Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs. I know my way around agua frescas. I’m not the biggest watermelon fan, but this looks so refreshing! Email questions to the Food Section at [email protected]. NOTE: If you would like some bubbles in your agua fresca, use only enough water to process the watermelon. Puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. The ingredients are easy to find and the recipe is easy to do! Thanks for the inspiration . This refreshing watermelon basil agua fresca is a light and healthy drink to prepare for the kids, as opposed to offering sugar-laden fruit juices. Oh my goodness, I’ve been so bad about blogging lately, I almost totally missed this! It’s packed with fresh, sweet watermelon, earthy basil, and naturally sweetened with raw honey. Refrigerate until well chilled. Agua fresca (fresh water) is a Latin American drink made with water, a small amount of sweetener, and fresh fruit. Whisk in the chopped basil, lime juice and sweetener. I recently came across THIS fellow mom blogger’s post  and was intrigued by her recipe, and not to mention her mouthwatering-worthy pics! Or you are looking for a refreshing drink to make the summer linger even as autumn moves in. To read the accompanying story, see: 8 trusty tips for hosting a cookout in a public park (no holiday required). I love watermelon and reckon it is the best summer fruit ever! Put the 4 oz of water in a blender and add half of the watermelon chunks. Yum! Post contributors aren’t staff, but may write articles or columns. Sheldon Adelson’s Las Vegas Review-Journal twice endorsed Trump. Discard the seeds and return the watermelon to the blender. As soon as I clicked on this my mouth dropped and I almost started drooling LOL. Lol, thanks! You must be logged in to recommend a comment. If paused, you'll be notified of the number of additional comments that have come in. The basil adds a spicy, fragrant note that elevates the subtlety sweet taste of the watermelon (and provides a healthy dose of vitamin K! Watermelon is one of my favorite summer treats, so I will definitely have to pin this! I’m not sure I would do the basil, but mint would be awesome in it! Divide the watermelon in half. Can’t wait to try it out. Also, amounts listed in the directions will not reflect the changes made to ingredient amounts. Thank you for your recipe. Comments our editors find particularly useful or relevant are displayed in Top Comments, as are comments by users with these badges: . You must be logged in to report a comment. Melons that are riper than others may yield far more liquid, so you might end up using between 12 and 14 cups of the diced fruit. I’m going to try it with peaches and mangoes the next time I make it! I’m not sure I’ve ever had raw honey. Discard the solids. Oh wow, that would be so, so refreshing in the sun. The kids were SO excited about this…can you tell?! I’m obsessed! Pour the mixture into a bowl, leaving about 4 oz of liquid at the bottom of the blender. Does this recipe stay true to the traditional? The watermelon is very mild in this…mango and berries also taste delicious! Post Forum members consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on politics, national and international affairs. I am definitely going to try that later this week. The drink sounds tasty. How refreshingly delicious does this drink look, never made or even had one like this before. Skim off any foam. My kids love this! I am definitely going to try this! I enjoy watermelon pieces, so I think I’d like this. ), and the lime juice and sweetener balance the flavors perfectly. Nothing at all…I eat about 1/2 a watermelon every other day in the summer, lol! I love watermelon! To serve, pour into ice-filled glasses and garnish with basil. All comments are posted in the All Comments tab. I’d really like to make some of this soon. Pour through a fine-mesh strainer set over a large bowl and use a flexible spatula to push the mixture through. I’d like to give it a try though. It’s packed with fresh, sweet watermelon, earthy basil, and naturally sweetened with raw honey. This would be so refreshing on the warm summer days. When I am serving this agua fresca for guests, I do it this way. I only had basil on hand…but yes, mint would be delicious! Made with just four ingredients (including water!) The long love affair between Fox News and Trump may be over. This sounds delicious! Simply stir the agua fresca before serving, pour over ice and enjoy. Ooooo this sounds pretty unique and tasty!!! This drink sounds interesting. *Percent Daily Value based on a 2,000 calorie diet. This commenter is a Washington Post contributor. My son is obsessed with Watermelons so I bet I could get him to drink this! Nothing beats a cool, refreshing drink on a hot summer day. My childhood!!! This looks amazing! https://www.rebootwithjoe.com/watermelon-basil-agua-fresca-recipe Make Ahead: The drink can be refrigerated a day in advance. I’ve made this with other fruit too such as mango and mixed berries! Washingtologists consistently post thought-provoking, timely comments on events, communities, and trends in the Washington area. Perhaps you are like me and you had a bumper crop of basil this year (and are tired of making pesto to use it all up!). Wow! Fact Checkers contribute questions, information and facts to The Fact Checker. Combine half the watermelon, lime juice, ginger, sugar, salt and basil leaves in a high-powered blender; blend on high speed for 30 seconds, or until smooth. and look at that cute little one. From Washington Post social media editor Tanya Sichynsky. In some cases, contributors are sources or experts quoted in a story. This looks so refreshing. If you prefer the look of a clear, pink liquid, you may strain the watermelon puree before adding the basil, lime and sweetener. A cookie crumb crust is as easy to make as cookie dough. This sounds delicious! Replies to those posts appear here, as well as posts by staff writers. I think mint would have been more ideal (for the general public) but I’m a huge fan of basil so it worked for me! I would definitely make this. We have a ton of raw honey here…how amazing is it that our family members make it and we get to grab a fresh jar when we need it?! Nice job! I love, love that you added basil, stepping it up girl! Some common ingredients used to prepare this refreshing drink include; cantaloupe, mango, guava, lemon or lime juice, and fresh herbs such as mint….or in this case, fresh basil from our garden. Add the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth. Either way, the agua fresca will naturally separate upon standing. We are so excited for watermelons to be back in season again. Among the criteria for featured comments: likes by users, replies by users, previous history of valuable commenting, and selection by moderators. Here’s what you need to know about getting a coronavirus test at the airport, 8 trusty tips for hosting a cookout in a public park (no holiday required). Weather Watchers consistently offer thought-provoking, timely comments on climates and forecasts. I am definitely going to try it! When you scale a recipe, keep in mind that cooking times and temperatures, pan sizes and seasonings may be affected, so adjust accordingly. If you are feeling lazy you can add the lime, sweetener and whole basil leaves to the blender while you are pureeing the watermelon (but it will turn the juice a darker, less pink color). Very refreshing! This commenter is a Washington Post editor, reporter or producer. Nothing beats a cool, refreshing drink on a hot summer day. Funny because I LOVE watermelon but I literally can’t stand melon?!? I do like to switch things up sometimes . I am really going to have to try this one. Oh, looks so refreshing! Add the water and stir to blend well. https://www.bitesforfoodies.com/recipes/watermelon-basil-agua-fresca Nothing wrong with watermelon. My 8 year old would love it too! Going to have to try this recipe for summer! It’s so refreshing and sweet…and NOT full of preservatives and sugar! lol! SuperFan badge holders consistently post smart, timely comments about Washington area sports and teams. For the dramatic, nostalgic look of meringue-topped pie, this topping delivers.