The texture is tender and moist, outlasting butter cakes by several days – although good luck if you can keep it around that long! I used corn meal (allergic to almonds) and Cointreau. And it stays fresh longer. Looking closer at the recipe, I tried again. [Photograph: Vicky Wasik. Then remove the sides of the pan to let the cake finish cooling. This dry mixture will look homogeneous well before it truly is, so use patience at this stage, and whisk longer than may seem necessary. Wow! Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for 15 minutes. Some HTML is OK: link, strong, em. We reserve the right to delete off-topic or inflammatory comments. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Brush the parchment with oil. sugar in a large bowl until mixture is very light, thick, pale, and falls off the whisk or beaters in a slowly dissolving ribbon, about 3 minutes if using a stand mixer and about 5 minutes if using a hand mixer. I will be making this again. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). It puts the bold flavor and nuanced aroma of olive oil front and center, so choose a brand you really love. It was fully cooked and I wanted to add the called for EVOO so I finished the cake even though it looked a little sunken. I will try next time with orange peel and orange juice instead of lemon. Please do not use our photos without prior written permission. Added some lemon juice in the olive oil drizzle post bake and it makes a difference. I used AP flour (all I had in quarantine times), My own lemoncello for the liqueur, and the cornmeal option. I added about 1/8 tsp of almond extract for more almond flavor. If only every turkey could say the same. Post whatever you want, just keep it seriously about eats, seriously. Sift the flour, baking soda, and salt onto a sheet of parchment. (A toothpick inserted into the center should come away with a few crumbs still attached.). Whisk the eggs until foamy. Lemon and orange zest play super well with the grassy, bright flavors of olive oil. Needs to be covered in the oven after about 15 mins, as long cooking time can cause excessive browning, or even slight burning on top. So delicious. Scrape batter into prepared pan, smooth top, and sprinkle with more sugar. Served with roasted plums which was a good combo! For the most part, this is an incredibly simple cake, mixing dry and wet ingredients together and baking for 35 minutes or so. Thank you! In a 9- or 10-inch deep skillet or saucepan over medium-high heat, bring the sugar, water, and lemon juice to a boil. Line bottom with a round of parchment paper and smooth to eliminate air bubbles; coat parchment with more oil. Whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt together just until combined. It’s incredibly easy to make, and it’s made with pantry staples. Delish participates in various affiliate marketing programs, which means we may get paid commissions on editorially chosen products purchased through our links to retailer sites. Recipes you want to make. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! But this is a cake that makes the house smell so sweet and fragrant, a cake you truly can’t stop eating. For the oil final drizzle, I mixed in a tablespoon of fresh lemon juice to amp up the citrus flavor. Excellent recipe, will certainly make again! Thank you! If you’ve haven’t baked a cake with olive oil, you are in for a very pleasant surprise. I’m glad that you liked it. One of the great things about this cake is that it doesn’t take much prep or planning. Brush an 8 or 9 inch round cake pan with olive oil and dust with flour. Updated with tips and information 3/2/20.