so amazing. Takes minutes and tastes amazing! Best Chicken Fajitas Give them a try! Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on April 02, 2013: Sarahmarie, I always love a good review on my favorite salsa. Sprinkle with lime salt and serve with homemade salsa. Before meeting Gloria, I assumed that salsa or picante sauce would be too difficult and time-consuming to prepare at home. Must give it a try. I also dont want it to runny so it runs off your chips, so i just "pulse" it a few times. Vespa's recipes have appeared in "Midwest Living" and "Taste of Home". I voted up and useful. Makes me hungry just looking at it, I'll try this one for our next Salsa night. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on December 20, 2014: Strangeaslife, the acidity of lemon juice lifts and freshens the flavor of the salsa. This looks like an easy salsa recipe. Here’s a few ideas: Queso (Mexican Cheese Dip) It reminds me of the good old days when I lived in San Antonio. This salsa is very tasty and easy to make, too. Your email address will not be published. Life Under Construction from Neverland on March 05, 2013: that is sooo fetch! Aanvi from United States on September 06, 2019: Homemade salsa is the best. karinagw, that sounds like some spicy salsa you´re whipping up! My grandson LOVED it. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on March 03, 2013: beingwell, thanks for the votes and share. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on March 06, 2013: viewfinders, I hope you can try this with your mom's help. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on April 29, 2013: Nik Abueva from Manila on April 29, 2013: Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on April 28, 2013: Kevin Peter, I appreciate your feedback! It's quick, easy and makes the best salsa we've ever tried. Deborah-Diane from Orange County, California on April 21, 2013: This sounds like a wonderful recipe. This is our go-to recipe for salsa. I thought it was yummy, too. im going to try this one! I also started my food journey at a young age, with my grandmother as my tutor& guide. Kenneth C Agudo from Tiwi, Philippines on May 26, 2013: Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on May 21, 2013: Nicole S, I know what you mean! I'm going to try it next time i'm feeling mexican. Enjoyed going through your evergreen hub. Sauté the tomato mixture over medium high heat until it begins to boil. We look forward to reading more from you. Audrey Howitt from California on September 06, 2013: Susan Zutautas from Ontario, Canada on September 06, 2013: I love your recipes and this one is great! Gloria was born in the United States to parents of Mexican descent and prepares family recipes passed down from generation to generation. I'll be pinning this recipe to my food ideas board. I also appreciate the vote and share. The salsa recipe looks delicious, I will definitely try it out! 6–8 large Roma tomatoes (2 lbs/1 kilo) OR 2 14.5-ounce cans whole tomatoes, drained, 2–3 hot peppers (see tips), seeded and halved, 1/2 to 1 cup (a handful or two) fresh cilantro leaves, to taste. Toy Tasting from Mumbai on July 04, 2013: Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on June 10, 2013: Las81071, I do hope you have the chance to try this recipe. Skip the queues, save your money and make it at home! Easy homemade salsa recipe made with fresh ingredients is better than any store-bought version. Thanks for the vote! Take the stems off the peppers and throw away the stems. livingsta, I'm glad you're going to try this salsa--enjoy! Simmer on medium-low for about 15 minutes, or until salsa has reduced and thickened. I will be trying this recipe for sure. Brandon Hart from Atlanta, Georgia, USA on January 09, 2014: This salsa looks so amazing. If fresh tomatoes are ripe but still firm try. thanks. If you feel the salsa looks to white from the onion this just means you need to add more cilantro to your salsa. Peg Cole from Northeast of Dallas, Texas on April 29, 2014: Beautiful pictures with easy instructions. 0 %, dried arbol chiles (8-10 dried arbol peppers for Mild, 11-15 medium, 16-20 for Hot), Fresh Mexican Tomato Salsa - Pico De Gallo. She belongs to Cook's Recipe Testers for "Cook's Illustrated". Guacamole Top a baked potato with spicy homemade salsa for a quick, low-calorie lunch. Also, voting up and awesome. Whether throwing a party or simply making some salsa for your own enjoyment, this recipe combines the perfect blend of spices and herbs for a wonderful eating experience. Frozen Margarita Slushies If you prefer smooth salsa, blend sauteed onion and garlic with tomatoes before simmering. Homemade salsa recipe takes minutes and tastes amazing! Cumin is optional in authentic Mexican salsa. How wrong I was! Thank you for taking the time to comment. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on February 28, 2014: VVanNess, I'm glad you're going to try this very popular salsa recipe! Thanks for coming by and leaving a meaningful comment. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on July 30, 2013: karinagw, thank you for the glowing report! Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on April 30, 2013: healthyfitness, I'm glad you're going to sample this salsa. After moving from Texas I could not find good Mexican, or Tex-Mex so I started experimenting on my own & with help from my wife & some of her friends. Add more hot peppers or a pepper higher on the. We have grown the ingredients and made our own fresh salsa for many years! I hope you can try it soon! Make homemade lime salt by grating a little lime zest (preferably with a microplaner) into a pile of salt. With an easy, authentic method, our salsa recipe … If using canned tomatoes, skip to step 3. Why cook the salsa? With an easy, authentic method, our salsa recipe is guaranteed to be a hit at your table! Enjoy! We also love salsa and chips and have tried many, but this is our all-time favorite recipe. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on June 07, 2016: Jancd, I appreciate you taking the time to review this recipe. Nice, never thought of making Salsa myself. It’s easier than boiling/peeling your tomatoes and adds a better flavour for your salsa. I've added a link to this hub on my "Quick and Easy Mexican Corn In a Cup" hub. All Rights Reserved | Privacy Policy. I noticed you add the lime after cooking. Add cumin, extra garlic and cilantro to amp up the flavor. Enrico Billy from shanghai on July 16, 2013: en.......looks yummy,I have had that kind of salsa in the hotel,the executive chef was american.I will do it by myself! on September 13, 2014: What a mouthwatering hub. Your email address will not be published. Thanks for coming by. Add cumin if desired. Especially love the ideas of pouring it over omelets and baked potatoes. This salsa can be made winter or summer, with either fresh or canned tomatoes. We use a skillet which is shallow enough to make a quick job of simmering. This recipe has not been tested for canning. It's simple to prepare and my favorite salsa. I will say, that it is taking significantly longer than the 10 minutes prep time for the water to simmer off (step 2), but I'm in no huge hurry....I have wine. Cilantro is also called Chinese parsley or coriander. Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork) Start with onion, cilantro, tomatoes, garlic and hot peppers. : ). great hub !!! Thanks for your comment! Thanks for the tip on the seeds. Boy, this a long comment to basically say Brava. Thank you for taking the time to comment. Joshua and Gloria, expats living in Peru, still have a powerful connection with Mexico. After you see how quickly and easily it comes together, you’ll never again buy flavorless jarred salsa! Craig Gibson from Traverse City Michigan on March 12, 2013: Where I live, it is difficult to find good salsa, so I always make my own from scratch. Or, for a smooth salsa, blend your ingredients until smooth. It's delicious, easy and healthy. For low sodium salsa, omit the salt. While you dice the onions, simmer tomatoes until water evaporates and tomatoes start to soften. Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on October 26, 2013: Leastamplbc, enjoy! The versasility of this salsa is amazing! I use 4 jalapenos, and leave some seeds in, to make it a little spicier :). My name is Karina and this is my internet kitchen hang-out. Of course, simmering time depends on burner heat level and the type of pot used. Next toss in the stewed tomatoes with juice, 1 jalepeno (sliced), 1/2 yellow onion (quarterd), 1 garlic clove, handful of cilantro, lemon juice, salt and pepper and blend til you have the consistancy desired. Let cook for 2 minutes, then remove from heat. There’s nothing better than a full bowl of fresh salsa to scoop up with corn chips or homemade tortilla chips! I love to try new recipes and this looks like a great one!! Vespa Woolf (author) from Peru, South America on April 21, 2013: Deborah-Diane, I hope you have a chance to try this with some garden-fresh tomatoes although it's just as delicious made with canned tomatoes. Thanks for taking the time to comment. Question: Why is oregano not used in your salsa recipe? Have a great week. Voted up! Thanks for the inspiration. Add the cilantro, cumin and oregano. Blend until smooth. You can choose either fresh or canned tomatoes for this recipe. I appreciate your visit! Fire-roast the chiles for smoky salsa, or try Smoke Seasoning Blend pictured in the "serving ideas" section at the bottom of this page. C E Clark from North Texas on April 28, 2013: This looks wonderful and I have to bookmark it! OTOH, right now it has a gentle heat which won't burn you out after a couple bites. Crispy Pork Carnitas (Mexican Pulled Pork), As a dip for tacos, burritos, fajitas, nachos, quesadillas – anything Mexican. You may need to increase cook time if tomatoes are very juicy. Wow.. That looks simply mouth watering. Flour Tortillas. You can also add canned green chiles to add a kick of smokiness and heat. Addictive and full of flavour, this salsa recipe rivals your favourite Mexican restaurant. By Karina 1 Comment Filed Under: Appetizers. livingsta from United Kingdom on March 06, 2013: Thank you for this easy home made recipe.