीं दूँगा। (Main tumhare dukh ko badhne nahi doonga.) ‍Cool:  likeable – Example: The movie was cool especially the animation. We used to let him play sometimes. Mom doesn’t let me watch the TV. 9 Mistakes I Made as an English Language Learner, Attention All English Language Learners - Avoiding The 200 Most Common English Mistakes, 96 More Slang Expressions from Pix to Z’s to Become ESL Savvy, ESL 101: Learn English by Yourself with 101 A-M-A-Z-I-N-G Resources, 2 Ways To Talk (Casual and Formal)… in the English Language, What Science Tells Us About Maximizing English as a Second Language Learning, Going Forward: Focus on What Matters Most (Teachers and Students Share their Favourite Memories), Opening Up Your Cubicle to Value the Differences of Cultures Around You. Running the marathon would have been enough.‍. 16. It is the first in a series of three articles on this subject. Ever Wondered How Students Describe Their Best Teacher. ‍Cushy: easy; undemanding – Example: The job at the country club was quite cushy, yet he seemed to make a lot of money. ‍Hooked: addicted; obsessed – Example: The children were hooked on reading when the teacher read such exciting books out loud every day in class. 37. Hassle: to annoy or bother someone – Example: It was such a hassle to get everyone’s signature on the card when many of them were out of town.