Much tastier this way, yes? ( Log Out /  Subscribe to delicious. Enter to win one of three maple ingredient boxes plus a copy of Cooking with Maple, naturally, Follow us Like us on Facebook Follow us on twitter Follow us on pinterest Print this page Email this page, Copyright 2001-2020 All Rights Reserved Delia Online, 6 x 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick slices French bread cut slightly diagonally. It’s best just to do things properly and the taste will be better too. In a stockpot or large saucepan over medium heat, bring the marinated beef, the remaining 2 cups of Guinness, and the beef stock or broth to a boil. Brush the top with the egg wash. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the top is golden and the mixture is bubbling. Peel and slice 600g of potatoes into 1cm-thick slices and parboil in boiling, salted water for 5 minutes, then carefully drain and leave for 5 minutes to cool slightly. Enter the email address associated with your account, and we'll send you a link to reset your password. And yet more. https://www.deliciousmagazine.co.uk/recipes/beef-and-guinness-stew There are few things more satisfying than cooking something amazing on a Sunday to eat on a Monday night, then completely forgetting until you get home and see it there waiting for you in the pot. Skim off any foam that rises to the top. Here’s the pie. Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Reduce the heat to medium, return the onion and bacon and all the beef to the casserole and add the Guinness, stock and herbs. Copyright British Expat Ltd © 2008–2020 All rights reserved, The Irish Pub Cookbook – Margaret Johnson. Crimping? Here’s my photo essay of how to cook beef and Guinness pie according to Margaret Johnson’s recipe. by Not Delia, 17 July 2008. Buy a packet of home-made beef pie with Guinness today. Yes, I can make pastry – but sometimes it’s just easier to buy it ready made. Just before you want to serve the beef, pre-heat the grill, spread the croutons with the mustard and sprinkle them with the grated Gruyère, then arrange them on top of the meat and pop the casserole under the grill until the cheese is bubbling. LOL! This began as a Delia recipe and quite soon became a Lucy recipe as I went completely off piste by adding new ingredients and eventually not following the recipe at all. There is no try.” – Yoda], 1 tablespoon cornstarch [cornflour] Oh, sh.., I forgot to put the Guinness in – but it won’t go to waste. ], 3. 4. This is food we’re talking about here. I’ve decorated it with little pastry hearts because it was made with love. You don’t need to obey orders. One teaspoon of cornflour isn’t enough to thicken it. I may have been a bit harsh on Martha Stewart, though. Now gradually stir in the beer and, when it's all in, let the whole thing gently come up to simmering point, and while that's happening add salt, freshly milled black pepper and the thyme and bay leaves. In the 1960s, every other restaurant was a bistro and every other bistro served carbonnade de boeuf à la flamande, a traditional Flemish recipe that translates as beef in beer. 3 to 4 large mushrooms, sliced (optional). Win one of 3 Maple ingredient boxes plus a copy of Cooking with Maple, naturally, 2 lb (900 g) braising steak cut into 2 inch (5 cm) squares, 12 oz (350 g) onions, peeled and cut in quarters. Absolutely. Serves 4-6. Poured over half a bottle of the black stuff – Original Guinness, and simmered away to reduce, cooking out the alcohol and squirted in a tbs of tomato puree (if you fancy) Scattered a handful of mixed herbs and a couple of bay leaves Poured over a further 300ml … In a large bowl or nonreactive pot [What the heck is a nonreactive pot? As you brown the meat remove it to a plate then, when all the meat is ready, add the onions to the pan, still keeping the heat high. I’d thought she was one of these terribly housewifey types but I saw her on the telly recently and she seemed to be pretty good. The meat has been simmering for a couple of hours so now I’ll add a couple of sautéed mushrooms. Place the bacon in the dish and cook for 2 minutes, then add the carrot and onion. Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste 2 stalks celery, sliced [Nah.] The book tells you how to make pastry, but I’m not in the mood for that today. It’s not how I would usually make this – it’s maybe better to throw a handful of plain flour into the pot after you’ve browned the meat and cook for a couple of minutes. magazine this month for a half price subscription, Subscribe to the digital edition of delicious. Defrost fully before reheating in a pan until piping hot throughout. Serves 2. It’s so easy to prepare and the flavours are soooo good…and I don’t like Guiness! Cover and place in the oven for 2 hours. https://www.deliaonline.com/.../casseroles-and-stews/beef-in-designer-beer Add another layer of onion, pour in the Guinness, cover closely with either a lid or a double sheet of foil and cook near the top of the oven for 2½ - 3 hours, or until the steak is tender. Fill a large baking dish with the cooked stew. 2. today for just £13.50 – that's HALF PRICE! The book tells you how to make pastry, but I’m not in the mood for that today. ], combine the beef, 2 cups of the Guinness, the garlic, and bay leaves. Thanks Delicious, a new family favourite. When I manage to catch up with him I’ll throw some Guinness into the stock. Heat the remaining oil in the casserole over a high heat and fry the beef, in batches, for 3-4 minutes, until browned all over. Add the bacon and fry for a further 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. ( Log Out /  Take the flameproof casserole, place it over direct heat, then heat the oil until sizzling hot and fry the meat, 3 or 4 pieces at a time, until they turn a dark mahogany colour on all sides. If you