Baked risotto balls are relatively quick and easy to put together (if you have already made and chilled the risotto). Using a teaspoon, take a tsp of risotto rice and place in the palm of your hand, loosely shape the base into a ball. Chill in the fridge while the oven heats up to 190C/375F/gas 5. If you like your arancini balls saucy, you can mix a little of your marinara sauce in the rice mixture. Push each ball flat, fill with 1tsp of tomato sauce and a piece of mozzarella, then bring up the edges of the arancini to create a ball. 1 large egg, beaten, can add 1-2 Tablespoons water, cream, half and half or milk Once they are all made you can choose to refrigerate until you are ready to cook or put straight into the pre-heated oven for 20 minutes until golden brown, and crispy. You can use any sauce for dipping. We make them around  2 inches. A ball of risotto rice, seasoned and flavoured and stuffed with cheese, coated in breadcrumbs and traditionally deep fried. Breaking up the tomatoes with the back of a spoon as they start to break down. Thanks Tracey!I’m so happy your son approves . Explore the site for creative ideas, tips, and inspiration! I started by frying them, which gave an amazing true to style texture and finish but I’m not a fan of frying, and I don’t have a fryer so I decided surely I could make something equally delicious by oven baking them. salt and pepper to taste, Plus 1 egg to blend in rice. 1 cup cooked rice, (keep the rice moist and warm to use) Place flour, beaten egg, and crumbs each with its own plate or bowl. I loved that there aren’t tiny pieces of rice to clean up from the high chair, floor, walls, Rory’s hair, clothes….. Have you tried this recipe? If you want to make them Greek style, add some chopped Kalamata olives and green onions. Finn (3) was given the task of forming balls. 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella Read more, Receive family friendly recipes, delivered weekly to your inbox, for FREE! So easy to make to. For our recipe, we mix the cheese in with the rice so the whole inside is chewy and cheesy. Pour the Filippo Berio Light and Mild Olive Oil onto the breadcrumbs and toss together so they are coated in the oil. That would just be too much for me! Preheat oven to 425°F. Then you can let them reach room temperature, coat, and bake. Find me sharing more kind-friendly inspiration on Pinterest and Instagram. Also, (if using leftover rice) you would be reheating to make the balls and then reheating again after freezing, which is not recommended. *This post was updated January 2018 with some new pictures and with more detail added to the recipe. These days, we may be using rice more often. I dipped the rice balls in flour then egg and finally rolled them in breadcrumbs. If you like quick and easy pantry cooking ideas, check out some of our other recipes like our Traditional Cuban Rice Recipe Moros Y Cristianos and Veggie Noodles Like Zucchini Spaghetti. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Great to know you freeze arancini with no issues . Place a piece of diced mozzarella in the middle and then take another teaspoon of cooked risotto and shape around the mozzarella, ensuring the mozzarella is pushed into the middle so the risotto surrounds. Dip the risotto ball into the beaten egg. I’ve used Tagliatelle but you could use a rage of Garofalo Pasta shapes for this sauce. We have been doing baby-led weaning for a few months now and it is going really well but I do struggle with the major clean up after every meal. 2 tablespoons chopped parsley, fresh if you have. Sure! This side can be served or hot or cold, it can also make a delicious main dish. That was 2005.. Never seen them before, nor heard of them. To do it this way, you might want to add a little more Panko to your coating mixture to get a little more crunch. Pre-heat the oven to 200 degrees (fan oven). Scoop risotto and roll rice into a 1-inch sized balls. He struggled to coat and dip them, so I took over that task, but older kids would manage no problem. Place flour in a shallow bowl, beaten eggs in a separate shallow bowl, and bread crumbs and a third shallow bowl. Oven baking still gives a great crispy crust. 4. Top tip: Make sure the mozzarella is firmly in the middle of the risotto, and surrounded by the rice otherwise it will ooze out of the filling. 2. Roll each ball into the flour then dip into the egg and finally coat with the breadcrumbs. Pre heat oven to 180c / 350F and line baking tray with baking paper / silicon mat. Roll the balls in the flour, egg, then breadcrumbs, in that order. As in straight from a street vendor or served up in a rustic trattoria with all the love and passion of an Italian poured into it. Don’t get me wrong, traditional in this instance would always be my preferred option. Blitz for 30 seconds until smooth. I would usually make this recipe with leftover risotto rather than making the risotto, cooling it and then preparing the balls on the same day. Remove from the heat and transfer the sauce to a blender. 