Copyright © 2020 Saveur. Rub cumin mixture over top and bottom sides of fillets. Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 1/1/20) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 1/1/20). Powered by the Parse.ly Publisher Platform (P3). In the style of many Arab cooks, I poured fresh lemon juice over the fried fish and added a good layer of parsley. © 2020 Discovery or its subsidiaries and affiliates. The sauce is best used immediately, but will keep for a few days in the refrigerator. It was very tasty, easy to make, and fast. I really liked the cumin/chili powder combination (watch the salt) on the fish before breading. Transfer to a small bowl and … Raymond Hom; Styling: Pamela Duncan Silver. I'd never fried fish before -- even though I'm from the south. I've never fried fish and I was shocked at how moist it was. From chips and dip to one-bite apps, finger foods are the perfect way to kick off a party. Offers may be subject to change without notice. Remove from the heat and add the orange and lime juices. MyRecipes.com is part of the Allrecipes Food Group. With just a few ingredients that are staples in my spice rack, this recipe was very good. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Transfer to a small bowl and mix in the lemon juice. If using whole fish, cut a few deep slashes in the sides to allow the seasonings in and to speed cooking. Grind together cumin, garlic, parsley, and salt with a mortar and pestle. The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Condé Nast. Very easy to make and tasty. 12 cloves garlic, pureed or finely chopped. Heat 1/4 cup oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Soak eight or 12 8-inch wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes. I also found that the fish cooked faster than the times given in the recipe. In a small pan, over a medium heat, warm the olive oil. Prepare grill. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chili-cumin-fried-fish-101408 In a small bowl or cup, mix cumin with onion purée and a little lemon juice to make a paste. https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/chili-cumin-fried-fish-101408 I used panko and essentially just ended up with plain fried fish. Nutrition I agree with those that say that the spice mixture is completely lost in the cooking. Combine cumin, salt, garlic powder, and peppers; sprinkle over fish. Stir in oil. I made this dish with tilapia. Remove from the heat and add the orange and lime juices. 10.2 g 4 (6-ounce) salmon fillets (about 1 inch thick), skinned. Allrecipes has more than 370 trusted cumin recipes complete with ratings, reviews and cooking tips. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. It was okay. I also panfried the fish instead of deep frying to cut out the fat. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. MyRecipes is a registered trademark of Meredith Corporation All Rights Reserved. It seems simple at first, but then healthy spoonfuls of a cilantro- and garlic-packed salsa verde, which is assembled in the food processor or blender while the fish cooks, turn it into an dinner that’s packed with both color and flavor. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. Dip fish into eggs, then into matzo meal, coating completely. Transfer fish to paper towels and drain. The fish was very flavorful and will make again for Passover and also year round. Excellent!! 2 pounds white fish fillets (such as sea bass, orange roughy or red snapper), each about 1 inch thick. I will make again. Also made the Bell Pepper and Corn Sauté and they go very well together. For an easy supper that you can depend on, we picked out some of our tried-and-true favorites that have gotten us through even the busiest of days. In a small pan, over a medium heat, warm the olive oil. 184 calories; calories from fat 40%; fat 8.2g; saturated fat 1.3g; mono fat 2.7g; poly fat 3.2g; protein 25.4g; carbohydrates 0.4g; fiber 0.3g; cholesterol 70mg; iron 1.3mg; sodium 350mg; calcium 21mg. I like it with lots of lemon. Because of this I didn't add any salt when I seasoned it (although I did do the salt rub in the beginning.) Offers may be subject to change without notice. Fish Tacos with Honey-Cumin Cilantro Slaw and Chipotle Mayo I loved a local chain restaurant's fish tacos so much, that I had to try to duplicate them. Place cumin, salt, and pepper in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. It was a huge hit for dinner. I couldn't find plain matzo meal, so I used Manischewitz matzo ball mix, which already contains some mild seasoning, including salt. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Combine first 4 ingredients in a small bowl. I really rinsed the fish too. Bake, basting often, until fish is cooked through, about 30 minutes. Seriously, one of the worst recipes I've ever encountered on Epicurious. This turned out so much better than I thought it would and it tasted great with cilantro, lemon and olive oil for frying. Very tasty and easy to prepare! Milliken & S. Feniger, all rights reserved, Sign up for the Recipe of the Day Newsletter Privacy Policy, Pan-Seared Tuna with Avocado, Soy, Ginger, and Lime, Crispy Orange-Stuffed French Toast Sticks, Grilled Strawberry Kebabs with Lemon-Mint Sauce. 