The crunchy topping adds a bit of spice and texture to the soaked oatmeal. It's important to purchase gluten free certified oats if your are celiac or have wheat allergy. *This post may contain affiliate links. Cut the butter into small pieces and work it into the dry ingredients with your fingers until it resembles small pea-sized crumbs. Crisp topping is amenable to more or less fruit, so you have creative license to use as little or as much as you want. Use your fingers, pastry cutter or food processor to achieve the results. 109.9 g Smush the butter cubes between your fingers until you reach small pea-sized crumbs. You want to use rolled oats and oat flour to make this recipe gluten-free. Add the rolled oats and chopped walnuts after the butter has been worked into the crumble. Please see my, Gluten-Free Oatmeal Crumble Topping Recipe. In a large mixing bowl combine all the ingredients except the butter. My original recipe says it make enough for 2 8-inch pies but a lot of times I use the whole thing on one 10-inch. I also added 1 teaspoon vanilla to the oatmeal mix. It looks similar, taste the same and I guarantee that no one will notice a difference. Thanks for the update! Bake immediately while the butter is still cold. Let it cool to room temperature and the baked oatmeal crumble topping can be stored in an airtight container for up to a week. This is our favorite way to make overnight oats! Keep the butter cold. Posted on October 11, 2019 By: Author Joshua Bruck. Bake as directed in your fruit pie recipe. If you do then the fruit turns to mush and you get a soggy chewy I mainly use it as a topping for my Vegan Apple Crisp or any fruit crumble you want to use it with! However, when you’re in a pinch then it is very easy to make oat flour at home. The rolled oats and chopped walnuts are added at the end so that they are not crushed along the way. I added 1/4 teaspoon allspice and 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg to the apple mix before topping it with the oat mix. (This is an important technique when making crisp, crumble and streusel topping. However, the fancy tools are not necessary and your fingers will work perfectly well for this small batch.After the butter has been worked into the crumble, then add the rolled oats and chopped walnuts. However, it's rare to fine gluten free oat flour, so the rolled oats are an easy alternative to fall back on. SimplyOatmeal.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Insert the pan directly into a preheated oven.Toast for about 15 minutes. Oats are naturally gluten free, but if wheat contamination is an issue you are trying to avoid then purchase oats that have been certified gluten-free.Oat flour is available at many major supermarkets. My original recipe says it make enough for 2 8-inch pies but a lot of times I use the whole thing on one 10-inch. Cool the crumble and use immediately or store in an airtight container for up to a week. I use my fingers to crumble the butter into pea-sized balls, especially because its such a small batch. This recipe for oat crumble has been in my family for years and it is so good! This site is owned and operated by Joshua Bruck. Sprinkle topping evenly over the top of muffins, quick bread, coffeecake, etc. Using the tips of your fingers, work the butter into the dry ingredients. Crumble has a tendency to burn around the edges. Spread the crumble flat onto a baking sheet and bake at 350 °F for 15 minutes. Making oatmeal crumble is quick and easy, Crunchy Apple Crumble Made With A Whole Grain Oat Topping A lovely crunchy "oaty" topping makes this apple crumble a superb dessert and the secret to a tasty apple crumble, or any fruit crumble, is not to over bake it. Especially good on apple or peach pies. before baking. Crumble topping can easily be made in a food processor or with the help of a pastry cutter. Nutrition information isn’t always accurate. Cut butter into mixture with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs. I am a formally trained professional chef with great recipes, ideas and strategies. Especially good on apple or peach pies. In this blueberry crumble, you will find that satisfying warm fruit filling we all love and a crunchy oatmeal crumble topping full of flavors complementary to the fruit filling. The crumble topping can be baked and then used as a garnish on yogurt, ice cream or oatmeal. however there are a few tips that will improve the process along the way. Raw mixture can be stored in the freezer for months. Articles are written by food experts, chefs, home cooks, and me. Mix together the oat flour sugar, apple pie spice and salt. The recipe requires only five ingredients if you don’t count the salt and walnuts, which are technically optional. Dice the butter into small cubes and then place it into the freezer while mixing the dry ingredients. Once you have gathered together the oatmeal crumble ingredients, then its time to start preparing. Make a delicious crumble pudding topping by combining ½ cup each rolled oats, wholemeal flour and brown sugar with ¼ cup desiccated coconut, a … Combine the dry ingredients, mix well and then add the diced butter cubes. You’ll need one batch — three cups — of this crisp topping for about two pounds of fruit. This helps to keep the butter extra cold