But I thought it was sort of clumsy in terms of how certain parts related to things unavailable to someone who purchased the book only. It holds a specific view of God, which is touted as superior and more enlightened than the beliefs of most other religions. I recommend it to those who are already Christians as well as to those who have doubts and objections. I am looking forward to reading Keller’s book asap. 6:10, Heb. For the authors of the WCF, the focus of God’s activity in the creation is anthropology (God in covenant with man, i.e., from the covenant of works to the covenant of grace in Christ). I found myself significantly more engaged by the second half of The Reason for God, “The Reasons for Faith”. 6:24-34, Eph. It just doesn’t appear to be one. The book is very well written and easy to follow. Awesome study and study guide. Reviewed in the United States on August 11, 2017. Worth getting if you want to know how to defend and explain your faith as a Christian, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 2 July 2018. Hawking is admitting that the anthropic principle is a hard topic, and following this quote is a summary of various scientific work that Hawking and others did to learn about why the universe appeared to be fine-tuned. I needed to balance myself by reading something from the other side of the argument. It wasn't as clever and intelligent as other Tim Kellers books. Well, in light of this analysis, is there something positive to glean from Keller’s book? John R. Muether, Cornelius Van Til: Reformed Apologist and Churchman (Phillipsburg, NJ: P&R, 2008), 224. 2,182 global ratings | 1,465 global reviews. I appreciate you investigating the boom for yourself. It's certainly the best book I've read of its type. Citation 7 from Ian Barbour lead me to his book When Science Meets Religion. The freethinking of one age is the common sense of the next. I am calling this review "critical" because I want to "critique" the book in the old fashioned sense - interacting with it, looking and strengths and weaknesses and most of all engaging with a few of the major questions and issues raised by it. No view of God can be proven, but that does not mean that we cannot sift and weigh the grounds for various religious beliefs and find that some or even one is the most reasonable’ (121). I agree with Bill. From God’s perspective, however, the argument is over; redemptive and covenantal history is fulfilled. Prime members enjoy FREE Delivery and exclusive access to music, movies, TV shows, original audio series, and Kindle books. Too much hyped book. But the title does not really convey that for me. North Bay, ON, P1B 0C7, Philadelphia Conference on Reformed Theology, Blue Ridge Institute for Theological Education, Quakertown Conference on Reformed Theology, International Council on Biblical Inerrancy, How to Love Our Neighbors (part 2): By Keeping the Law. Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 13 April 2017. Although Keller tells us more than once that ‘there cannot be [an] irrefutable proof for the existence of God’ (127), in the second part he argues that God’s play ‘has greater power to explain what we see and experience than does any other competing account’ (213). That being said, I will say that Objection #3 in particular is something I’ve never really had contention with. At this point I need to be fair to Dr. Keller. He writes, It seems extremely unlikely that this would happen by chance. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features. Keller’s Christianity is pretty open, extremely culturally diverse, but still primarily worships the deity of Jesus Christ. But I think most scientists prefer to shy away from the religious side of it.”. Prime members enjoy fast & free shipping, unlimited streaming of movies and TV shows with Prime Video and many more exclusive benefits. The apologists know the arguments don’t work anymore so they put their own spin on them. As you imply, they are heavy on bias (if not lies), weak on proof, and manipulated for the believer. If I were to give this book to such a friend it would only be after cutting out large chunks of it but it does recognise the key issues and it does contain some genuine insights and is at least a serious attempt to address the all too obvious fact that for many people Christianity simply makes no moral or intellectual sense in the 21st century. Of course there is a great difficulty caused in the minds of many when we discover people from other faiths and other cultures who are "good" or "kind." Wow. I recommend the reading of Keller, Bushnell, and Hodge alongside of each other. Provides intelligent answers to doubts conserning Christianity, Reviewed in the United Kingdom on 12 December 2012. I thank you for the work you do and that you share it here. Thank you for reading and reviewing that book — so that I won’t have to read it. Proof is for the weak. Change ), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Disabling it will result in some disabled or missing features.