�"����hceC��� ,\�.�n��4vQ�� fRe}�H�P�I�V+K��[�]�����٭�^\X؆5e�$Spf�4&d���f�ɼdude�.b#vѦʸ��d����KS#3�=�E���t�qex[{LԄ�AM+���E�Y��8-�%T�d2���Z9-�g�w�8��� thou hast brought me very low...I have opened my mouth unto the Lord, and cannot go back." In Judges 11: 29-40 we read how Jephthah gave his daughter as a burnt offering to the Lord. But was it so? And Jephthah {m} vowed a vow unto the LORD, and said, If thou shalt without fail deliver the children of Ammon into mine hands, (m) As the apostle commends Jephthah for his worthy enterprise in delivering the people, He 11:32 so by his rash vow and wicked performance of the same, his victory was defaced: and here we see that the sins of the godly do not utterly extinguish their faith. Have you fulfilled your vow? –- see what verse 35 says. It is true that Jephthah seemed to have a good grasp of his nation’s history, but this is no guarantee that he was godly or that he was familiar with God’s laws.5 If Jephthah were such a godly man, he shouldn’t have been so distressed when his daughter came out, because the Law allowed for him to offer a trespass offering after making a rash vow (Leviticus 5:4–6). With singular nobleness of spirit she answered, "Do to me according to that which hath proceeded out of thy mouth." By Jack Kelley Thursday July 15th, 2010 About 2 Minutes to Read. This was a terrible blow to the victor, and in his despair he cried out, "Alas, my daughter! This, of course, was not his fault, but in his case it proved to be a great handicap, for his family cast him out and disinherited him (verse 2). 1 0 obj Jephthah Answers the Call June 18 Bible Study Guide 3 Bible Background • JUDGES 11 Printed Text • JUDGES 11:4–11, 29–31 Devotional Reading • ACTS 15:6–21 Aim for Change By the end of the lesson, we will: ACKNOWLEDGE that people who have had disagreements can unite to He was ““a mighty warrior”” (Judges 11:1), but he was an illegitimate child. Yes, and what a truly noble life it was! Branded as an outcast, there seemed only one thing for Jephthah to do –- see verse 3; but unfortunately in taking this course he found himself associating with, and surrounded by, the wrong sort of ‘‘friends’’, and he became a leader in vice –- look up and compare Psalm 1:1 and Luke 15:13. of Q. This question has been much debated, and there are many able commentators who argue that such a sacrifice was actually offered. Salem Media Group. We do not know whether his daughter was actually offered as a burnt offering or whether she was simply devoted to a life of perpetual virginity, which was a tragic fate, for every Jewish girl hoped she would be the mother of the Messiah. It was made, as verse 30 tells us, “”to the Lord””, and it is significant that in the previous verse we are told that “”the Spirit of the LORD came upon Jephthah”” (verse 29). We are not told that he was thus tempted, but could it have been otherwise? Did you make some vow when you were seriously ill, or when you were unemployed, or when you were in some other trouble? z� �����q@_~�DB�@�0u�:��ZBF�3�]x��pcZ��d�٣(o�yV�M���n���v�ڲѩep$���1� x�s�b%(h��M[Ź�G;�=�Bu�p�#S�͋ 3AA�����.p���. It may be that you have been tested along this line? <>/Font<>/ProcSet[/PDF/Text/ImageB/ImageC/ImageI] >>/Annots[ 12 0 R] /MediaBox[ 0 0 612 792] /Contents 4 0 R/Group<>/Tabs/S/StructParents 0>> –- look up Deuteronomy 23:21-23. stream Is the Holy Spirit reminding you of some vow you made to the Lord which still awaits fulfilment? Did he really? Copyright © 2020, Bible Study Tools. Proud member The Lesson Of Jephthah’s Oath. <> She utters no reproach against her father's rashness, and is content to yield her life since her father has returned a conqueror. <>>> Bible Dictionaries - Easton's Bible Dictionary - Jephthahs vow, California - Do Not Sell My Personal Information. If we have committed ourselves to the Lord in some specific way, concerning some specific matter, we must seek grace to keep our word. 1. Jephthah, mentioned next in Hebrews Eleven, and presented to us in Judges 11:1-40, is a strange character. 2 0 obj We'll send you an email with steps on how to reset your password. She only asked two months to bewail her maidenhood with her companions upon the mountains. endobj God did not allow Jephthah to take back his vow just because there were undesirable consequences (God's justice), but he also did not make Jephthah burn his daughter (God's mercy). It is as though he said, ‘’Lord, I must have your help, and if you will help me and give victory over our enemies, then I promise you I will…’…’ Jephthah cast himself upon the providence of God. endobj x��]�oG��=@����#=�����ڸ${�.��A�(�I�R� ��W�W�� 94�wN$�z�Y]��i>}�ٮ��/��w�=}�ݞ_�,/�ߞ�[?���w��O�t~��?߮��ϟW���z���P]?