You can remove the internal hard drive and all data will be safe on that hard drive. Something like this screwdriver. It is 4tb and this takes up about half of its total space. The last option is Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software), which is an even fuller factory reset that will require you to reinstall the PS4’s operating system. How badly is it stripped? PS4 swapping hard drives in and out and still being able to you your existing p. Before we begin, you should know that a factory reset completely wipes the console’s hard drive and can even remove its system software. The internal drive? Head to your PC and download the latest system software from the PlayStation website (version 8.0). UI is very slow and sluggish. Also tried the rubber band tick as well, and it didn't work either. Yes you keep your psn account. Games that you gave up on because was too hard. You’d better click on the Settings button (on the left side of Scan) to specify file types in advance if you only need to recover certain types of data, such as MP4, AVI, and MKV. The console will wipe all data including system software, and then require you to plug in the USB device you saved the update to in order to reinstall the system software. Removing external hard drive from ps4 with games still installed on it; User Info: duality48. Put a rubber band on top of the screw, press the screw driver in hard and turn. Post a pic if you can. Have you tried the rubberband trick? Make sure the file is named “PS4UPDATE.PUP” when you save it. I have a replacement drive but the problem is that the screw to remove the PS4 HDD is caved in, so my screw driver won't work. All rights reserved. When it is finished, you’ll be able to set up your PS4 the same way you did the first time you turned it on. Considering that to access your PS4’s hard drive, you need to open an access panel, remove a screw and pull the drive physically out of the unit, this seems unlikely. The most common PS4 problems and how to fix them, How to restore your Nintendo Switch to factory settings, The best Black Friday Lego deals 2020: Sales to shop now, The best Black Friday mattress deals for 2020: Casper and Nectar, Best Black Friday electric toothbrush deals 2020: Oral-B and Philips Sonicare, How to make money in Animal Crossing: New Horizons, Xbox Game Pass Ultimate subscribers can get a 30-day Disney+ trial, Spider-Man save data will carry over to the PlayStation 5 remaster, The best RPG games you can play right now. I just had a question? Not sure how else to proceed. Grab an external hard drive or USB flash drive with about 1.1GB of free space. You're browsing the GameFAQs Message Boards as a guest. You can put your save files on USB or in the cloud beforehand, so they will be safe. Can i put ps4 in restmode while copying from internal to external storage? Start a new thread to share your experiences with like-minded people. Thanks for the link and info. Lol yeah I tried this. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Below are step-by-step instructions to complete a factory reset on your PS4, whether you’re rocking an original model, a Slim, or a Pro. PS5 games can't be stored on external hard drives, Having a REALLY hard time deciding my next RPG. The other option, Initialize PS4, is the big one that will clear your hard drive of data, including downloaded games, saved game data, and anything else you’ve added to the console since buying it. 3. Upgrade your lifestyleDigital Trends helps readers keep tabs on the fast-paced world of tech with all the latest news, fun product reviews, insightful editorials, and one-of-a-kind sneak peeks.Digital Trends may earn a commission when you buy through links on our site. I know for some of the larger screws, you can buy drill bits that creates a new hole essentially with one end and the other end use it to unscrew the newly created hole. In order to back up data using the cloud, you’ll have to have a PlayStation Plus account, which gives you 100GB of storage space. Select Deactivate and select Yes on the following screen. Using a Phillips screwdriver remove the four screws from the sides of the hard drive case (see diagram below). Sign back into your account and head back to the settings for the final steps. Can I intialize the Ps4 without deleting his account? Tried to both rebuild and reinitialize the PS4 and it didn't fix it. So here are the step-by-step guide on how to remove PS4 hard drive. DIdn't work unfortunately. If you’re having software problems with the operating system, you’ll need to pick Initialize PS4 (Reinstall System Software), but there’s another step in the process to do first. I have a replacement drive but the problem is that the screw to remove the PS4 HDD is caved in, so my screw driver won't work. It will beep once when you first touch the button, and then again before booting up into Safe Mode. Some sources say it is while others say it’s not, I would really really like a clear answer. If that’s the case, the Activate option will be grayed out, and Deactivate will be the only choice you can select. As I would like to know so I can get the white destiny bundle. Thanks. For the purposes of this guide, you only need to worry about the bottom two options —  we’ll be skipping Clear Learning Dictionary. I just had a question? As in the Settings menu, in Safe Mode, you can choose Restore Default Settings to reset everything in the PS4 to its original software settings but keep your data. I've tried using pliers a well but they just keep sliding off the edges. You should back up any data you want to keep, such as images, saves, and video, to an external device or to the cloud. Sometimes putting a rubber band or something similar inbetween the screw and the screwdriver works for me. As long as the PS4 has saved its data to the drive and has been turned off correctly, the data is safe. ResetEra Games of the Decade Awards (2010-2019), https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/How+to+Remove+a+Stripped+Screw/13213. Removing the Hard Drive. You can also choose Initialize PS4. How do I share one PSN Plus membership with two PS4's? Not sure how else to proceed. Select [Sound/Devices] > [Stop Using Extended Storage] on the