4 (6-ounce) sablefish or white sea bass fillets, 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley. Garnish with lemon wedges and cilantro sprigs. They combine flour tortillas filled with breaded, fried tilapia, layered with chipotle mayo, topped with napa cabbage, dressed with honey-cumin sauce, and served with pico de gallo, sour cream, chips and salsa. Heat a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat, and add fish. All rights reserved. Info. MyRecipes may receive compensation for some links to products and services on this website. Fast, simple, and an outstanding flavor. Most crazy-delicious reader-submitted recipe ever.We made an important update to this recipe, changing it for sustainability. A mixture of whole cumin seeds, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, and panko (Japanese breadcrumbs) makes a flavorful crispy topping for baked salmon. It's worth the tiny bit of effort to toast and grind your own cumin seeds--the flavor payoff is huge. I recommend for an easy dinner or even to serve company. 2 teaspoons dried oregano. In a small bowl or cup, mix cumin with onion purée and a little lemon juice to make a … 4 … Good base recipe. https://www.themediterraneandish.com/baked-cod-recipe-lemon-garlic This has been been one of our favorite salmon dishes for years. Pour water and olive oil over fish and vegetables. Even my 5 year old loves it!! Add the cumin seeds and toast them 1 to 2 minutes. Great flavor and very easy to put together. Soak eight or 12 8-inch wooden skewers in water for 10 minutes. Rinse fish and pat dry with paper towels. Add the cumin seeds and toast them 1 to 2 minutes. Thread fish on skewers (use an in-and-out"basting stitch") and grill over hot coals for about five minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. In fact, I made a huge batch of the seasoning, put it in a tupperware container and put a label on it. 2 teaspoons sea salt. whole red snapper, cleaned and scaled, 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and sliced, 5 whole mild green chiles (such as anaheims). Sprinkle fish generously with chili powder mixture. Next time I might reverse that: not do the salt rub but add a dash of salt before frying. Add the garlic (cook a minute to release oils) then add, oregano, salt and pepper and cook another 2 to 3 minutes. Cook 6 minutes on each side or until fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. The spice effect was completely lost. Rub a little of the seasoning mixture on the whole fish, inside and out, or on both fillet sides. No forks or spoons required, just easy-to-pick-up party foods, so you can clean up in no time. The creamy sauce served on the side is flavored with ground cumin, citrus, and red pepper. It was good. There just wasn't much there taste-wise. Info. Bokit: The Soul of Guadeloupe in a Sandwich, The Best Natural Wine You’ll (Probably) Never Find, Chiquetaille de Mourue (Marinated Salt Cod), Ganjang Gejang (Soy Sauce-Marinated Crabs), A Passion for Pesto: Visiting the Art City of Genoa, Ganjang Gejang: A Dish You Only Make for Someone You Love, Fall 2020: Ten Things We Learned from this Season’s Best Books, Upgrade Your Lunchtime Salad With Finely Crafted Products From Northern Italy, 2 3-lb. Cook cumin seeds in a large skillet over medium heat 2 minutes or until toasted. In Morocco, a Marrakesh housewife surprised us with this cumin-infused roasted fish. this link is to an external site that may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. This is a regular in the rotation. Nice flavor, I added freshly roasted coriander & mustard seeds to enhance flavor even more. Preheat oven to 500°. If you're looking for a simple recipe to simplify your weeknight, you've come to the right place--easy dinners are our specialty. Transfer fish to waxed paper. Finally, I also squeezed the juice of a whole lemon on each fillet of fish once it came out of the pan. I used only chili powder, cumin, and cayenne pepper. All rights reserved. Rub oil evenly over fish. Many products featured on this site were editorially chosen. 1/4 cup olive oil. Next time I would try it without the salting. 3 %, small mild-flavoured fish or (4 ounce) fillets (such as flounder, orange roughy, catfish or grouper). Wrap handle of pan with foil. I may never need Halibut fillets again. Sprinkle both sides of fish with spice mixture. Cover with plastic wrap and marinate in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. Tonight we will be making sandwiches from these fillets with onion focaccia. Deselect All. Made this once and will definitely make again, super easy. Place cumin, salt, and pepper in a spice or coffee grinder; process until finely ground. Total Carbohydrate Grind together cumin, garlic, parsley, and salt with a mortar and pestle. Mix chili powder, cumin, black pepper and 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt in small bowl to blend. Sprinkle with parsley; serve with lemon wedges. Whether you're cooking for yourself or for a family, these easy dinners are sure to leave everyone satisfied and stress-free. This is a fantastic rub, especially given its simplicity. Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited. Nutrition The crust and fish were great in texture but the fish was too salty for our liking. Add fillets; cook 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Everybody understands the stuggle of getting dinner on the table after a long day. Remove fish from refrigerator and scatter carrots, potatoes, tomatoes, pepper, lemon slices, and chiles around fish. I skipped the step with the salt and didn't miss it. Use as a finishing sauce for grilled seafood, such as halibut or salmon. It originally called for Chilean sea bass--and although you can sometimes find a sustainable type of that fish (longline-caught in the McDonald and Falkland islands), sablefish (also known as black cod) and white sea bass are consistently good choices with a similarly rich, buttery texture.