Wonder at the beauty of the natural world. Please check your email for further instructions. Tips on individual cards plus an 8-page instructional booklet show modifications that make these activities inclusive for children of all abilities. Your email address will not be published. Something went wrong. Resources to Help Teach Mindfulness to Kids. I’d be really interested to read more about what you do/how you incorporate it into library sessions. This is a teeny tiny little book, possibly better suited to home use, although I’ve been using it in the library too. Using qualities of mindfulness, readers are asked to pay attention to what otherwise gets drowned-out in our noisy environment and use those sounds as a means to develop imagination and curiosity, and learn a little more about themselves. Fantastic resource, thank you. Mindfulness practice helps us to avoid becoming caught up in any thoughts, feelings, cravings or urges that are dominating our mind in an endless stress-producing cycle.“. Must-Have Children’s Books on Grief, Empathy and Feelings. Social stories are a wonderful way for children to explore learning and mindfulness. Perfect for the classroom or for bedtime, Susan Verde’s gentle, concrete narration and Peter H. Reynolds’s expressive watercolour illustrations bring the tenets of mindfulness to a kid-friendly level. Again, my girls associate some of these essential oils with sleep or with mindfulness now as we use them as part of their routine. I have nearly all the books you have listed. With your kids more at peace, and less anxious, it will help you get through another long day of parenting and improve your child’s long-term health. “Travel lightly in all things in this world, for you are only a pilgrim passing through.“. Mindful Monkey Magazine is such a cool resource for families. The reflections in ‘The Magic Box’ incorporate simple relaxation exercises and visualizations designed to improve children’s self-esteem and confidence and reduce stress and anxiety. Give kids lasting life skills to de-stress and calm down, navigate difficult emotions, control impulses, focus on what matters, and nurture empathy, kindness, and joy. a mental state achieved by focusing one’s awareness on the present moment, while calmly acknowledging and accepting one’s feelings, thoughts, and bodily sensations, used as a therapeutic technique. “their mindfulness of the wider cinematic tradition”. The internet gives us access to seemingly endless resources, but it can be difficult to know what is and isn’t worthwhile as a parent. His latest favourite book on mindfulness and brain training is ‘The Craving Mind’ (2017) by J. Hailed as “good for a green mama’s soul,” Green Child has grown into a resource valued by parents who care about bringing simplicity, compassion, social responsibility, and instinctual intelligence back to parenting. As part of this process I have been sourcing resources for the school library and my absolute favourites are below. Life is far too stressful these days isn’t it?! Practiced regularly, these exercises can have a profound effect on children’s mental, emotional and physical wellbeing. Thanks for subscribing! I live in hope my children will turn into calm and peacful beings, until then I’ll just diffuse ALL the oils. Website by Anchored Design. You can read my full review of this book here and see some of the internal images. I’m well aware that mindfulness is a buzzword and I’m generally not a fan of such things. I’d prefer it as a large format hardcover book, but I’ll take it for now! I will definitely be looking into the resources you’ve suggested – and the Dream Puffs! THE mindful resources for kids. I think this is a very relevant topic at the moment as children can become overwhelmed. Find empathy through imagination. In a simple and accessible way, it describes what mindfulness is and how mindfulness-based practices can help children calm down, become more focused, fall asleep more easily, alleviate worry, manage anger, and generally become more patient and aware. Ultimate Mindfulness Activity Book: 150 Playful Mindfulness Activities for Kids and Teens (and Grown-Ups too!) A complete review of the literature on mindfulness and yoga interventions is provided along with detailed steps on how to implement such programs. A must-have for any classroom peace corner or home stillness area! For someone who spends much of his life researching a terribly negative aspect of the world, he’s an exceptionally calm person, which I can only put down to how much energy he also puts into his mindfulness practice. While I’ve never successfully calmed because #WIRED, he’s helped me endlessly with my insomnia and he helped Dan to deal with his chronic pain for many, many years. Please check your entries and try again. Mindfulness Books for Kids. Beautifully illustrated and gently written, ‘Silence’ encourages children to stop, listen, and reflect on their experiences and the world around them. So forget the buzzword and go with the ideas which underpin mindfulness, in dad’s words; “When being mindful we focus our awareness on the here and the now. They offer journals, printables, ebooks, and so on. Practicing pebble meditation can help relieve stress, increase concentration, nourish gratitude, and can help children deal with difficult emotions. At school this year, we are incorporating mindfulness ideas into our planning and teaching as part of our social and emotional learning program and Michelle Hancock from Merge conducted a PD session on how this might ‘look’ in a school context. She says: I see mindfulness as threefold. And because I love any excuse for a new essential oil purchase, here are my fav oils and diffusers, from Lime Tree Kids. It is designed to involve children in a hands-on and creative way that touches on their interconnection with nature. Home » Emotions » Mindfulness Resources for Kids. Why we need to slow down and become deliberate with our day-to-day actions and thoughts. I hope your school library adds some of these to their collection! I always enjoy reading your articles, but this one was timely. « [Valentine’s Activity] Celebrate with a Kindness Jar, How to Parent an Intense Child in Today’s World », Hot Air Balloon Ride: A Guided Meditation for Kids, Guided Meditation for Children | Your Magical Island, Planting Seeds: Practicing Mindfulness with Children, My Magic Breath: Finding Calm Through Mindful Breathing, Alphabreaths: The ABCs of Mindful Breathing, Anxiety in Kids – What Parents Need to Know & How to Help, Teaching Kids Compassion – Pay It Forward, The Best Board Games for Kids, Homeschoolers, and Families, Raising a Montessori Kid: 75 Ways to Montessori Parenting. Purchase in store from your local independent bookstore where possible #supportlocal. Site by Design by Insight. Free Guided Ocean Meditations for Kids {Mindfulness Resources} Free Guided Ocean Meditations {Mindfulness Resources for Teens and Adults} ALL THE POSTS IN THE FREE SONGS FOR CIRCLE TIME SERIES AT MY LIVING MONTESSORI NOW … We observe how we feel, calmly accepting feelings and thoughts as they come and go. ‘Making Mindful Magic’ is by Lea McKnoulty, a former early childhood teacher and founder of a children’s arts festival. Research supports that mindful meditation calms the brain, inspires creativity and enhances cognitive and social-emotional skills. Mindfulness is paying attention, noticing what’s happening outside of you, as well as your thoughts and feelings, and letting it all be as it is. Amazon and Book Depository options for overseas & eBook purchases. Linked to this post is my post last week on ‘Yoga Books for Kids’. They are just what I’ve been hunting for. Whimsical full-color illustrations on both sides of the cards break down each practice into easy-to-follow steps. Firstly there is the pure mindful meditation time, when thoughts can dissipate, when real quiet can be found – bliss, really! If you’re keen on all things community safety, go like and share his SAVE Facebook page, mainly because I’m managing it and I want some more likes on it #socialmediamanager. In ‘Is Nothing Something?’ Zen Master Thich Nhat Hanh answers heartfelt, difficult, and funny questions from children of all ages. Really like this book…super simple and short in some respects, but very child friendly and lots of great conversation starters. This post was originally published in March, 2018 and has recently been updated. Preps and ones have contributed leaves to a mindfulness tree and written on these things they do when they ‘take the time’ to stop, listen and experience life.