quick menu. In researching I see it accepts external storage but, not to download games. what happens when you replace your hard drive? Put a rubberband between the screw and the screwdriver to get additional grip. I would like to purchase a PS4. Do you have to re format the hard drive if you put it in another ps4 console and still be able to use you existing account? This all depends on the method you would use in wiping the hard drive. The reason I say that is because I want to go all digital with my games. Your hub for everything related to PS4 including games, news, reviews, discussion, questions, videos, and screenshots. With the backup safely stored on your external drive and the PS4 turned off (not in sleep mode), you can safely remove it and set it aside. Miss this step, and you’ll encounter a host of other problems when you sign on to your new console and try to play your games. You’ll want to deactivate the machine as your primary PlayStation 4. Usually, this is a last-resort effort to ensure the functionality of the system. I would like to purchase a PS4. Hold it for about eight seconds. PS4 hard drive removal is pretty easy. Privacy PolicyCookie SettingsDo Not Sell My InformationReport Ad. We want to create an inspiring environment for our members and have defined a set of guidelines. 3. This is an even bigger wipe than the previous full initialization, removing all software from the console. GODFALL flops hard with a laughable 62 Metacritic score. amloprinzi 6 years ago #1. Thanks. It’s one of the reasons we’re looking forward to the upcoming release of the PlayStation 5 on November 12, 2020. I've tried using pliers a well but they just keep sliding off the edges. Press J to jump to the feed. If you pulled the drive out sharply enough, it might cause physical surface damage to the drive, resulting in a drive that would then be a ticking time. There are two ways to reset your PS4 — From the console’s dashboard or in Safe Mode if the console is having boot-up issues. Unless your PS4 hard drive starts making noise, one of the following suggested solutions can fix that problem. I was looking to do the same as you with the new white version. duality48 2 years ago #1. I have 2 games da:I and shadow of mordor that are already taking 75 gigs of space. The PS4 website says I have to properly disconnect my external hard drive before I unplug the hard drive.. I found this to be very helpful. About losing data, it will happen due to formatting, even if you convert it to an external hard drive. You can definitely replace the hard drive in the PS4 but it needs an internal hard drive to function (unlike the Ultra Slim PS3 which has a 12GB flash drive integrated). Factory resetting the PlayStation will erase all of your data from the system, so performing this process without backing up your save data will cause you to start from scratch. Copyright ©2020 Designtechnica Corporation. Not all technology is perfect, and that includes our gaming systems. Install the New Internal Hard Drive. DeathEater30 5 years ago #1. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED. This is probably because of the existence of bad sectors.You can fix that only by connecting your PS4 hard driv… All what you need to do is to have a compatible screwdriver to unscrew the drive and then pull it out. Click on Initialization and you’ll be presented with a few more options. One you’ve it with you, you’re now ready to dismantle the PS4 stock hard drive and remove it. Sometimes PS4 hard drive doesn’t make any noise, and it works fine for a while before freezing. Don’t set it to Rest Mode. It's a pain hah. PS4 swapping hard drives in and out and still being able to you your existing p; User Info: amloprinzi. And at that point all data will be lost. The worst is when you’re trying to play a game and it freezes before you get a chance to hit a save point. Inside that folder, create a folder and name it “UPDATE” in all caps. Games and apps keep crashing. (You can also double click on the PS4 drive to perform a full scan directly.) It's an incredibly easy to strip screw that they used. The hard drive bay is located under the shiny pane… What if you take it out from one PS4 and you put it in the same PS4. Start in the settings menu and find the option for Account Management. The thing is, once you put that hard drive back in a ps4, it will be formatted by that ps4 upon reboot. Once you’ve initialized the wipe, the PS4 will give you a progress bar showing how long it’ll take, but expect it to take even longer as the console goes through multiple steps. Do not remove the rubber inserts from the screw holes. The thing is, once you put that hard drive back in a ps4, it will be formatted by that ps4 upon reboot. JavaScript is disabled. This will restore your hard drive and software settings to the factory default but it will leave the operating system software intact. So I think my PS4 HDD is dying. Do it as described above by fully powering down your PS4 and then holding the power button until it beeps twice and boots to Safe Mode. Be sure to back up any save data you may have before starting the reset process. 6. Any time you replace an internal drive you will need to format it. Reinstall the game/app with which PS4 freezes. It’s the same as the option above (available in the Settings menu), and you’ll be able to choose between Quick and Full initializations. So I think my PS4 HDD is dying. The largest PlayStation 4 community on the internet. Better do a backup of your saves through PlayStation Plus or a USB Drive. That setting allows you to play downloaded games offline by identifying this particular PS4 as yours. If you’re having trouble with system software or other errors that are preventing you from getting to the Settings menu and re-initializing your PS4, you can access the same options from the console’s Safe Mode. So at the average I can have about 8 or 9 more games before hard drive is full. You need to physically push the power button on the console, rather than starting it with a controller. © 2020 GAMESPOT, A RED VENTURES COMPANY. 2. Sometimes I've tried using a blunt knife on a stripped screw with success, or a flathead screwdriver if there's a bit to get a grip on the inside.