Filipino Tocino Recipe Tocino is lightly cured with sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and either annato (would would be traditional) or red food coloring, stored to marinate and cure for a few days in … Sure the Philippines are known for their outstanding pork, and you can probably have a pork vacation of your dreams in any of their islands, but tocino is something very special and one that is commonly served for breakfast known as tosilog. Thanks for visiting. Dry the pan completely. Add about 1 tablespoon of neutral oil. Thanks! Remember the pork shoulder still has fat on it which is a thing of beauty, hence why this slow render in the skillet, along with the brown sugar in the marinade, will caramelize the fat, and the pork. Don’t get me wrong. Let that come to temperature, then lay a handful of slices, flat, into the skillet. After three days remove the pork from the marinade, however most of the pork will have sucked up most of the marinade, place into another bowl. Just mix the ingredients and cure the meat just like marinating the meat when preparing to marinate a chicken barbecue. You can also buy a package of Mama Sita’s Tocino mix if you just want to make your life easier. Then slice it into serving pieces or your desired sizes. I think a lighter version of  tocino is what you need and here it is, the chicken tocino. Manny Montala is a webmaster and admin of this blog and one of his interest is on the area of Filipino dishes and recipes. Start by adding everything but the pork to a large mixing bowl and stir with a whisk to break down the sugar. Your email address will not be published. What I learned over the years is that tocino is essentially ‘bacon of the Philippines. Please keep in mind that if you don’t want to heat up the kitchen in the morning, by all means cook this on the grill. I was introduced to tocino many years ago, and to be honest I enjoyed it however I thought it was a bit too sweet (whether is was store bought or homemade), but it was good. Since this recipe is home made, I didn’t include curing salt or salitre which is used as a preservative to prolong the shelf life and if you are planning to sell it. How much annato powder do you put in the marinade? I prefer to place my pork in the freezer for about 1 hour prior to slicing. So, tocino… Do I have you interested yet? Consider eating this in a traditional sense which is sunny side up eggs, garlic rice (or jasmine), and tocino. It’s a pretty bad ass breakfast and one that is right up my alley. HI Tonz, yes it better to boil it first. Very simple to make and only needs ingredients found in your kitchen pantry or a short distance to a small grocery store. In a mixing bowl, combine chicken, sugar, pineapple juice, salt, pepper, catsup and annato powder. Gano katagal ang itinatagal nito before it goes bad? Now to the cooking. Required fields are marked *. Hi Veronica, I’m not sure about the shelf life because it does not contain any preservatives like salitre. Required fields are marked *. I’m thinking of making this ahead para kapag nagustuhan ng mag tocino ay ipriprito na lang. ☺️. This is the time to freeze some as it makes a lot. Let this begin to cook. Filed Under: Chicken Recipes Tagged With: chicken tocino, tocino. Only the sugar acts as a preservative. Gamit ang ating #Simpol recipe, pwedeng-pwede na kayong gumawa ng 'Pork Tocino' sa inyong mga bahay. I think storing it in the freezer will prolong its shelf life for months. Traditional recipe for Tocino. Kayang-kaya niyo nang gumawa n’yan sa bahay with our Simpol Pork Tocino recipe! Transfer the chicken with the curing mix in a container with lid or a zip bag. Drain and discard the water. Place in a sealed bag, into the refrigerator, for three days. Hi! Your email address will not be published.