instead of leaving it out at room temperature.Then, gather together the dry ingredients including oat flour, sugar, spice and salt. )I like to dice the butter into small cubes and then put it into the freezer while preparing the dry ingredients. Spread crumbs over prepared fruit mixture of your favorite fruit pie. Remove the pan before any burning start to happen, and stir around the mixture to promote a crunchier texture and rich toasted flavor.And there you have it. Note: when using this topping there is no need to dot the fruit with butter, if your recipe calls for that. Simply spread the crumble mixture onto a baking sheet and place directly into a preheated oven. If you are looking for the best and easiest vegan crumble topping, you have come to the right place. bakeware and cookware used to make this recipe. In addition, the crumble topping can be added to your favorite fruit pies, cobblers or crisps. If you choose to freeze raw oatmeal crumble, then remove the mixture, spread it evenly on a baking sheet and  immediately place in the oven to bake.You may also like: How to make apple crumble overnight oats from scratch. How can you tell if oatmeal has gone bad? Keep the nuts and rolled oats whole by adding them at the last minute, especially if you are using the food processor method. Total Carbohydrate Need an oatmeal crumble topping recipe to add on a cake, muffin or oatmeal. You can also make the oatmeal crumble topping in advance. I was gifted the Anolon bakeware and cookware used to make this recipe. Then, mix in the rolled oats and chopped walnuts. If crumbs become too dark while baking, cover loosely with foil, but remove foil the last few minutes of bakings so the topping will crisp. My name is Joshua. Work to butter into a pea-sized crumbs. There are only a handful of ingredients, and preparing the crumble topping recipe is simple to do. All Rights Reserved, How To Easily Make Pancake Cereal (Viral Tiktok Trend!). To use as it on ice cream, yogurt or as an. That way if you choose to use a pastry cutter or food process then you don’t destroy the rolled oats and walnuts during the process.It’s important to move quickly so that the butter stays cold and does not soften to room temperature.It’s important to move quickly so that the butter stays cold and does not soften to room temperature. Great share! 8 tablespoons cold vegan butter/margarine. This gluten free oatmeal crumble is easy to make and only uses a few ingredients.The recipe requires only five ingredients if you don’t count the salt and walnuts, which are technically optional. Share your easy oat recipes with me on Instagram! Preheat the oven, because the butter needs to be cold when placed into the oven. When fully baked, it will keep for about a week in an airtight container and also holds up for months in the freezer.Furthermore, the unbaked mixture can be frozen. Look for gluten-free labeling on rolled oats and then you can turn those oats into oat flour for this crisp topping. Tips from our Bakers To bake streusel for sprinkling over yogurt, spread the mixture on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake in a preheated 325°F oven for 15 minutes, stirring at 5 … Need an oatmeal crumble topping recipe to add on a cake, muffin or oatmeal. If the crumble has softened after a few days in a container or after being stored in the freezer, then briefly toast it in an oven or toaster for a few minutes to freshen it back up. Fully baked crumble can also be kept in the freezer for month. Here is a gluten free oatmeal crumble topping recipe that is easy to make. Also, the topping really does stay crispy, unlike many apple crisp Oatmeal crumble topping can be baked by itself and sprinkled onto a variety of dessert-like dishes, or it can be baked directly on top of fruit pies, muffins and cookies.Cookies, muffins and fruit pies should be baked as directed. The crumble will toast while forming a crunchy crust on the baked goods. Learn the basic and tips for making homemade crumble topping using gluten free ingredients.. Hello! This gluten free oatmeal crumble is easy to make and only uses a few ingredients. 36 %. Do not defrost. Old-Fashioned Apple Crumble with Oat Topping Recipe: Homemade apple crumble is a humble dessert made with simple ingredients – oats, flour, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, butter and apples. Pay close attention to the crumble as the timer counts down the last few minutes. Your email address will not be published. You can also buy oat flour and skip the at-home oat processing all together. Don’t let the butter soften otherwise crumble will turn into a large cookie rather than be a crumble topping. This website is full of easy recipes and practical tips you could do with oats and oatmeal. All of the ingredients used in this fruit crumble were traditionally found in Grandma’s pantry, and they are in ours as well which makes it an easy recipe to whip up for last minute guests. In total, you are looking at 15 minutes of baking time, but that really not too bad because the house will smell like toasted oats and aromatic cinnamon. When the components are fully mixed, then its time to add the butter. When baking crumble topping by itself, then evenly spread the raw oatmeal crumble topping onto a baking sheet with wax paper.