chuck it all in, meat and liquid together at once, it’ll boil and you’ll get grey, tasteless, and stringy lumps of meat. Don’t do it. We have sent you an activation link, https://www.thespruceeats.com/beef-and-guinness-pie-recipe-435724 ½ cup cold water Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender. I love it! Sorry Delia! I would always love to try beef and guinness pie, but I hate guinness, and so never dared to have it. It will not be bitter, even if you omit the sugar like I did. I warmed it up again on Monday for about 10 minutes over a medium heat (until piping hot) before serving with a ready-made root vegetable mash. After you’ve sealed it, you can proceed to make your stew or pie filling. I’m just trying to follow the recipe here, even if I don’t agree with a lot of the instructions. This classic beef and Guinness stew recipe is a one-pot winner, plus it’s easy to make and perfect for freezing. 4 cups Guinness stout [At around £3 a can here, I’ll only use about half a can and drink the rest. Maybe it would improve the flavour? I’m glad you’re enjoying the blog. I am Irish, tho ! The pie will taste fine without it, and after drinking the Guinness maybe we won’t care anyway.] 2 tbsp minced fresh flat-leaf parsley [I have to admit I’ve never heard of minced parsley. Do what I do and go for the prettiest label! In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch with ½ cup of cold water, and whisk until smooth. ( Log Out /  I used beef skirt, which is a little more expensive than some cuts of stewing meat but really tender and tasty when cooked like this and very lean. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a large casserole over a medium heat and fry the onion for 2-3 minutes until soft. So, golly gee, Elmer. ( Log Out /  If you’re interested in reading my review of this cookbook, please see The Irish Pub Cookbook – Margaret Johnson. For them, here is the latest version, the only difference being that we now have a vast range of beers with smart labels to choose from. 1 clove garlic Add another layer of onion, pour in the Guinness, cover closely with either a lid or a double sheet of foil and cook near the top of the oven for 2½ - 3 hours, or until the steak is tender. Despite being a food-freak, I’m only a seven-stone weakling and there are only two of us in this household anyway.] You must be logged in to rate a recipe, click here to login. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 1 to 1½ hours, or until the meat is tender. Delicious magazine is a part of Eye to Eye Media Ltd. But some of the stuff in this book by Margaret Johnson is just plain WRONG. Reduce to a simmer and cook, partially covered, for 2½ hours until the meat is meltingly tender. (OK, I cheated and added red wine earlier. Add the celery, carrots, onion, salt, pepper, parsley, and bouquet garni and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the vegetables are slightly tender. Using a wooden spoon, stir until all the flour has been absorbed into the juices. When you're ready to cook the beef, lower the oven temperature to gas mark 2, 300°F (150°C). Don't be tempted to taste it now or halfway through the cooking as it does take 2½ hours for the beer to mellow and become a luscious sauce. 2 bay leaves, split [I used to think that bay leaves were a bit of a faff, but they do make a difference to the flavour of things, so it’s worth the effort to use them if you can.] ], The Irish Pub Cookbook – Margaret Johnson. [Foam? https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/232694/slow-cooker-guinness-beef-stew Beef and Guinness stew is a perfect dish for a cold autumn day. Here’s Mr ND enjoying the Guinness. First, you should seal the meat by frying it in very hot oil. Here’s my photo essay of how to cook beef and Guinness pie according to Margaret Johnson’s recipe. Change ), You are commenting using your Facebook account. Here’s a photo of the browned meat simmering in its own gravy. Delicious! Lay the potatoes over the stew. Hands-on time 30 min, 2 hours 30 min to cook, 1 bouquet garni (we used fresh thyme and fresh flatleaf parsley tied together with 3 bay leaves). Ingredients prepped and ready to go. Change ), You are commenting using your Google account. I don’t really like American cooking – a lot of it is about packets of this and powders of that. 2. If you want to add herb flavours then just ditch the stalks, chop ’em up and bung ’em in. Now place the bread slices on top of the oil, then turn them over so that both sides have been lightly coated with the oil. Put the beef back in the dish. But, like other once-hackneyed 1960s' recipes, I think it's now been neglected and there's a whole new generation now who probably haven't yet tasted it. Next take the shallow gratin dish or casserole, arrange a layer of onion in it, place the steak on top and season well. You will also need a large, solid baking sheet and a large, wide, flameproof casserole. Season before serving half the stew with creamy mashed potato. [I didn’t use their pastry instructions.]. Cover with the pastry, crimp the edges, and cut a few slits in the top to allow steam to escape. You’ll end up boiling the meat and it won’t be nice. Bake for 20-25 minutes till crisp and crunchy. Just whap the cooked pastry on the top. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. This process browns the meat and it starts to make its own tasty gravy too. Subscribe to delicious. This recipe first appeared in Delia's Frugal Food. Drizzle the olive oil on to the baking sheet, add the crushed garlic, then, using either your hands or a piece of kitchen paper, spread the oil and garlic all over the baking sheet. Now remove them to a plate, add a little more dripping to the pan if you need to and brown the meat over a fairly high heat. This recipe first appeared in Delia's Frugal Food.