1/2 teaspoon dried basil Arborio, Vialone Nano and Carnaroli are the most common varieties. I have tried this with various risottos, from lemon and mascarpone to asparagus and pea, and sausage and tomato – all work in my opinion it just depends what your reference is, the key is to not make anything with large pieces of veg or meat in, you want a smooth finish. Save the rest of the sauce for a quick and easy pasta dinner, it can also be frozen. However you can substitute them with dried breadcrumbs. Hover over "serves" value to reveal recipe scaler. Looking for more healthy kid recipes?Sign up for my free recipe newsletter to get new family friendly recipes in your inbox each week! Place the flour, beaten egg and breadcrumbs in 3 separate bowls. Hi! I freeze arancini all of the time. Before you start have your flour and breadcrumbs on separate plates and your egg beaten in a small bowl. We treat your personal data with care, view our Privacy Policy here. Optional: You can add other ingredients as you like such as caramelized onions, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, etc. 1. Line a baking sheet with parchment. Bake in the pre-heated oven for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Pin to your Favorite Recipe board on Pinterest. My son said the risotto balls were better than he had at a restaurant recently. Turn over and bake for another 7-8 minutes or until all golden brown. Then roll the risotto ball in the flour to give it a light dusting. 7. To make the dipping sauce While the arancini are baking make the sauce. You can really make them any size you desire, ours were roughly one and a half tablespoons each and I made 12 balls from 3 cups of cooked risotto. Leave to stand for a few minutes before serving, either on their own or with a tomato sauce. Serve with your favorite marinara or other sauce for dipping, set on top of the sauce, or pour the sauce over the Italian rice balls. The principle is the same. Thank you, I love to hear kids getting involved in the kitchen . This is one to make and then use the rest of the sauce for pasta or freeze for a later date: 1 tsp dried herbs, basil, oregano, Italian mixed whatever you’ve got! Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder Alternatively book a private workshop - email [email protected] to find out more, Get recipes, latest products, events and savings to your inbox, We treat your data with care, view our Privacy Policy. Place Italian rice balls on a greased or nonstick sprayed baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees F for about 8-10 minutes until you can see them browning. Timing depends on your oven and the size of your Italian rice balls. I would love to know how it went, please leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @healthylittlefoodies. Shape the risotto into 10 balls. If you just want to save a little time, you can make the rice balls without the coating and refrigerate or freeze them until you’re ready. This is a great recipe to get your kids involved in the kitchen. But you could add spinach, cook chopped vegetables, ground meat, or sausage as well. Of course, it depends on how big you make the rice balls. Thai, Indian, Greek, Spanish, and others would all work well. Garnish with fresh parsley, basil, or other herbs or add some fresh veggies to the plate. I personally feel panko breadcrumbs produce the best result in this recipe. Based on the concept of traditional Italian arancini balls, which use risotto, our recipe can use whatever rice you have around. Preheat the oven to 180C/160C Fan/Gas 4. Sauce for dipping or pouring over your Italian rice balls. Arrange arancini on the paper and spray generously with oil. Italian Inspired recipes, Pasta Making Workshops & Online Store, Coffee Lovers Gift Set | Hand Carved Coffee Scoop + Italian Style Ground Coffee, The Candle Collection by Daffodils and Rhubarb, Hand Carved Cooking Spoon by Will Priestly, Beeswax Wraps | Mixed Size Pack of 3 x BeeBee Wraps, Beeswax Wraps | 3 x Medium Sized Wraps | The Cheese Pack, Vegan Leaf Wrap | Mixed Size Pack of 3 by BeeBee and Leaf, follow my recipe for sausage and tomato which makes a delicious filling, Cappelletti with Blue Cheese, Spinach, Broccoli and Green Beans, White and Green Bean Salad with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, 50g breadcrumbs, I have been using Panko Breadcrumbs, 2-3 tbsp of Filippo Berio Mild and Light Olive Oil. Can these be made a day or two in advance? We also use our favorite marinara sauce for dipping. Perfect! Bringing cultures and people together through food and drink. You can do that as well. For French try a little watercress, lemon, and Herbs de Provence. Hi Marianne, sorry I meant to freeze. Get the latest recipes, products and events to your inbox, plus save 10% on your first order. 3yo and 1yo loved helping make these too. Arancini are risotto balls coated in breadcrumbs and deep-fried, they are usually stuffed with ragu, mozzarella and peas. And finally arancini can be served straight up as a finger food snack or as part of a sharing platter, but I also love serving them with a smooth tomato sauce as a starter.