Hey Ms Afropolitan, So I’m asking did we give up the skill of loving one another as men and women because of the white man? Travel with heart to a local community and engage with the enchanting communities surrounding the wildlife sanctuaries of the Mpumalanga province. http://mmstudies.com/matriarchies/west-africa/ Denying things to make you feel good is like looking at the blue sky and saying there are clouds! The woman alone possesses the land, and the husband is a stranger in these vast autarchic families. Where can readers find out more about the matriarchies of Nigeria and Sierra Leone for example, or what can you share about them that proves their matriarchal rule system? I don’t see what warrants this concern though? Victoria Falls Safari Lodge is located on a plateau overlooking the Zambezi National Park in Victoria Falls. Africa is about who you know and we have partnered with the best in African Ecotourism to ensure your dream trip is in safe hands. I never thought of this as Afrotopia: i.e. Zambia I agree that it seems the nuances from region to region were vast, but certain shared aspects were VERY widespread, like polygamy. /Minna. It can also be used to differentiate a company's products or services from its competitors by promising more efficient use of power or by being more cost-effective over time. Okavango Delta, Botswana ----------------------------------- So if the clan had two eldest members, a woman and a man, old people would get together and see who better mastered what had been handed down to them. There is every reason to believe that the matriarchy of the Berber people, whose history is unknown, survived the Roman occupation. Yes it makes perfect sense now, thanks for explaining. That’s the only purpose you have on this earth – to give birth.  Matriarchy Bassari (Senegal & Guinea). I’ll try to find out more specifics if you are truly interest. This way, we also see that women have always acted both as agents and resistors of the patriarchal machinery and stop producing false ideas that women in Africa just accepted a subsumed role. Ecotourism Safari Sossusvlei Desert. but come to think of it, that too! When you travel with Matriarch Africa, we dont just create life changing experiences, we change the lives of those that make Africa worth visiting. Kruger National Park, Okavango Delta & Chobe  Matriarchy Bainuk (Guinea, Gambia and Senegal). So my thing with this is not to deny anything you say Ms Afropolitan – I think you are bang on and have laid down the challenge acutely. KenyaThe Masai Mara Ecotourism National Reserve is a land of breathtaking vistas, abundant wildlife and endless plains, and of course the famous Great Migration. The return to matriarchy in Africa is a solution for the rebalancing of our societies in need of benchmarks. Chobe, Botswana I would love to know more about the SAAFI SAAFI ruling system. The thing with patriarchy is that it affects both men and women, in different ways. We live in a kind of gender-apartheid. Whether it is to do with the household, marriage customs, production methods, the physical body and sexual freedoms, African traditions for the most part made and makes distinctions between male and female in ways that disadvantage the female. Ecotourism in Africa is tourism directed towards natural environments, intended to support conservation efforts and observe wildlife. Claiming the myth of matriarchy in precolonial societies also makes it easier to blame colonialism for patriarchy and forget of the African patriarchs. There’s too much historical evidence of male-dominant systems in precolonial Africa to even go near such a claim. Peace. The descriptions made of the Queen of Sheba make her a woman of exceptional beauty, who seduces and prefers free love to marriage. In the ancient Loango kingdom of Central Africa, the succession to the throne was matrilineal. Kruger National Park Our favourite stories from around Africa that will inspire conscious travel and encourage positive action. Gunn’s Camp is an eco-friendly camp in the Okavango Delta that borders the Moremi Game Reserve. Get the most out of your stay in Victoria Falls with this all inclusive Eco-friendly safari package that includes all the essential Victoria Falls attractions. Kruger Walking Safari Rra Dinare Camp is an eco-friendly camp located in a private concession, adjacent to Moremi Game reserve on the south-eastern side of the Okavango Delta. Rastafari – as is most of conscious peoples in the world- is deprogramming patriarchy from the vision. Select Igbo women, for example, could buy wives too but for the most part polygamy seems to have been 1 male to plural number of females. Thanks for your interest, and apologies for the delay in response. Luxury Safari Africa Among the Senufo of Côte-d'Ivoire, matrilineal and polygamous, each spouse remains in his family of origin, which is then the real domestic production unit. ----------------------------------- FEMINISM. Visit Victoria Falls, one of the 7 Wonders of the World. ----------------------------------- However, this people will always retain the memory of its founding mothers, and the central place of women in the economy and their anarchist tribal system. TanzaniaThe Ngorongoro Crater in Northern Tanzania, once a gigantic volcano, is the largest intact caldera in the world. I knew a bit about matriliniel systems, but I never confused these with “the man in charge.” Power at the end of the day is a matter of dominance of resources, control of land and cattle, and lastly war and brute violence: all advantages that have accrued to men since ” time” and recorded histories began. They were exterminated for a time, then forcibly Christianized, and from that time they kept the colonial robes to hide their sinful nakedness. Chobe Game Drive, [email protected] All rights reserved. Behind every itinerary there is a purpose. This splendid building and matrilineal civilization evokes in many aspects the Egyptian civilization. They were fierce and resistant to German colonization. Kruger National Park, South Africa We need to be careful with the categories we have inherited. ZimbabweThe eternal shimmering waters of Lake Kariba and wildlife-rich shoreline makes for endless game-viewing opportunities on a luxury Ecotourism Kariba safari. Women nevertheless retain a decisive role in society even today. Hwange National Park, ZimbabweSomalisa Expeditions Eco Camp is an eco friendly safari camp in Hwange National Park. Moremi Crossing is an eco-friendly camp built on a palm fringed island surrounded by the Moremi’s game-rich seasonal floodplains.