~�M�h|�����x�hBe�_Ķ�CAX4F We cannot conclude this study in a better way than by joining Judges 11:35 with Luke 9:62 –, ““I have made a vow to the Lord that I cannot break””; for, ““No-one who puts his hand to the plough and looks back is fit for service in the kingdom of God.””, © 2020 Words of Life Ministries - an independent evangelical Registered Charitable Trust (no.269381) Cookie Policy | Privacy Policy Website by: TEKOA Creative, Study 10 THE SUBMISSION OF FAITH –- THE FIERY FURNACE, Study 6 THE COMMITMENT OF FAITH –- JEPHTHAH, Study 9 THE DELIVERANCE OF FAITH –- DANIEL. His life was full of paradoxes, a mixture of vice and virtue, good and bad, triumph and disaster, the shedding of blood and the shedding of tears; but the principle of faith was at work in his life, and it is for this reason that he is mentioned in Hebrews Eleven. Maybe it was a rash vow that he made, but the point is he was willing to trust God, and it is this which was so precious to the Lord. Jephthah agreed to be their captain (verses 8-11), and the closing phrase in verse 11 is the first indication we have of his faith in God. Jephthah ’s vow was a commitment of faith. 4 0 obj endobj The one thing that the Lord wants of His children is that they learn to trust Him, to “”live by faith, not by sight”” – look up 2 Corinthians 5:7. ‘His was not the sin, but his was the shame’. The vow which Jephthah made was a definite act of commitment before the Lord, and it is about this that we are to think now. Did Jephthah offer up his daughter as a "burnt-offering"? How wonderfully Jephthah’’s daughter responded to this new and terrible situation, as we learn from verse 36! It was made on the eve of battle, as we learn from Judges 11:30-31. See what we read in verses 30 and 31 - “ If you give …I will sacrifice…” It was certainly a very strange vow for a man to make, but surely in it we see an indication of Jephthah ’s faith in God. In the next verse, the writer says that these faithful people "subdued kingdoms, worked righteousness [and] obtained promises." But having made it, it was now binding –- look up Numbers 30:2. Article Images Copyright © 2020 Getty Images unless otherwise indicated. ( Judges 11:30 Judges 11:31 ). Then, we are told, war threatened Israel and Jephthah (of all people) was sent for and commanded to lead the Israelites into battle –- look up Judges 11:4-8. Most vows are made in a time when we are hard pressed and feel our desperate need of God’’s help and deliverance. Another beautiful illustration of perfect submission is found in Luke 1:38, and yet another outstanding example is found in 1 Samuel 3:18! Please enter your email address associated with your Salem All-Pass account, then click Continue. Here is a picture of social injustice, and it is still very prevalent today. See what we read in verses 30 and 31 –- ““If you give……I will sacrifice…”…” It was certainly a very strange vow for a man to make, but surely in it we see an indication of Jephthah’’s faith in God. Surely this man must have been tempted to break his vow! Do you think that Matthew 10:37-38 fits in rather appropriately just here? What we do know is that whatever Jephthah intended when he made the vow, he performed it to the very letter. What a testing time it is for young people when they leave home and go out into the world, and how essential it is that they go, not alone, but in the safe companionship of the Lord Jesus –- look up Hebrews 13:5-6! So to summarize, we can learn three things from this story in Judges 11. Home » Ask a Bible Teacher » The Lesson Of Jephthah’s Oath. <> There was no obligation for him to make the vow, for God had not demanded it. We are constrained, however, by a consideration of Jephthah's known piety as a true worshipper of Jehovah, his evident acquaintance with the law of Moses, to which such sacrifices were abhorrent ( Leviticus 18:21 ; 20:2-5 ; Deuteronomy 12:31 ), and the place he holds in the roll of the heroes of the faith in the Epistle to the ( Hebrews 11:32 ), to conclude that she was only doomed to a life of perpetual celibacy. lesson: jphthah’s answr an vow —june 18, 2017 INTRODUCTION: 11:1 Now Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty man of valour, and he was the son of an harlot: and Gilead begat MORE STUDIES IN HEBREWS 11 by Francis Dixon Scripture References: Hebrews 11:32; Judges 11:1-40. 3 0 obj Read Judges 11:34-35 again and try to take in the whole situation. If so, seek grace to honour the Lord, and He will surely honour you –- look up 1 Samuel 2:30. If we make a solemn promise before the Lord, unless our promise involves something which is altogether contrary to His will, we cannot go back. We sometimes forget the vows we have made before the Lord, but God never forgets them, and it is for this reason that having made the vow we cannot go back! Please read on through the chapter, and particularly notice verses 30-31 and 34-40.