Hi! Bring the dough down by reshaping it into a round. Happy to hear you fell in love with this hotteok. Stir in the sugar and yeast. You can use any seeds and nuts you like and adjust the amount to your liking. If someone has a nut allergy just leave the nuts out they are still delicious, and if you cut into it and the dough isn’t all the way cooked just pop it in the microwave for 1 min or less and enjoy. They were my absolute favorite when I was in Korea. I really enjoyed it. Combine flour, yeast, and 2 teaspoons white sugar together in a bowl. They turned out golden and crispy and gooey and sweet! I’ve your recipe all of them(awesome) Flip it over and press the dough down with a solid turner or professional hotteok press. the hodduk in the picture looks yummy…just an FYI, you need to use yeast to get the fluffy texture of the hodduk and all hodduks consist of sweet rice flour & rice flour…AP flour just won’t make the same hodduk! Great! They do this in Korea now too. This turned out to be one of the keys in getting a good texture, so you got plenty of filling in each bite and not too much bread. 271 calories; protein 5.6g 11% DV; carbohydrates 48.3g 16% DV; fat 6.7g 10% DV; cholesterol 2mg 1% DV; sodium 215.8mg 9% DV. Serve hot. What did not vary was the cinnamon sugar flavor of the filling and the fact that these must be served warm and fresh, so the exterior is slightly crisp and the filling slightly gooey. Thanks! Yes it is, and those names are used interchangeably. Mix brown sugar, 1/4 cup white sugar, walnuts, sesame seeds, and cinnamon together in a resealable plastic bag. Repeat with all remaining pieces of dough. Yay good luck! Flip the pancake over one last time then … While you can make the dough with only all-purpose flour, the sweet rice powder is what makes hotteok … עו"ד ונוטריון עומר אשכנזי | אישור נוטריון תוך 5 דקות | אזרחות זרה באירופה (גרמניה, אוסטריה, בולגריה, סלובקיה, צ'כיה) | רילוקיישן | דיני עבודה | צוואות וירושות | יפוי כוח מתמשך Although my recipe may differ from the traditional ones, my family craves it all the time. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes. If you want to cook them in a dry skillet, they will puff up more and be a bit “breadier,” tasting more like Cinnamon English Muffins than the street snack I had in Seoul. Great recipe! You can cook more than one hotteok at a time if your pan is large enough. Place margarine in a skillet, spreading around with a paper towel; heat over medium heat. Than’s again. 1/4 cup brown sugar Hi Hyosun. I'm Hyosun, and I am a Korean-American mom of two wonderful grown-up children. Copyrights © 2017 Baking Bites &trade. Perfectly Creamy Frozen Yogurt is Available for Pre-Order! When my daughter and I visited Busan (a southern coastal city) a couple of years ago, we were told that we had to try ssiat hotteok (씨앗호떡). This variation of hotteok created in Busan has become very popular all over the country. there’s not much sugar in the dough to make it sweet for the savory filling. Hi Liliane! Hotteok looks absolutely delicious! I’ve also heard of a honey variation but I’m not sure how that one is made. Add 1/4 cup of warm water to the bowl (100 to 110°F ). Have you tried this hotteok recipe? Delicious! By the way, I (fairly) recently made your Bulgogi recipe. Hotteok is a popular Korean street snack. Thank you! Did you ever get to try hodogwaja? If you have a sweet tooth, you may want to try this! You can also change the filling to whatever you like. While you can make the dough with only all-purpose flour, the sweet rice powder is what makes hotteok soft and chewy. Hotteok dough. The amount of liquid required can vary depending on the condition of your flour and the humidity level in your kitchen. I used a combination of regular sugar and dark brown sugar. Then, the lady cut one edge open and stuffed a couple of spoonfuls of the seed and nut sugar mix before folding it to serve in a small paper cup. My daughter made these and they were out of this world!! Also try my Hobak Hotteok (Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin Pancakes). Place balls, seam-side down, onto a floured surface. Stir in milk and mix until smooth. Thank you for this recipe! You can reheat it in a toaster or toaster oven and enjoy delicious hotteok any time. Add one and a half tablespoons of the filling and lightly press it down with the spoon. It’s interesting to hear all the variations, and reminds me that what I sampled on my trip was just a small fraction of all the different types of hotteok (and other street foods) out there! In a large mixing bowl, whisk together 2 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, salt and sugar. Trust me, i’ve tried making it with AP flour…please try the both rice flours so that it tastes much better. You can also change the filling to whatever you like. Knead until everything is well incorporated and a dough is formed. 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon. Can flour be replaced (gluten allergy)? Once rested, divide the dough into 6 equal pieces. You can make hotteok at home with a few basic ingredients. Does deep frying vs pan frying change the texture? Slightly thicker is ok, but the cake should be quite thin. Here, you will learn how to cook Korean dishes the way we Koreans traditionally eat at home. Repeat the process with the remaining dough. Let it sit for another 20 to 30 minutes until it doubles in size again. at least, that’s what i thought… yeah, of the recipes i’ve seen i think you would need yeast in yours… I should try making it with rice flour… hm…, http://mykoreankitchen.com/2007/01/29/korean-sweet-pancakes-hoddeok-fully-home-made-version/. I’m gonna make it tomorrow for breakfast so I’ll let you know when we’ve tried them. Work with one piece of dough at a time. Grew up on it and my mom makes it occasionally. Gradually add in the remaining flour until dough is very stiff. Hotteok is my favorite Korean treat! Cook for a minute, and then flip over. It’s a Korean pastry with red bean and walnuts inside a cake that resembles a whole walnut. They’re actually a really simple dish, but quite tasty and a nice sweet afternoon snack. 2 tbsp sugar Hi! Lightly oil your hands. 1 tbsp sugar The dough is basically made with wheat flour, sweet rice (glutinous rice) flour/powder, sugar, and yeast. I made this last week and it was great! Amazing!! I’d never tried hotteok before, and I wanted to see what they were like, so I tried this recipe out. Skip this step if using instant yeast. We are GF as well. Heaven sent. They came out perfect. You can swap some sugar with honey. Flatten the ball into a thick disk, creating a shallow well in the middle. It's a flat bread filled with yumminess. Hi Kara! Yes! Hotteok is a street food in Korea. Amount is based on available nutrient data. We love it too! i made it before and couldn't stop eating. Many vendors now deep-fry their hotteok. Take another 4 corners and pinch together, sealing completely. Place it in a warm place and let it rise until it doubles in size, about an hour. When I found your site I thought I would keep track of it, but I just found this today and I am totally hooked! Allrecipes is part of the Meredith Food Group. im allegic to nuts and this is the first one I’ve found without nuts. Place dough in the melted margarine and cook until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes per side. If I freeze the leftover hotteok, do I need to let it thaw first before reheating? Tear a big enough piece of the dough to make an about 2-1/2-inch ball. Thank you for the hard work and love you put into all of your recipes! It’s my first time making it. This isn’t a bad thing, but the version cooked with a bit of oil is just better if you ask me. Add comma separated list of ingredients to include in recipe. Pour milk mixture into the flour mixture and mix with a fork until dough is evenly combined. When my daughter and I visited Busan (a southern coastal city) a couple of years ago, we were told that we had to try ssiat hotteok. I started with a simple, plain bread dough – a non-yeast dough – and kneaded it until it was smooth. Loved the addition of rice flour! Press down for a few seconds to flatten. Hotteoks usually tend to include chopped nuts (often peanuts or walnuts) or sesame seeds in the cinnamon-sugar filling too. Required fields are marked *. I sometimes use almond milk, which is a good milk replacement for vegan hotteok. Turn once, then cook the second side until it is golden brown as well, about 3-5 minutes overall. It's a flat bread filled with yumminess. She made some with the traditional filling from the recipe above but also made some with chocolate (we are in Switzerleand… that was a must!) Most people won't think twice about serving basic cornbread when is on the table. Close bag and shake until filling is evenly combined. This recipe is my modern take on the classic version. Who wouldn’t love biting into a golden fried dough filled with a gooey brown sugar syrup and nuts from a street cart or stall on a cold winter day? I’m not going to set up a stand the next time I’m in Seoul, but they were still an excellent snack and a good recreation, with a crispy exterior and a melty center. The dough has become very complex, as vendors strive to achieve the best flavor and texture. From what I read, “sweet rice flour” is called glutenous rice flour in America. Place 1 tbsp filling in the center of the dough, then bring up the sides and pinch them together around the filling to seal tightly. The texture was nice and springy! Repeat with remaining hotteoks. I’d leave them out on the counter for 30 min or so before reheating, but not absolutely necessary depending on how you’re reheating. Some Seoul Searching « The Possible Venture, New Korean-style Izakaya FuseBox Electrifies West Oakland, Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream Sandwiches. Roll it out on a lightly floured surface into a circle about 5-6-in. There are many variations, but the classic hotteok we grew up on is made with a simple yeast dough with a brown sugar and nut filling and pan-fried in a little bit of oil. Roll each ball into a 5-inch circle using a rolling pin. wide. Carefully gather the edges together, pinching to seal. Stay in touch by following me on Pinterest, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. It’s delicious with lots of healthy seeds and nuts! It seems like every time I go to Korea I learn about a new variation or two. And don't forget to smile when you finish eating hotteok. Thank you Hyosun! Roll out the dough ball with filling inside, lightly flouring both the surface and the rolling pin to ensure that nothing sticks and tears open the dough, until you have a disc about 1/4-inch thick. I made these! Hotteok are breads, either baked or fried until crispy, that are filled with a cinnamon-sugar mixture.